Possible vista/fps problems

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
nara
Core Dumper

Possible vista/fps problems

Post by nara »

RESOLVED:
Fps problem seemed to involve Vista, if you have the same issue look into your graphic card and think about upgrading drivers and/or getting a new card (possibly NVidia). Meanwhile use this thread to lower your fps... http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopic.php?t=18595 Gaming graphics may not be the best but at least you should be able to play ;) Thanks for all the help guys.

Hi everyone :]

I realize that there's about a million threads in this section named "fps" or "Vista," and I apologize for posting yet another one x_x After reading a good number of them I still don't understand what's needed to fix them. Yes I am a complete computer noob...I use it solely for the net and games.

My problem is basically with the lags. It's always been there when I used my old computer (Compaq with Windows XP), more or less, but it was still playable. Recently I got a new computer (HP Touchsmart with Windows Vista) and the performance of the game went down dramatically. I know it's not my ping nor my net connection, since the first is usually around 50-60's and the latter is broadband, which leaves my fps. When I used the old Compaq my fps was usually around 100-150, but with this new one I get about 20 fps max in any server that has more than three players.

Sorry for such a lengthy description of my problem, I tried to be...as specific as possible : P I'm more than willing to post up my specs but I don't know how to find it lol. Well there's a sticker on my comp that says intel core 2 duo but I've been told that's my processor so um nvm that >_> I also heard something about OpenGL (a driver??) but I have no idea what that is, much less how to get it. Thanks in advance for any help, much appreciated![/url]
Last edited by nara on Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

Try downloading drivers from the graphic card manufacter's website.
nara
Core Dumper

Post by nara »

epsy wrote:Try downloading drivers from the graphic card manufacter's website.
Searched up on touchsmart and got "Nvidia GeForce 9300M GS" for my graphics. So from a Nvidia site? Thanks epsy : )
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

he is right, it has to do with vista. new drivers don't help, maybe it has to do with the comaptibility.
the only help i can give you is: get used to it ;)
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

New drivers may not help, but drivers directly from NVidia definitely do. They have proper OpenGL suport.
nara
Core Dumper

Post by nara »

http://thevistaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=44220

I did what this tutorial said to do and was able to change OpenGL settings within my Intel driver, which means that my Intel driver does support and already has OpenGL...aka my fps problem has nothing to do with not having OpenGL, at least as far as I know. Now I don't even know what the problem is with my fps...lol
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Intel? You have an NVidia card, at least you said so. You probably also have an Intel onboard GPU, but it's inactive as soon as the NVidia card is plugged in. So go to NVidia's website and download the drivers there.
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

nara
Core Dumper

Post by nara »

Oops sorry :oops: Turns out I don't have Nvidia GeForce 9300M GS as my graphics. Finally figured out my specs and it said:

Name: Intel 4 Series Internal Chipset
Chip Type: Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Main Driver: igdumd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll
Version: 7.15.0010.1537

which means that I don't even have the right kind of graphics card to begin with, so I can't download any NVidia driver
noob13
Average Program

Post by noob13 »

:P
This probably means you need an Intel graphics driver. Try this place: http://downloadcenter.intel.com

They seem to have lots of different drivers for lots of of different chipsets and such. I can't be sure which one you need :/ Start by clicking "Graphics" on the left. Good luck.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Yeah, I'd still try a driver update. However, some the Intel chips really suck, and even though this game isn't using any of that fancy stuff invented by GPU manufactures in the last couple of years, it may just be that your PC isn't powerful enough. But try the update, it can't hurt.
nara
Core Dumper

Post by nara »

Yeah I should be more careful with Intel next time, it seems like my current card is totally useless. Decided to just get a NVidia card, having a friend pick one out for moi. Before that happens I guess I'll just waste time on the wii ;) Thanks to all for the help~
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

Until then you could always try to change settings around a bit, there's a lengthy topic about it here: http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopic.php?t=18595

Sparks tend to bring the FPS down pretty hard.
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

I remember when i was beta testing i would have to remove the Windows video driver then i could install the driver from my manufacturer.

If i did not do that installing the manufacturer driver would not work.

of course that was the beta vista, may have changed since then ;)
noob_saibot
Round Winner

Post by noob_saibot »

Lackadaisical wrote:Until then you could always try to change settings around a bit, there's a lengthy topic about it here: http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopic.php?t=18595

Sparks tend to bring the FPS down pretty hard.
i also use vista, and i have tried to make all those recommended changes, sparks and everything else. however my fps has not really improved. this goes a few months back, and ever since i have lost hope about increasing my fps and i just deal with it now :wink:
WINNER OF: Ladle 47 .... preSsure's mom & Durka's mom

"If you're not part of the freaks, you're part of the boredom." -Perry Farrell