Any Ideas For a racing Tournament?

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Should we try a racing tournament?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:25 pm

Yes
90%
No
No votes
Don't Know
10%

Total votes: 10

Cosmic Dolphin
Round Winner

Any Ideas For a racing Tournament?

Post by Cosmic Dolphin »

As a racer, I feel left out of these giant tournaments and the like. Has there ever been one for racing? As racing is becoming more popular, we should try one here soon. But how don't know how to or when for such a thing...So, anybody got any ideas or wanna help?
" Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
-Plato
Ok, but why did I add this signature? I was like 15 and thought I was smart? What a brat.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: Any Ideas For a racing Tournament?

Post by sinewav »

Yes, racing is clearly a popular game mode. If there is to be a tournament, it should probably be organized and executed the same way as other tournaments. That is:
  • * Decide on the rules and conditions of the tournament.
    * Set a date and time.
    * Have a place to register (like the wiki perhaps). ;)
    * Promote the tournament.
    * Win!
I'm all for a racing tournament. However, I have a lot of concerns about racing as a game mode. My primary concern is that I don't think racing is perfected as a game mode yet. The most promising thing I've seen so far is kl13's racing server (currently in development).
Cosmic Dolphin
Round Winner

Post by Cosmic Dolphin »

It does have many glitches. A racer usually perfects his skills at only certain tracks and stays at certain servers. So, to gauge talent, it may just be rote memorization you are truly seeing. An extremely talented racer may do awful at the tournament because he may play at different tracks than are there. So, all racing servers would have to pull together. Which is an obvious problem... Also, fake records are appearing everywhere and certain servers are notorious for them. This actually messes up ladders, also... Some of the bugs have to be ironed out, but I think it can happen. :D
" Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
-Plato
Ok, but why did I add this signature? I was like 15 and thought I was smart? What a brat.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Ladders don't concern me at this point.

But it's true, there is yet to be any kind of standard for racing and, memorization plays too important of a role.

ky13's racing server generates maps randomly, which settles to problem of memorization. However, the physics are also somewhat random (at this time), and that is problematic. The biggest problem IMO is inconsistent map axes. I prefer 16, but many prefer 8, and even some like 4. But this new racing server is getting us closer to racing that is based on skill and reaction time, rather than routine. And I'm not 100% against racing on the same map twice, but many of the map designs out there don't allow enough room for error.

Another great thing about this "new racing" is the possibility of laps. It's something I've always dreamed of, but seems to be coming a reality. I really think we're on the verge of something great here, so let's try to get some input from the racing community and maybe we can have a monthly tournament.
Cosmic Dolphin
Round Winner

Post by Cosmic Dolphin »

Ok, I will try to contact some of the other racers. Animuson would probably help. His new server, Tronners, is a respectable racing server also.
-Plato
Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Concord »

to me it seems racing has always been against the map rather than against the other players.

this is not necessarily negative - racing is the best mode for small numbers of players, it is sooo easy to pick up and play
kyle
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

hopefully in the next few weeks we'll be finalizing that racing server, at least in that form. more tricks to come later on. All the settings right now can be configured inside of the script, so axes and all is not a problem changing for a tournament.

Crazy tronners race around the track is the server
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

What I don't like with racing is how accel is given by pressing a key instead of using the maps or teammates. Dumbs it down to who will press brake first, which is pretty much random.
Cosmic Dolphin
Round Winner

Post by Cosmic Dolphin »

Is not drag racing the same way: who jumps the gas first? It is racing, live with it.
-Plato
Cosmic Dolphin
Round Winner

Post by Cosmic Dolphin »

Ok.....
I haven't seen or been able to contact Animuson. And even though all of the racers I talk get excited at the idea, no body has stepped up to help me... I need help, because I don't know a thing about programming... :oops: I have an idea for a time, but no place. Anybody got any tips?
-Plato
Cosmic Dolphin
Round Winner

Post by Cosmic Dolphin »

Ok, I played at Crazy Tronners racing that allowed you to hit multiple winzones and go around several times. Only problem was I kept catching up to DZ that chases you from over-lapping it! Very fun and simple set up...Would like to have some of that in a racing tournament.

Can someone please give me of the basic coding needed for racing, like map rotation. I need to start learning that stuff if I want to start such a tournament and perhaps a racing server.
-Plato
DDMJ

Post by DDMJ »

kyle
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

Cosmic Dolphin wrote:Only problem was I kept catching up to DZ that chases you from over-lapping it!
Ya that in in the works for fixing. updating the zones speed every second with the average player speed.
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

Cosmic Dolphin wrote:Is not drag racing the same way: who jumps the gas first? It is racing, live with it.
Well, drag racing is also done in straight walls. There's no walls to accelerate on, etc. In tron your cycle is presumed always going forward, and you can only *slow it down* using brake or turn, while walls can accelerate you. Having brake as accelerator splits it from the rest of the gameplay.
Cosmic Dolphin
Round Winner

Post by Cosmic Dolphin »

Ok, I have been messing some with the map generators. I have used them before (thanks to ed's signature). Thanks for posting them DDMJ. Now, for problems with how to run the tournament. I am thinking 200 openings (doubt we would even get close, but...), anybody can get in as long as they register whenever I set that up. 10 people are in each race, and the bottom 4 are disqualified each time. It keeps going until we have a final round of ten racers or less, and a ten race match starts between those at that time. Whoever wins that match is crowned champ. If you get second in that match, you are second place for tournament and so on. More races would determine who gets what place beyond that. I'll post a new forum when the time comes and we are out of development. I would the tournament starting at Saturday afternoons, two o clock sharp. Continues on for as many Saturday afternoons as need be. Anybody got any better ideas, lets hear them!
-Plato