New site theme

What do you want to see here? Some more categories, forums, and mods? Hmm...
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Luke-Jr wrote:
Lucifer wrote:Hmmm, I have very strong objections to light on dark, actually. For many of us whose vision isn't what it once was, light text on a dark background is nearly impossible to read. It can also cause seizures in rare individuals, heh. It makes me dizzy, anyway.
If so, best they get a minor seizure from the static webpage, rather than a major one from fast motion light-on-dark from the game itself..
Heh. I dont' get dizzy playing the game, but I get dizzy reading white on dark webpages. Go figure.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

Heh, no grudge at all joda, a redesign has been overdue for some time now and well.. I can't say I feel very connected with the current design.

Anyway, looking at it again I agree the contrast might be a tad too much, so I attached a version where I turned it down a bit (nothing too refined, for example the header part was toned down as well, which might not be the best idea). Also tried creating a lighter version, but it got kinda fruity. A long time ago I saw someone using those pastel kind of colors which I loved and since then I've been unable to produce anything else. Maybe this will get it out of my system.

edit: ughhh anyone else got the bug(?) in photoshop where everything arial keeps getting switched to arial caps everytime you open the document? the light version should not have A MODEST PROPOSAL in all caps
Attachments
toned down version
toned down version
fruity shmooty
fruity shmooty
Infa(mous)
Round Winner

Post by Infa(mous) »

Those both look really good to me, Lack. (The black one is much better than before, as well)
-Infamous
Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Concord »

oh no!

now if both are available I'll have make a very tough decision on my own!

both look great, I guess the solution to my problem is the flipping of a coin, or I could alternate days.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Heh, this makes me wonder again just how things look to someone who has problems with certain color schemes. I understand it's troublesome, but just how does it look? I know I won't get an answer because nobody can really tell, but argh. All I can truly get is that too much brightness (background has large area) can flood my eyes, if the monitor is too bright compared to the environment. Excellent vision is a curse. :)
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

I like the light one better, but I think we still need to clutter it up more with some of the other links. I'll feel a lot better about it once I've tried to use it I think.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I like both of these a lot. :) You managed to do something nobody else has ever done: make a light on dark web page that I like. ;)

I'm with Tank, though, I like the fruity version much more than the non-fruity version. I'd suggest putting a shiny png to make the fruity buttons look shinier, and I do have a preference for noisy/non-flat base backgrounds (i.e. attached to the body element, and then divs provide either flat colored backgrounds or pngs with a slight alpha to let the noisy background bleed through a tad).

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
joda.bot
Match Winner

Post by joda.bot »

@lack: great. I like the darker one better, except that I'd the colors with more saturation (I think) ... Can you try to give them 100% sat and if you want/like pastel colors you have to increase the lightness too (I think).
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

Thanks for the feedback guys, I think I'm going to step back a bit for a week or so, see if I still like it then and check if anyone got some more suggestions. I kinda hope Kamp could tell what he thinks about it.

Also maybe this topic should be split? I feel like step 1 is starting to overshadow the other steps that were mentioned by Kamp. Maybe call it something like "Redesign (a modest proposal: step 1)"

edit:

@joda: Yeah I tried to up the saturation, but it affected the purple color a lot more than the others, so it just looked unbalanced. I will look into it though.

@lucifer: Not a big fan of the shiny stuff, but i'll try to see how it looks with some background. Might become a bit too busy though, although something subtle on the sides could work.
Concord

Post by Concord »

I fooled around today a little bit with a phpbb3 template

what I've got is probably a complete mess in terms of code, but it looks pretty close to what lacka had.

I cropped the images from his mock up, :P

attached are the templates and css

I don't know if the work is worth anything, it may be easier to start from scratch than try to fix my code and such (I modded the prosilver)
anyway it was fun to see my test forum slowly take the shape of lacka's image

my css is for the light version, btw
Attachments
lacktanckon-2.tar
this is the theme
(856 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
Last edited by Concord on Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

looks very nice :)
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

I think it looks better filled out with all the little bits and bobs of phpBB.
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

I've setup a group on launchpad to deal with site theming. I've also imported the current phpBB2 theme, the work I've done on porting it to phpBB3, the wiki theme, the original HTML for the mainsite, and the other thing I just did in HTML.

Now if anyone wants to contribute, they can register on launchpad, join the team, be accepted and then away we go! I hope this works as well as it seemed like it would in my head.
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

I just noticed conc's colors are a bit darker than mine.. are you using a mac concord? I heard they adjust the png's depending on some png header info. Anyway I kinda like it.

I'm in the process of making sort of a template of which to work from when skinning the forums/wiki/mainsite/etc so everything looks and behaves consistent across the whole system. So far it looks kinda dull, but it's a pretty bare page so maybe it's a bit better on a real page. Otherwise I might think of spicing up the header a bit.
Concord

Post by Concord »

I am on a mac, good call

the images are lacktankcon/theme/images (on lp @ http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Earmagetr ... e//images/)

Code: Select all

bg_forums   the red sliver that allows for a dynamic width with regards to the header
button_topic_new   new topic
button_topic_reply   reply
site_logo    bike and armagetronad logo
icon_home   "FORUMS"
icon_wiki   "WIKI"
icon_main   "MAIN SITE"