0.2.8.3_beta2 available!

Help test release candidates for the next release
-=VcL.Rajinn
Round Winner

Post by -=VcL.Rajinn »

z-man, can you plz fix the lag-o-meter? they get huge sometimes for no reason at all, and a lot of ppl experience this problem. my ping is always below 100 and everyones lag meter including mine, gets so big it almost fills up the whole grid.
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

-=VcL.Rogue wrote:z-man, can you plz fix the lag-o-meter? they get huge sometimes for no reason at all, and a lot of ppl experience this problem. my ping is always below 100 and everyones lag meter including mine, gets so big it almost fills up the whole grid.
It's called lag.

If you don't like the lag-o-meter or know how to correctly use it/why it's valuable, then I suggest turning it off:

Code: Select all

LAG_O_METER 0
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

-=VcL.Rogue wrote:z-man, can you plz fix the lag-o-meter? they get huge sometimes for no reason at all, and a lot of ppl experience this problem. my ping is always below 100 and everyones lag meter including mine, gets so big it almost fills up the whole grid.

Already done, but it's a serverside fix
, so you'll need to bug your server admin to install a version brought up to date with the 0.2.8 bzr branch.
Sithy
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Sithy »

Don't know if this is the appropriate place for this, if so please correct me.

I just dled 2.8.3 (from the above link on SF) and weeeheeey ==>

1/ Huge FPS improvement on my MacBook! I used to get about 30-40fps average going down to 10-15 on crowded servers/complex maps (using 0.3 and standard moviepack), NOW i'm at around 150fps constant. \o/

2/ The game regularly "locks up" : i get huge 2-3sec slowdowns, often at the start of a round

3/ is there any way to get the 3.0 cockpit and/or minimap in 2.8.3

4/ (ideally) Anyone know what my FPS problem is with 0.3.0 and if it's locally fixable?
-=VcL.Rajinn
Round Winner

Post by -=VcL.Rajinn »

Z-Man wrote:

Already done, but it's a serverside fix
, so you'll need to bug your server admin to install a version brought up to date with the 0.2.8 bzr branch.
Oh, so this is not included in the .2.8.3beta's? Currently I am using .2.8.3_beta2
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

No, but it's in bzr. But it's serverside, so your client version does not matter (unless it is 0.2.8.2.1 or earlier, which ignores the lag reports from the server).
Sithy wrote:2/ The game regularly "locks up" : i get huge 2-3sec slowdowns, often at the start of a round
Never seen them. Can you send a debug recording?
Sithy wrote:3/ is there any way to get the 3.0 cockpit and/or minimap in 2.8.3
As said on the last page and a felt million times before: no.
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

Z-Man wrote:No, but it's in bzr. But it's serverside, so your client version does not matter (unless it is 0.2.8.2.1 or earlier, which ignores the lag reports from the server).
serverdetails wrote:Armagetron Classic »High Rubber« (67.222.147.18:4535) running 0.2.8.3_beta2 unix dedicated, url: http://VcL-clan.com, Description: “Great settings for High Rubber Dogfight and basic High Rubber game play.“, Players (0/8):
I think that's what he meant when he said:
-=VcL.Rogue wrote:Oh, so this is not included in the .2.8.3beta's? Currently I am using .2.8.3_beta2
Sithy
On Lightcycle Grid

Re:

Post by Sithy »

Z-Man wrote:No, but it's in bzr. But it's serverside, so your client version does not matter (unless it is 0.2.8.2.1 or earlier, which ignores the lag reports from the server).
Sithy wrote:2/ The game regularly "locks up" : i get huge 2-3sec slowdowns, often at the start of a round
Never seen them. Can you send a debug recording?
I fixed this by deleting settings in

Code: Select all

~/Library/Application Support/Armagetron Advanced/var
I must have messed up something or had legacy settings that screwed things up...

I still have a copy of said settings if you're interested.

Cheers
Sithy
On Lightcycle Grid

Re: 0.2.8.3_beta2 available!

Post by Sithy »

Slowdowns here and there from the start, getting worse towards the end (it usually takes a few minutes for slowdowns to be really harsh - "lockups")
Debug recording: http://sithy.free.fr/arma/armagetronad- ... 090421.log (8.2Mb)
Settings: http://sithy.free.fr/arma/armagetronad- ... 21.tar.bz2 (32kb)

Running fine with default settings
Debug recording: http://sithy.free.fr/arma/armagetronad- ... 090421.log (7.8Mb)
Settings: http://sithy.free.fr/arma/armagetronad- ... 21.tar.bz2 (12kb)

*I noticed slight slowdowns both runs around T=580, probably due to the debug log getting a little large

edit: you can't see the slowdowns when playing back the recording with decent settings. I guess that confirms that it does indeed have something to do with the settings
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: 0.2.8.3_beta2 available!

Post by Z-Man »

Thanks for the data. Most probably, SWAP_MODE is the setting causing the slowdowns. It's on 'Fastest' in the bad config and the safe 'Finish' setting in the good default config. The 'Fastest' setting can cause output lag, frames piling up in the GPU output buffer, and the recording looks like that's the case. The menu doc does warn about that :)