Armagetron Hall Of Fame

Got something that makes Armagetron look shiny? Post it here.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: Armagetron Hall Of Fame

Post by Z-Man »

I like Flash for what it's good at: cheap games in your browser. Videos are also fine (though there are perfectly fine non-flash solutions for internet video).

But installing a Windows plugin on my Linux machines just to be able to see some thing I don't care all that much about? Nope. Not going to happen.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

If you have never used linux word let me explain. I use linux and windows, and there are several windows programs that i use that require wine to run on linux. Wine does let those programs run on linux. However, if you really care about the performace and stability of your linux machine, you don't use wine or applications that require it. You use the linux alternatives. The developers on this project do some pretty heavy duty stuff with their computers while developing software that we use. For them to run wine based applications would be a trade-off that would be rather stupid.
What the developers are trying to tell you is this. If you want buy-in from them, and involvement from them with your project, then you should find a tool that does not require shockwave. There are other tools out there that you could use to develop your site that would not require users to install shockwave. Also, if you have never noticed, just loading shockwave, kills the performace of your browser. No dev worth their salt on this project is gonna run a plugin like that on their browser just to see your site. So, if you want the devs on this project, who will probably be some of the people in your hall of fame, to look at and respect your project, then you should listen to them and ask their advice on what tools to use. It is not just for practical reasons, but for philosophical ones that they believe as they do.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/index.html : works for linux, but it's new to me. I know that Blender has a game engine but I don't know yet how it works. Maybe I use wirefusion too ( http://www.demicron.com/wirefusion/ ). Any suggestions?

I searched for Opensource Linux 3d Walkthrough engine but didn't found a lot. These are the best ones. I don't know if it is possible to view them in your browser or if there exists a plugin.

I don't know much about linux, is there an equivalent to shockwave that you can open? or shall i upload it as blender file and maybe someone knows how to convert it?
Word

Post by Word »

ok here's a list of those players many ppl would like to encourage to be part the jury:

Levi
hoop
sine.wav
Paladin
Lacrymosa
epsy (although you aren't interested when it is not linux compatible ;) )
noob_Saibot
Misery
Zoidberg
someone from dbd and qrt
Biggy
Monkey (if he returns)
Angel
zion/cruz
(Ai, Hyp3 and I talked about this today, and we all agreed to put these players in the group if they sign up)

these are the players the jury has got so far:

Concord
Hyp3
Monkey.D.Luffy
Durka
compguygene
safariskater
meh
CuRbSidE
-=}ID< Loopedd
Vesper
DreadLord
Pike
Radian

Ofc all others are welcome to join.
Last edited by Word on Fri May 08, 2009 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lacrymosa
Round Winner

Post by Lacrymosa »

I'd like to "see" the Hall of Fame first before I'd think about joining. And it seems somewhat uncomplete if it does not run under linux.
ender
Average Program

Post by ender »

Why is this in the graphical section?
Word

Post by Word »

when i was thinking about the project it was only something graphical but now it is getting official :)
radian
Core Dumper

Post by radian »

i dont mind sites with no bells and whistles,,they usually load quicker,
some simple small pics would do the trick (trophy,s and,, other ,well done, accolades)
maybe even a donate button,so the lucky winner gets a small purse
good pipes arnt cheap----gl

6--15--18--11
i just love it
Word

Post by Word »

if you post a link to your paypal account i can do this ;)
Word

Post by Word »

After a lot of announcements, the subforum exists:

http://trongame.de/viewforum.php?f=33

we have also started a test-version (pretty empty at the moment, but you get an impression of it. I uploaded it 3 weeks ago that's why it doesn't look very good now. But we will update it soon.), you can watch it at http://www.trongame.de/hof , for macs: http://www.trongame.de/hofmac .

And we will upgrade to a newer version of the program soon because the one we have now needs more loading time and links work only if you right-click first. In the new version this and many other things work better (fullscreen, physics...).

Now feel free to suggest players and vote. You can only have access to the Jury-Forum after you have PMed me (except if you're already a Jury member ;) ). Find categories and good reasons.
Lacrymosa
Round Winner

Post by Lacrymosa »

I just tried to have a look at the test version, it asked me to install Shockwave first. Ok, I thought, let's give it a chance, so I installed it. After that, I tried to look at the page again. It loaded quite long, and then it asked me again to install some other stuff. That was the point when I thought "No, I do not want to install all these things just to look at some sort of gallery".

Honestly, some sort of image gallery with a trophy, the players name and some comments would be enought, wouldn't it?
I myself am not willing to install this and that on my PC just to see one single website.
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

Lacrymosa wrote:I just tried to have a look at the test version, it asked me to install Shockwave first. Ok, I thought, let's give it a chance, so I installed it. After that, I tried to look at the page again. It loaded quite long, and then it asked me again to install some other stuff. That was the point when I thought "No, I do not want to install all these things just to look at some sort of gallery".

Honestly, some sort of image gallery with a trophy, the players name and some comments would be enought, wouldn't it?
I myself am not willing to install this and that on my PC just to see one single website.
same (I'm on mac)
Paladin
Average Program

Post by Paladin »

I find it strange that my name is on that list. If you want Angel, you'd should probably let her know via armagetron.co.uk as I doubt she really checks this forum. (If you did mean that Angel) If you want me, you can have me.

Anyways, I took a look at it earlier today on public wifi. I'm not a big fan of the program itself, might change with more use, and the 'knoll' graphics seemed extremely bright. Is they any other program that requires less installation but similar production? Judging by the majority of responses, your best bet would be to downgrade for less installation.

Possibly remove the 'Administration Approval' part of the registration process as well from your forums?

Sine: Do you have a link for that Flash blocker? I would find it extremely useful for the most part right now.
Word

Post by Word »

Paladin wrote:If you want Angel, you'd should probably let her know via armagetron.co.uk as I doubt she really checks this forum. (If you did mean that Angel) If you want me, you can have me.
I posted this on armagetron.co.uk weeks ago but angel didn't see it yet i think, I ask her when I see her in cheers ;)
Lacrymosa wrote: Honestly, some sort of image gallery with a trophy, the players name and some comments would be enought, wouldn't it?
We are also working on this.
Paladin wrote:Is they any other program that requires less installation but similar production?
Not yet. And my computer had every plugin installed already when I buyed it.
Paladin wrote:Judging by the majority of responses, your best bet would be to downgrade for less installation.
I will make different versions. This one and a downloadable one, i hope that's ok.
Paladin wrote:Possibly remove the 'Administration Approval' part of the registration process as well from your forums?

Yes, i talked to our admin about that. He will do it soon i think.
Last edited by Word on Sun May 10, 2009 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Paladin wrote:Sine: Do you have a link for that Flash blocker? I would find it extremely useful for the most part right now.
It's just a Firefox plugin. http://flashblock.mozdev.org/ I've never seen it for another browser, but I've never looked either. :)