"Plan" for unicode

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I've been considering backing away from 0.3.1 for a couple of weeks, maybe we should just do that? I can merge back to the trunk and leave the branch for a little bit, and we can get this ftgl thing straightened out.

We have the issue where the configure option to use a different ftgl than the sys-installed one doesn't work. I'd like to have that straightened out.

I personally won't have time to work on 0.3.1 until next weekend, more than likely. It's a busy week I've got scheduled. The week after will also be pretty busy, and it's followed by two weekends in a row with my kids.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Maybe. We'll just finish up the utf branch and merge it to the trunk, you can then decide later what should happen to 0.3.1, depending on how badly we mess things up :)
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Erk. It's not possible to merge from trunk to utf8 or vice versa in bzr. Reason being the utf8 branch was recreated using bzr-svn, which makes it in principle compatible with the trunk, but all the merge revisions are missing, so bzr gets confused. I'll have to restart it properly. That PROBABLY means for your work branch:
you won't be able to push your changes up. So if you have any work still unpushed, make a new check out and merge it over there manually. Sorry about that, I'll remember it when we're doing the next branch.

Edit: done.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

I think the last couple of serious bugs should be fixed now and the quality is good enough to merge things back to the trunk. The only thing left I see is formatting trouble with old versions of FTGL, where one would need to remove color codes from wstrings to get accurate lengths back, but as far as I can see, only linebreaks are still affected. In the long run, that's an ignorable problem :)

Anyway, please test. Obviously, I want to merge ASAP (and reasonable).

Oh, one more problem that prevents us from merging this to 0.3.1: user.cfg. We need to load any old user.cfg in as latin1 encoded, otherwise non-ascii player names and instant chats get garbled (and in the current state, they'll even crash the font renderer, something we'll have to take care of (Edit: done, config files are checked)). The plan would be, of course, to generate user_3_2.cfg in utf8 and load user_3_1.cfg and older in as latin1 if user_3_2.cfg doesn't exist.
Edit: of course, we can use a new file called user_3_1_utf8.cfg. Which is what the branch is doing right now.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Yep, can't find any more serious problems. Objections to merging it this Sunday?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Z-Man wrote:Yep, can't find any more serious problems. Objections to merging it this Sunday?
Sunday is a day of rest, because the Lord created the earth in a whopping six days, and then took a breather.

- Iron Maiden
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

So Saturday then? :)
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Lucifer wrote:
Z-Man wrote:Yep, can't find any more serious problems. Objections to merging it this Sunday?
Sunday is a day of rest, because the Lord created the earth in a whopping six days, and then took a breather.
Hmm. Right. But what if I set up a cronjob to do the work? (That's jumping over the obvious "But I'm not working, the machine is." "Yes, but you're pressing the button to make the machine work." bit of the discussion for the slow folks out there.)
Last edited by Z-Man on Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Then that's just clever.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Well, the Lord didn't make cronjobs, you know...

- Iron Maiden
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Is that supposed to mean they're not allowed? You'd be wrong.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

No, it's supposed to mean cron doesn't have to rest. ;)

- Iron Maiden
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Merge is done. In bzr, at least. bazaarmagetron is having hickups from system updates, nothing to worry about just yet, but it was unable to push to svn for some reason. I should be able to revert in case I don't manage to fix things.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

bazaarmagetron is healthy again. The utf8 branch has been taken out of its configuration, it is now officially merged and completed. Yay!