Very glitchy graphics and Low FPS

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
Loor
Average Program

Very glitchy graphics and Low FPS

Post by Loor »

Hello,

I recently purchased a new computer and today I installed Armagetron on it.

Upon launching the game and selecting my language settings, I proceeded to join a game. Yellow Submarine if I remember correctly, though that is regardless.

First off, the menu background was very slow and jumpy, and was having trouble displaying itself behind the server names (not any other text...colours maybe?).

One I joined, I experienced extremely low FPS and very glitchy graphics.

When I say Glitchy I mean the wall texture was flashing geometric shapes(Not the coloured ones on the walls, I mean, glitchy stuff), the floor was quite similar. I couldn't see the grid except quite near my cycle. In fact, it was really quite horrible and unplayable.

I have 4GB of Ram, and 2.5GhZ Intel Core two Duo CPU, a NVidia 9800GT Graphics (Very very good, I can run powerful games like Call of Duty on full settings smoothly - It gets a 5.9 in the Graphics Aero and 5.9 in the Gaming Graphics).
I'm running Windows 7 RC 64-bit. (Built 7100).

Any help or ideas would be great.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: Very glitchy graphics and Low FPS

Post by Z-Man »

Get a proper graphics driver directly from NVidia, and potentially ditch W7Beta.
Loor
Average Program

Post by Loor »

As far as I know I have the latest driver. I'm downloading it again now, I'll let you know how it goes.

And why ditch Windows 7? It works fine for me :roll:
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Loor wrote:And why ditch Windows 7? It works fine for me :roll:
Obviously not :) The main thing here is the driver issue. Remember the early days of Vista or even the beta phase? No proper OpenGL supporting driver was available then. The same may be true now, and we do need OpenGL. If you want to see whether it's a pure AA issue, just try other pure OpenGL games. glTron or any QuakeX engine game (Jedi Knight 2, Star Trek Elite Force, of course the Quakes themselves) will do.
!TX!Ubunturocks
Average Program

Post by !TX!Ubunturocks »

NVidia has always seemed good at having there drivers opengl ready. Remember, windows 7 is very new, and bugs are going to be here and there. If you do not want to forget about windows 7, you could set up a multi operating system computer and install linux or something if you were desperate. lol I am sure windows 7 will keep getting better and updated, then we will be able to play armagetron advance on windows 7 without a problem. At least I hope so.
Linux is the future, do not fight it, go with it. If your computer is fast or slow Linux is the way to go.
ImageImageImage
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

Can't you emulate xp in 7?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

It can, but I'd guess it's only for the programs. That doesn't help if the graphics driver doesn't work properly.

But hey, maybe emulation is ON and that's what's causing the problems?
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

i have an nvidia too, my fps used to be 60 but when i found out how to change the priority i gained 300 more :)

go to system settings--->nvidia setup and change the priority from "performance" to "quality"

you should also take a look at this topic:
http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... 47&t=18595