New site theme

What do you want to see here? Some more categories, forums, and mods? Hmm...
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Infa(mous)
Round Winner

Post by Infa(mous) »

Ya. I'm liking that design, Tank and Lack.
-Infamous
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

The reason the game uses bright text is that it appears in front of varied and moving background. For reading longer texts on modern monitors, black on bright is definitely better.
rumpole
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by rumpole »

very nice
Writing code is easy. Finishing is hard.
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

tables and div's everywhere >.>
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

nice modern look, yet pays homage to the retro nature of "tron"

GZ guys
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Hmmm, I have very strong objections to light on dark, actually. For many of us whose vision isn't what it once was, light text on a dark background is nearly impossible to read. It can also cause seizures in rare individuals, heh. It makes me dizzy, anyway.

In the field of web accessibility, black text on a light background is the consensus.

So, if we end up with a theme that's light text on a dark background, can we have an option in our own profiles to change the theme that's used?

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
rumpole
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by rumpole »

I have to agree with lucifers point about difficulty reading the light text on dark background but thats not a problem if you make two css files, one dark and one light and a little icon to switch between them

I didnt look at the source code but I am going to now, I want to see that mess of tables and divs XD
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

Well like I said some people seem to have problems the other way around, I don't have any hard proof that this is actually true, but there's at least two comments on this page (here comment 2 & 5) by people who say that their opticians say they should stop reading dark text on a white background.

Anyway having two versions seems like a good idea.
joda.bot
Match Winner

Post by joda.bot »

@lack: nice work! I hope you do not grudge my criticism. I'm surprised by all the work done (in a day?) :-).

hehe, I really like the simplicity of the post layout :D (easy to understand) - absolutely no clutter.

As for colours, why not use a dark gray or light gray background ? This should make it easier for people senitive to extremes.

Perhaps these color combinations provide some inspiration:
http://www.presentationload.com/oxid.ph ... -Exchange/

@tank: do/can we maintain the templates for the wiki, forums and main page on launchpad or sf ?
epsy

Post by epsy »

Best would be to blink between white and dark themes each second, that would make everybody happy.

Oh wait, damn epileptics.
rumpole
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by rumpole »

epsy wrote:Best would be to blink between white and dark themes each second, that would make everybody happy.

Oh wait, damn epileptics.
rofl

It really is a simple but great looking design, i love it
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

Black text on a light background gets my vote.
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

Lucifer wrote:Hmmm, I have very strong objections to light on dark, actually. For many of us whose vision isn't what it once was, light text on a dark background is nearly impossible to read. It can also cause seizures in rare individuals, heh. It makes me dizzy, anyway.
If so, best they get a minor seizure from the static webpage, rather than a major one from fast motion light-on-dark from the game itself..
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I should probably point out that I also really dislike white backgrounds. :) If you look at every site I've developed around here, you may have noticed that I always use a darker white. I don't like #ffffff, I usually use at most #fefefe. Also, #fefefe with a black border is really simple, but looks surprisingly nice. Make the border inset and it really looks nice.

Of course, I've recently gone to using a white png with about 80% opaqueness, and putting a darker background behind it. ;) You can get that to work in older versions of ie by changing the bitrate of the png, but I don't remember right off hand how to do that. It's supposed to work in IE7.

Unlike the guy on that site you linked, lack, I do prefer a darker border, but that's just me. I've had really dark borders on my site that I hated, but I've got a pretty dark border right now that I love. (Rain is awesome)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden