Any Ideas For a racing Tournament?

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Should we try a racing tournament?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:25 pm

Yes
90%
No
No votes
Don't Know
10%

Total votes: 10

ender
Average Program

Re: Any Ideas For a racing Tournament?

Post by ender »

The tourney should be held on a single afternoon otherwise everything gets screwed up. Just ask some of the other tourney organizers on this forum :P. It wouldn't be a problem really, you would just need multiple servers, depending on how many people who sign up actually show up :? .
Cosmic Dolphin
Round Winner

Post by Cosmic Dolphin »

Thanks for the tip, don't want to end up being an all-nighter though.
By the way, that 2:00 was in eastern standard time.
" Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
-Plato
Ok, but why did I add this signature? I was like 15 and thought I was smart? What a brat.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

epsy wrote:Having brake as accelerator splits it from the rest of the gameplay.
You're right. Racing servers are "anti-tron" just like shooting severs. However, I justify their existence because of the scene in the movie where the players "race" away from their pursuers after escaping the game grid. Although, the only racing I really enjoy is my own, and the ky13+voodoo server. ;)

Still, a tournament would be nice. But I'm holding out until the ky13+voodoo server is perfected.
Cosmic Dolphin
Round Winner

Post by Cosmic Dolphin »

Well...
The racing community tends to be a place within it's own world under Armagetron. One reason for a racing tournament is because this racing is often left out... There are even more variations than just brake, as some of the old school racing servers had it to where you would slow down if you hit the walls, not speed up. It has developed from long mazes to streamlined high speed courses. Racing will continue to evolve, and I am glad about that.
" Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
-Plato
Ok, but why did I add this signature? I was like 15 and thought I was smart? What a brat.
ender
Average Program

Post by ender »

What sine said :mrgreen: . The cycles in the movie can definitely accelarate on thier own. Infact, they can brake and accelarate on their own.
Cosmic Dolphin
Round Winner

Post by Cosmic Dolphin »

Now that would be a cool addition for racing. Setting it up so that we can both speed up and slow down! That would take a whole lot of programming though...and new control set-up.
-Plato
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Post by owned »

But would anyone ever really slow down? It would cost you important time that you need to win.
Cosmic Dolphin
Round Winner

Post by Cosmic Dolphin »

Ok...true...make some turns that would take a sixteen bind or just slow down to get through :D

Ok, I have got enough maps I believe. If anybody wants to submit any maps for it, you could not race in it to make sure everyone starts on even ground.
-Plato
Cosmic Dolphin
Round Winner

Post by Cosmic Dolphin »

BTW, I have no idea where I could set up a tournament. I now believe it would be best for an all day event. When I get it figured out where and how to do this, I do not plan on actually participating. I created some maps myself, and that would just scream for accusations of cheating. I plan to this for all different types of racing: there will be high speed to Nano, 3, 4, 8,and 16 axis maps. Some are long mazes, others are complicated, and some would be near impossible to go through. (BTW, if say 7 out of 10 died on track, first four to die would be disqualified. If anyone camps to survive, they are disqualified and somebody that normally would go that was in the bottom four would stay in. Also, I am having some trouble getting that 3 axis map working. The 3 axis might be cut, plus they would be only one or two races with that anyway. There are few racing servers with a 3 axis map, and many do not like them.)
-Plato
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Cosmic Dolphin wrote:I created some maps myself, and that would just scream for accusations of cheating.
But, that's why I think we should wait until "Crazy Racing" is complete. All the maps and settings are randomized. It's a totally even playing field. And there is no reason you should miss out on the tournament, silly.
Cosmic Dolphin
Round Winner

Post by Cosmic Dolphin »

Good point, but does not some always need to step up to moderate?
-Plato
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

I forgot to mention drag racing is boring :)
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

epsy what about the one with limited boost, aka not infinite brakes? To me that seams to take the most skill knowing when to accelerate and when to let the brake refill.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

kyle wrote:epsy what about the one with limited boost, aka not infinite brakes? To me that seams to take the most skill knowing when to accelerate and when to let the brake refill.
That would make a lot of sense on a familiar track. Frustrating on a random one.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Man, I had no idea racing was that popular. I always thought it was considered a novelty game. Maybe I should bring my racing server back, heh. ;)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden