How to gain FPS

Got something that makes Armagetron look shiny? Post it here.
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

I play sumo and fort (and a little no rubber). Sumo is the main culprit. Try going on to Wild West sumo or Wild West team sumo when there are quite a few players on.

I have an AMD 2400+ XP cpu, 256MB SDRAM (that amount is plenty for my OS because I don't use Windows/KDE/Gnome) and an ATI Radeon 9200 gfx card. I also have DDR slots and may get some DDR ram if I can find it cheap enough (maybe my ram is too slow and is causing a bottleneck).
Playing since December 2006
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Yeah, your computer is a bit slower than the one I was using with thsoe settings (haven't played since switching computers).

It was the same processor, but with an Nvidia gfx and motherboard. 512MB DDR RAM, I think the gfx only had 64MB on it. It's a Compaq Presario laptop that's currently sitting in the closet waiting for a new cpu fan. There are some screenshots on the screenshots page that I took with that computer, and I ran with all the detail settings on, mirror everything, etc, 1280x800 resolution.

My new computer is supposed to be a little faster, I just haven't had a lot of interest in playing recently. I've got a computer in the bedroom that runs at an even higher resolution, and with all the detail settings on I think I got somewhere around 120fps, I just couldn't get it to run any slower than that. :) I need to go back to it and take some screenshots with it, I think. ;)

Otherwise, our playing areas are much the same, except that I tend to hit the CTF servers even though they're usually packed with smegheads.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
FourMJR
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by FourMJR »

Hey thanks for this post! So far, when I start a match It's around 50 than drops to around 20. Which is good. Although I feel something is still wrong, please check my thread, here
schwuli
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by schwuli »

hi,
i have been experiencing similar fps problems since a few months. lately its nearly unplayable. my fps start with 50 - 75 and fall to 5 - 15. i mostly get a ping about 50, which should not be the problem. i neither get any lag problems. i did all changes to, which had been suggested. now i start with fps about 150, but still fall to 10 - 25. i also changed all my ati graphic options to optimal performance, but nothing seems to help.

the strangest thing is the beginning of the fps drop. i have 150 fps and then i experience (sorry for eventual wrong words, but im no native speaker) some strange cogging, bucking, jerking, juddering?!!? i dont know exactly how to explain. after these strange things have happened i have about the mentioned 15 fps. its even possible to get another "bucking". which is followed by a fps increase about 50. but after few seconds i have again this strange "bucking" and fps are back about 15.

i mostly play sumo, but even turning off alpha bending doesnt help. i dont have the best computer, but i think it should be able to handle tron.

here are eventual important facts of my computer:
MSI Megabook VR610 TK5726VHP
AMD Athlon 64 X2 TK-57 ( Dual-Core )
2 GB (installed) / 2 GB (Max) - DDR2 SDRAM
ATI Radeon X1270

ps: we had a similar discussion on armagetron.co.uk and somebody asked whether it would be possible that tron has generally any problems with 64bit cpu.

for those who are interested:
http://armagetron.co.uk/forum/index.php ... 881.0.html
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

I think the high starting FPS and dropping happens for most if not all

If it gradually started happening over time I would think maybe your PC is full of dust. so maybe clean dust out of PC :P But you PC usually overheats and starts acting up when that happens.
schwuli
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by schwuli »

kyle i dont think that "dust" is the problem. :wink:
after i first experienced these problems i typed format c: and reinstalled windows (yes windows, i know that i am noob :P ) , but i had same problems ;)
furthermore my laptop doesnt overheat, because i am using a Titan Magic TTC-G4TZ cooling pad lately. i use speedfan and i ve never come over 70°C. i think that temperature is ok, but i dont know exactly. :roll:
schwuli
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by schwuli »

this "bucking" topic gets even stranger...
i dont have any "bucking" while playing with v2.5.2, v2.6.1 or v2.7.1. i have still low fps, but its really a lot better to play with these versions than with v2.8.2 or v3.0. but unfortunately most server versions are to new for the older tron versions, so i just tested these things on tigers classic. :(
i come more and more to the conclusion that this "bucking" comes from "zone collapsing" in full sumo servers. :?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Have you tried 0.2.8.3_beta1 or one of the previous alphas from 0.2.8? They have some display optimizations.

Otherwise, try different versions of your graphics drivers. Reports from other games suggest that OpenGL performance can vary greatly from one build to the other.
schwuli
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by schwuli »

i always update my graphic drivers, but i have never experienced any quality differences between the driver versions.

i tried v2.8_alpha20090113 few minutes ago and i must say that i am pretty content. anyway i am going to test v2.8.3_beta1 soon.
Lacrymosa
Round Winner

Post by Lacrymosa »

schwuli wrote:i always update my graphic drivers, but i have never experienced any quality differences between the driver versions.
I do, it turned out that the latest update helped me to gain more than 20 fps without changing any settigns at all. And you might as well want to take a look at your graphic drivers settings (nvidia/ati control panel or whatever it's called). There are some options you could/should change so that it uses the OpenGL specifics, helped me to gain a couple of fps as well.
ender
Average Program

Post by ender »

BUY A NEW GRAPHICS CARD :!: :!: :!: :!: :roll:
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

AND GET PWNED BY A SHITTY NEW GRAPHICS CARD Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Rolling Eyes

AND CRUSH IT INTO YOUR LAPTOP Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Rolling Eyes

AND **** UP THE CAPSLOCK KEY Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Rolling Eyes
Paladin
Average Program

Post by Paladin »

How is it that you obtain FPS greater than 60 on a windows machine? I was always under the understanding that Windows itself limited fps to 60, but judging by what schwuli said that appears to be incorrect. I've tried fiddling with in-game settings, downloading the latest driver for my 9600M GT, and changing settings on the graphic card itself, such as V-Sync and Triple Buffering, to no avail. I've had the latest Beta recommended but would that allow for fps to be unlocked? It seems unlikely to me, and seeing as I'm currently on dial-up, I'm hesitant to download the beta. Yes, 2.7 mbs takes a while to download.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Windows itself does not limit FPS to 60, it's the vsync setting of the graphics driver. Disable that and you unlock more FPS. But note that there is no real advantage of doing so, and you risk getting visual tearing artefacts. The one situation where disabling the vsync lock is of advantage is when you get unsteady and low fps (between 10 and 60), then having sync enabled can cause stuttering. In that case, tearing artefacts are the lesser evil.
Pink Tomatoes
Average Program

Post by Pink Tomatoes »

Someone said to me that it is 60 FPS even without vsync limited due to the Refresh Rate setting of the monitor?