LADLE new rule about aliases

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

hoop
Round Winner

Re: LADLE new rule about aliases

Post by hoop »

sinewav wrote:Ok, so maybe aliases provide an advantage. Personally, I'm not convinced though.
mmm okay, to be or not to be... this is not the question.

Again, this topic is about approving or not a new rule:
- during ladle matches, every player must use the name written on the challenge board -
just it!

we can of course allow easy exceptions, as somebody have too long names which can't fit with the tag (see lackadaisical) etc...

and possibily a second rule:
- teams' names and tags must be different from each other enough to avoid any kind of misunderstanding -

"+Plus" and "pluS+" are confusing, don't you think so?
instead "WW-Alpha" and "WW-Bravo" are acceptable IMO

just discuss about that
If nobody has nothing against my suggestion, I'll just add the rules on the wiki

otherwise I'll start a poll if needed
Round Winner

Post by 1200 »

Hoop wrote:- during ladle matches, every player must use the name written on the challenge board -
That still allow people to write down aliases on the challenge board and use those names which isn't that much different. If we want to stop people using aliases we should necessitate authenticity.

and possibily a second rule:
- teams' names and tags must be different from each other enough to avoid any kind of misunderstanding -

"+Plus" and "pluS+" are confusing, don't you think so?
Yea i agree they should be different. And although it wasn't implemented today +Plus & pluS+ are different enuff to pass this rule. (ie one team will wears the tag in front & the other in their rear.)
þsy
Match Winner

Post by þsy »

I think because there was two plus teams, all with aliases, it definitely questioned the validity of the matches they played. I'm not suggesting that the teams weren't correct or anything like that (I know for sure that both Viper and Radian were on the pluS+ team we faced, just as they were supposed to be) but with two teams with the same name and tag (pluS+ played with a + in front of their name, not the rear as some are suggesting) AND with aliases, its only going to cause confusion which isn't very fair.

And I don't think it benefited pluS+ either, who were at one point in a match losing against four arrows :mrgreen:

It's a real shame, because I've gotten into a few online games in my past, and all have hacks and cheats circulating. This means that in a clan war, if one team is destroying the other, the loser all claim hacks then leave. Armagetron is the only game which doesn't have any obvious cheats, yet the match I played yesterday reminded me of some of the clan wars I've played in other games :x

So I think from now on, players should only enter teams with different names and different tags. For example, if CT wanted to enter two teams, they'd have CT (Crazy Tronners) and KKK (Kyle Klux Klan) or something along those lines.

On top of that, players should play with the names they register with on the challenge board whilst keeping they're true identity revealed at all times. SO their fake name and normal name, for example: # pluS+ JOHN (1200), JAMES (Alien), JOEL (teen), JIM (preSsure), JOE (viper), JAKE (Radian)

This would destroy the element of confusion that fake names causes, whilst keeping the silly and good fun side of having aliases. It would also mean that the teams are legitimate, so if anyone complains they can just refer back to the board.

As for proving that players aren't pretending to be other players through authentication and all that stuff, I really don't see a solution. Perhaps players could register the IPs of the computers their going to be playing on - then if they match then we know who it is and that there is no shuffling going on? It seems like a lot of effort, but can we rely on the players entering the tournament to be honest? I'm not sure!

I think this seems fair enough?
hoop
Round Winner

Post by hoop »

1200 wrote:That still allow people to write down aliases on the challenge board and use those names which isn't that much different. If we want to stop people using aliases we should necessitate authenticity.
Personally I don't want to stop people using aliases.
why should we stop that?
Simply, if the playing-name is equal to the signup-name, that's enough
1200 wrote: Yea i agree they should be different. And although it wasn't implemented today +Plus & pluS+ are different enuff to pass this rule. (ie one team will wears the tag in front & the other in their rear.)
no, IMO it's not enough to pass the rule, it is confusing
what counts to remember a name is the idea it refers to
who I had to play against, was it +plus or plus+ ?
really I don't remember yet, even if I wrote that many times on this thread
I'd have to read the challenge board again to be sure
sol
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by sol »

don't try to set up too much bureaucracy.... players won't care either way...
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

sol wrote:don't try to set up too much bureaucracy.... players won't care either way...

well, like Z-man, I and others mentioned earlier it is their own problem. If they don't care they can't take part. And I don't think this is bureaucracy. To be honest I think it is self-evident that players that belong to different teams wear different tags. If they don't follow the "unwritten" rules, they can't take part and the problem is solved. What we are discussing here is I think if this rule has to be written down to make it official. In general I agree with everything hoop says but these things change all the time, players come and players go; it is a question of random (at least for us) who can play in the end and what players of those are signed up as well. I am ok with WwA and WwB.

I don't have a problem with aliases although they seem to become a new strategy for some teams, but I don't really care if it is for example madmax or Jennifer I am playing against. I am maybe prepared in another way when I know it is madmax I have to face but that's the player's point of view. For example while we were practising in our server some plus-members I didn't recognize then came and called our team noobs and called me an idiot (you can see that in the record btw) and I just wanted to know who I am talking to. This was quite distracting since I had to manage our team (lol I know only 3 players) and the forum and the console commands. I tried to join the IRC channel but it didn't work. They should have a bit more tolerance if someone is occupied with these things and calm down.
Later I was told that the guys who were getting on my nerves were Minesweeper and presSure. If it had been a day without ladle and in a pru server, I would have silenced, suspended and kicked them. The ladle should be a friendly event that causes pleasure and enjoyment, not a forum for some players who have nothing better to do than to behave like kindergarten children.

However, I think the ladle needs some general rules of behaviour instead. I don't say it solves hoop's problem. But if a team causes trouble not only by wearing tags that may disturb people but also start arguing about "how we pwn this nubs". That's why I would really like them to be disqualified/excluded because of rude behaviour. I don't complain about the fight itself , a 3vs6 which we lost like most people here have expected. At least they didn't talk while they played.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Word wrote:That's why I would really like them to be disqualified/excluded because of rude behaviour.
No.

I'm cool with making a rule that says players must use signup name.
And I think a team with enough members should be able to enter two squads without completely renaming them (+Plus and pluS+ are fine for the challenge board). However, I see how the similar team tag was very confusing in this Ladle and I agree they should look "significantly" different. Again, this was a problem Plus was not able to resolve internally (sorry), but we will make extra effort to do so in the future. I guess our tags could have been +P and S+ or something like that. Whatever. We'll figure something out.

I think these are well worded. Anyone opposed to adding it to the wiki?
• during ladle matches, every player must use the name written on the challenge board
• teams' names and tags must be different from each other enough to avoid any kind of misunderstanding
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

sinewav wrote:
Word wrote:That's why I would really like them to be disqualified/excluded because of rude behaviour.
No.
sorry I wrote it in a wrong way. I mean there should be a rule that they can be disqualified in the next ladle if they do it again (and the same for every other team). If it isn't the whole team that is annoying, players should be warned and get kicked if they don't behave afterwards (like soccer rules - a kind of Penalty card-system).

Edit: Oh...I got an idea..... :idea:

why not some independent arbitrators like in soccer matches? We didn't have that in every match but maybe it is useful
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

1200 wrote:Yea i agree they should be different. And although it wasn't implemented today +Plus & pluS+ are different enuff to pass this rule.
How are "plusplus" and "plusplus" different enough?
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

Just play with the name you signed up with. That's what TuI always did and there were no complaints; everything went smoothly:

Crack, Shrooms, Lacrymosa, X, ketamine, GHß, SmAcK, f, purple kush, os, djt
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Word wrote:sorry I wrote it in a wrong way. I mean there should be a rule that they can be disqualified in the next ladle if they do it again.
No. Unless you can prove the abuse was "extensive", I don't think you have a case.
epsy wrote:How are "plusplus" and "plusplus" different enough?
Yes those are the same, but that's not what I wrote. Here, maybe this will help you:

Code: Select all

+Plus != pluS+
No one thought this was confusing for the month before the brackets were picked, so I really don't see how this is an issue. Just pay attention.
Round Winner

Post by 1200 »

Epsy wrote:How are "plusplus" and "plusplus" different enough?
If one team is wearing the "+" tag infront (+Concord, +2020 ...) and the other on their rear (1200+, Radian+ ...) thats different enuff for people to recognize. I don't think anybody is going to say that its hard to tell if its in the front or the rear of a name.
Word wrote:Later I was told that the guys who were getting on my nerves were Minesweeper and presSure.
PreSsure did not compete in yesterday's Ladle just for your info.
Although i don't justify some of my team mates behaviour yesterday, trash talk is part of the game in most sports. Just as we need to tone down our behaviour you guys need to toughen up your skin and don't let these fools' stupid comments agitate you. If the community really feels that it needs to be stopped then there needs to be rules and an admin thats not affiliated with either team to be present in each match to make decision like suspending & kicking players.
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

sinewav wrote:
epsy wrote:How are "plusplus" and "plusplus" different enough?
Yes those are the same, but that's not what I wrote. Here, maybe this will help you:

Code: Select all

+Plus != pluS+
No one thought this was confusing for the month before the brackets were picked, so I really don't see how this is an issue. Just pay attention.
Everyone does sure pronounce them "Plusplussign" and "Plussignplus".
freako
Core Dumper

Post by freako »

PreSsure did not compete in yesterday's Ladle just for your info.

Waaaait! U admit cheating here? (maybe not the correct word, but still...)

The team we had to play only has 6 people on there challenge board? :?

pluS+ ( 1. 1200, 2.Alien, 3. teen, 4.preSsure, 5.viper, 6.Radian)

And Pressure didn't play? So who was ur 6th player in our match?!!
Crazy Tron Addict since : October 2002 <--- Beat that :)
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

epsy wrote:Everyone does sure pronounce them "Plusplussign" and "Plussignplus".
Unless you say "add Plus" and "Plus add". There is more than one word associated with "+". Even still, if you can't tell the difference saying it aloud, then you have much bigger problems than worrying about these inconsequential Ladle rules. Also, you're not having a web page read to you. And if you are, then I'm not quite sure why your voice software is pronouncing it that way. Maybe you can change it so you don't get confused anymore.

But really, I'm wasting my time arguing about this because I simply don't care enough. This is such an embarrassingly small thing to worry about.

And for the record: I only agreed to using aliases because it was a team decision. And, I originally suggested the teams be named "plus" and "minus" (you can't get more different than that!), but I lost that argument to the team.

So, if any of the rules suggested here are implemented, that's fine by me. Whoever feels like taking the initiative to edit the wiki, go ahead and let's move on.

EDIT:
freako wrote:Waaaait! U admit cheating here?
Hardly. That works in your favor, trust me. If preSs did play you guys would have been lucky to score more the 30 points a match. preSs had to leave town suddenly and we subbed someone in at the last minute. If you want, we can set up a rematch when he gets back. Want to try your luck? :wink: