Ladle + TST?

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

þsy
Match Winner

Ladle + TST?

Post by þsy »

Today me, newbie and judders played CT in a sumo clan war. It was the first I've ever done and was pretty fun!

Many people have often asked me what the score with the TST is, and sumo is generally a more popular game mode than fort. So, what my proposition to you lot is, why don't we have a 3v3 or 4v4 team monthly sumo competition, like the ladle?

Matches could be something like, first team to 1300-1700 ish. They'd last about 25 mins that way (if teams are reasonably equal) and therefore considerably shorter than a fort match. This would enable many more teams to participate without taking too long. It could be a simple knock-out system like the ladle, just with one game rather than best of 3.

It wouldn't be any harder than organising the ladle, converting a server to the right game mode takes 5 mins (well, emph did it in that time) and would attract many more to the sumo/fort game mode. Further, it would enable more to participate as only 3-4 players are required per team, so less clan dominance and more little teams!

If ladle is the first sunday of the month, then the sumo ladle thing could be on every third sunday? so there's a competition once every fortnight.

The game mode works as proved today so no criticising that! Things like a team not turning up could be resolved by a simple disqualification if team is more than 5 mins late.. Number of servers may be a problem, but public sumo servers could be converted to it, as well as all the already existing ladle servers - could be up to 9ish servers??

Other problems may be harder to solve, but I'm sure we could get round them? What do you reckon? Show me some encouragement, this could work!

EDIT: Yes, I meant TST haha
Last edited by þsy on Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Ladle + TFT?

Post by Hoax »

What do you mean bye TFT? Do you mean TST?
Sumo is more populous generally than fort, I'm not sure about it being more popular though
Maybe you're onto something alot of mini team sumo matches have sprung up recently
Did you ever play in any of the TSTs run by durka & epsy; are you basically proposing a wiki style tourney here instead of one run by an individual?
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Post by owned »

I think he's proposing a sumo tourney with more than 2 players per team. Maybe up to 4.

The main problem I see with your proposal is that lots of people just don't have time to go to two tourneys a month. Although with the low numbers, it might just work out.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

owned wrote:I think he's proposing a sumo tourney with more than 2 players per team. Maybe up to 4.
That's what I thought too. Plus and VCL had a 4v4 sumo war a few months ago and it was very fun. There are a couple sumo servers that allow more than 2 per team, and it's an old idea that's getting some action now. Just a few weeks ago I made a map for 2 teams with the spawn points slightly outside one massive zone, which allows the team to grind slightly before the fight begins.

I'm totally into this new team-sumo idea.
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

new look at chico sumo that came into ctwf around April of 2006 :).

well i set that server up for 4 vs 4 (or whatever it was), i'll set it back up a little later tonight.
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

Has any match been recorded?
kyle
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

well those server settings are now up

Crazy tronners two team Sumo

I'd vote for having this one month and ladle the other month, there are way too many competitions that could happen but the ladle takes up 25% of a month, as Sundays seam to work best for most. Also with the size of the ladle i think that should be more of a every 2 months now.
destiny
Average Program

Post by destiny »

i also have sumo tourneys every couple of months in wild west, but its not a team one. i thought another clan did the tst so i never organized one b/c i don't want to step on toes.

as you are planning, please don't plan things for the last sunday of the month, i try to keep the ww tourneys then so they don't interfere with the ladle and such.
DDMJ

Post by DDMJ »

Another more than 2v2 gets unnecessarily crowded, which hurst higher pinged players more so than in fort.

Why don't we just revive the TST? And by "we" I mean...(any takers?)
þsy
Match Winner

Re: Ladle + TST?

Post by þsy »

Sorry for any confusion in my terrible explanation.. Yes, I am proposing a 4-per-team sumo competition, run through the wiki like the ladle, run on the third sunday of the month (or the sunday 2 weeks after the ladle)
owned wrote:I think he's proposing a sumo tourney with more than 2 players per team. Maybe up to 4.

The main problem I see with your proposal is that lots of people just don't have time to go to two tourneys a month. Although with the low numbers, it might just work out.

Personally, I disagree. A month is agess, I hate waiting so long for the ladle, especially if I can't play on that particularly sunday. Further, a sumo competition would attract the same old fort players, but loads of other players who've never even heard of the ladle. One problem I face as arrow clan leader (and am sure is the same for other clan leaders), is the number of sumo players who request to join the clan purely because of what they've seen on sumo, yet have never played a game of fort in their lives. A sumo competition run in sync with the ladle would combine the two game modes, opening more up to the fort world as well as the sumo world.
DDMJ wrote:Another more than 2v2 gets unnecessarily crowded, which hurst higher pinged players more so than in fort.
Again, I disagree. If it's 4-a-side, then there's 8 players playing at any one time, as opposed to a fort match which is 12-14 players at once. The "unnecessarily crowded" 'problem' is actually the aspect that attracts me to it most. The one match I played yesterday got so crowded in some rounds it was crazily hard to navigate, and was so much more rewarding when you prevailed as a result. teen who was spec said something along the lines of "that was some of the best sumo play I've ever seen" - and thats from the only sumo war I've ever played!
DDMJ wrote:Why don't we just revive the TST? And by "we" I mean...(any takers?)
And I would be more than happy to get this organised!

Think back to Concord's weekly Fort league idea.. It could have been really good but just wasnt practical to organise. Two competitions a month really isn't too much for most people.. Especially as it wouldn't be, for example, "Twix clan" who won the sumo competition* or whatever, it would be more personal like "þsy, his mum, his dog and his cat won, gz!", as most clans could enter up to 3 or more teams. It'd be more like "oi durka, hoop, pressure, you wanna form a team for the sumo competition?" - a lot more relaxed and chilled out. What I'm trying to say is that there wouldn't be so much clan pride at stake, so people won't be too bothered if they got beaten by another team/

I expected this idea to be shot down straight away, so your positive feedback is encouraging! Go play on the CT two team sumo server and tell us what you think

* We need a better name for this idea than 'sumo competition' haha, any thoughts?
þsy
Match Winner

Post by þsy »

Having just played another 'sumo war', it's become pretty clear that 4v4 is too many, and 3v3 is ideal. this brings an even greater range of teams which could be too many if popular. Basically, id really like it if sumo became part of the monthly rota as well as the ladle. Here are the options as I see it:

1. 2 per team TST style competition with multiple teams fighting at once, same as before except run through the wiki
2. 3 per team, two teams head-to-head
3. 4 per team, two teams head-to-head but in a larger ring than usual

The first option may run better for more teams, so this is a back up option if it becomes too big. Number 2 is my preference though number 3 may work, however it'd be a weird version of sumo! Version 2 is similar enough to sumo to be fun, enough players to be a 'team' rather than a pair, and different to sumo in the fact that you have to work hard to find space without taking your friends whilst attacking the enemies. So basically, more tactics than your usual sumo.

The 3v3 hasn't had any problems in terms of lag or playability as far as I know (so far) and could easy work. The problem is, 3 per team is half of an average fort team. So if only the usual fort players signed up, we'd have to start a round earlier than the ladle to cut down on half the teams, then the rest would run similar to the ladle. The matches would be considerably shorter though, so it may not be a problem.

I'd love to try this out soon if possible, do you think we could aim for the same month as ladle 26? For any who'd be willing to help, we'd need to work out any problems with the game mode itself, workout the right settings and how we could run this in terms of number of servers and timing etc. If we put some work into this, it may not fizzle out like the rest of the tourney ideas and we might actually get this show on the road!
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

This map works pretty good for "2 teams of 4" or "4 teams of 3".

MAP_FILE turtle/classic/sumo-faceoff-0.0.3.aamap.xml
Attachments
sumo-faceoff-0.0.2.png
grind a little!
(8.69 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
gawdzilla
Liz of the many names

Post by gawdzilla »

I played some 3v3 match together with mesca and judders against Plus, it was fun. I also miss TST as I've played ones in the past, they were only 2-teams though so 3 will be something new. Hopefully people can get around to organizing this.
destiny
Average Program

Post by destiny »

we also have an option we can swap to in ww team sumo (tag team sumo) where we enlarge the circle a bit and we have it set to 2 teams so there are usually 3-5 per team and its not all that crowded. we use it for sumo clan wars. a tourney using those settings does sound fun.

if we want 2 different types of sumo tourneys, i would be willing to host one and you can host the other. by two different types i mean tst and then like a larger team tourney. just let me know which you would like to do and i'll do the other.

i really enjoy the sumo tourneys i have been doing and i was actually considering doing them more than 4 times a year.
Robot69
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Robot69 »

I think it's a great idea. Tremor, Woned and I played a 3 vs 3 match is ct team sumo last night teams locked, felt like I had 30 ping.
-=}ID< Robo