my moviepacks (start: page 2)

Got something that makes Armagetron look shiny? Post it here.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

my moviepacks (start: page 2)

Post by Word »

is it possible to convert this ( http://www.file-upload.net/download-149 ... n.3ds.html ) into a cycle-model that can be part of a moviepack (i know it'll be very laggy, i use it just for fun xD ) ? I have Cinema 4d, so i cannot convert it myself, because there are no ASE plugins . i didn't use any textures.
Last edited by Word on Sun May 09, 2010 1:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Misery
Round Winner

Post by Misery »

It's VERY possible to use it in a moviepack. BUT... it would have to be reworked to lower the poly count. Looks like that model has WAYYY too many polys just as is. It would make most mid/high grade computers choke on its own process cycles.
"Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable."
~Leonard Bernstein
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

I spent some time today looking around for a definitive answer to polygon counts. I didn't find one, probably because it's somewhat arbitrary (partially decided by your system). But after looking through a lot of edd keefe's posts, < 300 looks like a good target for polygon depth.

I would say spend more time on a really great texture, and less time on the model detail. Most of it will be lost in-game anyway. You're model can be pretty much a cube, but with a great texture it will look superb.

Anyone with more model experience have something to add?
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Modern systems can handle enormous amounts of polygons. It's mostly a matter of feeding them efficiently. Arma isn't particularly good at that, but it does support display lists, and it would appear that it actually works for models in older versions. If those work out well you can get away with trainloads of polygons without hitting performance much. Either way 300 is for really old systems (say, a decade, not 5 years).
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
AI Teâm
Core Dumper

Post by AI Teâm »

Misery wrote:It's VERY possible to use it in a moviepack. BUT... it would have to be reworked to lower the poly count. Looks like that model has WAYYY too many polys just as is. It would make most mid/high grade computers choke on its own process cycles.
and how to do , that you can use it??
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

AI Teâm wrote:and how to do , that you can use it??
Each program is different. Some have built in functions that help do that and some don't. It's up to the creator to learn their modeling tools.
AI Teâm
Core Dumper

Post by AI Teâm »

yeah but Cinema 4D does not have a .ase plugin.
but maybe you can open your .3ds project with blender and save it as .ase!
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

AI Teâm wrote:yeah but Cinema 4D does not have a .ase plugin.
Right, but a quick Google search provided me with this link: http://www.remotion4d.net/downloads_d2.php
..which says this: ASE T3D Exporter FREE (Win32/Win64/oldMac) | 13.July.2008 |

Since I don't use C4D, I can't tell you if it's any good. Have either of you guys tried this?

I also see that Word posted about this same problem last summer on lagtest.net: http://www.lagtest.net/forum/viewtopic. ... 921#p41921
...and he was directed to this file format converter: http://www.micromouse.ca/

It's only for Windows platforms, but maybe someone else might find it helpful.
Word

Post by Word »

AccuTrans is a useful program, but it didn't help me with the cycle for arma :P, thanks for the first link i'll try it now

edit: i successfully exported it, thanks a lot sine :)
but arma collapses when i start the moviepack, so i think it's still too detailed. i will post a simplier file here soon!
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Word wrote:...arma collapses when i start the moviepack, so i think it's still too detailed.
LOL! :P Looking forward to having your model crash my client too.
Misery
Round Winner

Post by Misery »

I can't promise anything, but I'll see what I can do with that car model. I've been really busy with work and other projects. I still haven't even finished MY OWN movie pack.
"Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable."
~Leonard Bernstein
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Misery wrote:I still haven't even finished MY OWN movie pack.
/me taps foot impatiently... :roll:
Word

Post by Word »

It would last too long for me to change the polygons of The Aston Martin now, so i used a citroen ds, I'll upload it as soon as i have good textures and wheels.

Here are some screenshots.
First i had some problems with the size xD :

Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

I see you still have a rubber problem.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Word

Post by Word »

lol i did that so i have some time to move the cam and chose a view i like

These are the textures i want to make: like in the picture there is always a beige roof, that part of the car body that is blue here can be chosen by every player (the setting is called "Interlaced" in Photoshop), furthermore i want the lights to be red and white and the logo metallic :P