How can I stop armagetrons smart camera tilting downwards...

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
rumpole
On Lightcycle Grid

How can I stop armagetrons smart camera tilting downwards...

Post by rumpole »

How can I stop armagetrons smart camera tilting downwards when I turn or 180, Ive tried everything I can think of and I just cant get it to stop

Heres my complete include camera.cfg

camera_custom_back 6 # position of the custom camera: how much is it moved back from the cycle
camera_custom_back_fromspeed 0.5 # this value is multiplied with the current speed and added to camera_custom_back.
camera_custom_pitch -0.58 # position of the custom camera: how much does it look up/down
camera_custom_rise 4 # position of the custom camera: how much is it moved up from the cycle
camera_custom_rise_fromspeed 0.4 # this value is multiplied with the current speed and added to camera_custom_rise.
camera_custom_turn_speed 4 # speed the custom camera turns with
camera_custom_turn_speed_180 4 # extra factor to camera_custom_turn_speed after a quick reverse
camera_custom_zoom 0 # position of the custom camera: how much the camera zooms in your cycle at the beginning of the round (to show the team's formation)
camera_follow_start_x -30 # start position of the fixed external camera
camera_follow_start_y -30 # start position of the fixed external camera
camera_follow_start_z 80 # start position of the fixed external camera
camera_forbid_custom 0 # forbids the use of the custom camera on all clients
camera_forbid_follow 0 # forbids the use of the fixed external camera on all clients
camera_forbid_free 0 # forbids the use of the free camera on all clients
camera_forbid_in 0 # forbids the use of the internal camera on all clients
camera_forbid_server_custom 0 # forbid the use of the server custom camera
camera_forbid_smart 0 # forbids the use of the internal camera on all clients
camera_free_start_x 10 # start position of the free camera
camera_free_start_y -70 # start position of the free camera
camera_free_start_z 100 # start position of the free camera
camera_in_turn_speed 40 # speed the internal camera turns with
camera_server_custom_back 30 # position of the custom camera: how much is it moved back from the cycle
camera_server_custom_back_fromspeed 0 # this value is multiplied with the current speed and added to camera_server_custom_back
camera_server_custom_pitch -0.7 # position of the custom camera: how much does it look up/down
camera_server_custom_rise 4 # position of the custom camera: how much is it moved up from the cycle
camera_server_custom_rise_fromspeed 0.4 # this value is multiplied with the current speed and added to camera_server_custom_rise
camera_server_custom_turn_speed 4 # speed the server custom camera turns with. turn values are taken from the clientside settings if this is negative
camera_server_custom_turn_speed_180 4 # extra factor to camera_server_custom_turn_speed after a quick reverse
camera_smart_avoid_front 10 # (undocumented)
camera_smart_avoid_front2 0.1 # (undocumented)
camera_smart_center_dir_smooth 3 # (undocumented)
camera_smart_center_lookahead 0.5 # (undocumented)
camera_smart_center_max_lookahead 5 # (undocumented)
camera_smart_center_pos_smooth 6 # (undocumented)
camera_smart_cyclespeed 20 # (undocumented)
camera_smart_distance 4 # (undocumented)
camera_smart_distancescale 0.2 # (undocumented)
camera_smart_height 2 # (undocumented)
camera_smart_height_extra 0.5 # (undocumented)
camera_smart_height_grinding 0 # (undocumented)
camera_smart_height_obstacle 1 # (undocumented)
camera_smart_height_turning 0.5 # (undocumented)
camera_smart_min_distance 10 # (undocumented)
camera_smart_min_distancescale 5 # (undocumented)
camera_smart_start_x 10 # start position of the smart camera
camera_smart_start_y 30 # start position of the smart camera
camera_smart_start_z 2 # start position of the smart camera
camera_smart_turn_grinding 5 # (undocumented)
camera_visibility_clip_speed 40 # speed with which the visibility targets is brought into view
camera_visibility_extension 1 # distance (measured in seconds, gets multiplied by speed) of the visibility targets from the watched object
camera_visibility_lower_wall 1 # if set to 1, walls are lowerd when they block the view and the camera is not moved
camera_visibility_lower_wall_smart 0 # like camera_visibility_lower_wall, but special setting for the smart camera
camera_visibility_recovery_speed 1 # the speed the external visibility targets recovers from wall hits
camera_visibility_sideskew 0.5 # extra forward component of the sideways visibility targets
camera_visibility_wall_distance 0.5 # the distance the visibility targets keep from walls
bug_transparency 0 # unsupported: make all rim walls semi-transparent by rendering them without occlusion tests
bug_transparency_demand 0 # unsupported: use transparency instead of lowering walls
Writing code is easy. Finishing is hard.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

You can't stop it, that's what it does. But by increasing camera_smart_min_distance or camera_smart_height, you can avoid losing too much overview when it does it.
But note that those settings are undocumented for a reason: the smart camera is a fragile beast and fiddling with them easily breaks stuff.
rumpole
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by rumpole »

Z-Man wrote:You can't stop it, that's what it does. But by increasing camera_smart_min_distance or camera_smart_height, you can avoid losing too much overview when it does it.
But note that those settings are undocumented for a reason: the smart camera is a fragile beast and fiddling with them easily breaks stuff.
That kind of explains why I cant stop it, could you possibly add camera_smart_tilt variable and pop it in where you currently have the tilting hard coded ?

Or just point me in the right direction and i'll take a look at the code myself

Thanks.
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

You're looking for eCamera.cpp. Good luck.
There's no place like ::1
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

wrtlprnft wrote:Good luck.
^^ You'll need it. It's not like you just have to deactivate the tilting code. You have to make the camera move in such a way that you can see your cycle anyway.
rumpole
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by rumpole »

Yeah I think im starting to realise whats going on, bike moves under the camera which keeps its focas on the bike so it has to look down to keep the bike in view

I will have to make the camera rotate around the bike but first I will try what you suggested with the min distance etc

Thanks
Paladin
Average Program

Post by Paladin »

I haven't tested it out with your camera settings, but the easiest way to deal with this on the default smart camera, without fiddling with code that is, is to simply backwards glance a second prior to performing the 180/double bind. It actually took me a few minutes to realize what camera event you were talking about simply because I no longer view it on my screen. My solution is in no way a perfect solution, if one exists, or as clean cut as a code change, but that doesn't change it's effectiveness.
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

If you want a camera that doesn't tilt, why don't you get a custom camera (or the mercam in 0.3.x)?
There's no place like ::1
rumpole
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by rumpole »

The custom cam is good but im not happy with the way it directly snaps to the new view, the smart cam had smoothing which i did like

I might add some damping to the custom cam and see how that looks

I have problems with 0.3x but i'll give it a try
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

I highly recommend the .3 series Mercam...

The mercam has 2 variables that you can use to customize its view, which i use routinely.

CAMERA_MER_XYDIST default is 20 I typically use 35
This setting is the how far behind the cycle the camera is

CAMEREA_MER_Z default is 16 I generally stick with that
This setting is how high up the camera is...perhaps the "tilt" your looking for
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
rumpole
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by rumpole »

what im actually looking for is a smart cam that rotates around the bike but not getting too close so that it has to look downwards which is a problem because i cannot see what is going on and always get killed

I will try the latest 0.3 build also I had a lot of B.S.O.D. problems with the other 0.3 builds
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

If I recall correctly, the custom cam has a setting called something like camera_speed_turn_180 which determines how quickly the camera wheels around when you turn. If I correctly recall further, I think a value of 4-7 was closest to smartcam speed. I had my custom cam set up so I got quasi-smartcam views and behaviour, using it for custom glancing.

No need to code a bunch of new shit. Unless someone inexplicably removed that setting at some point.
rumpole
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by rumpole »

Good idea, i'll disable the smart cam and mess about with custom cam settings. Thanks.
Tobe
Round Winner

Post by Tobe »

The best camera for that is an 85+ FOV Fixed Camera. The camera doesnt titl and you get a very good view of the area. I use 95 FOV
rumpole
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by rumpole »

Tobe wrote:The best camera for that is an 85+ FOV Fixed Camera. The camera doesnt titl and you get a very good view of the area. I use 95 FOV
I have my fov set to 105 and didnt think it effected the tilt, thanks for the tip