HUD(Cockpit) Brainstorming/ideas

Got something that makes Armagetron look shiny? Post it here.
Your_mom
Match Winner

HUD(Cockpit) Brainstorming/ideas

Post by Your_mom »

Well, after using this HUD for a long time(it was quite usable and fun to look at[will release eventually]), I've decided to try a new HUD. I'd like some ideas of what other people think is (un)necessary in a HUD ie. I like the plain needle gauge for speed and i don't usually look at the accel gauge during games.

Also for no real reason, some ideas for what should be included in future releases. Controllable fonts... I have mixed feelings about this idea. Needle gauge start/end degree control see this page to see what i mean.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I think the rubber gauge is totally useless. :)

Well, I like small bar gauges right near my cycle (smartcam), so I can easily see them without having to look away. But at the end of the day, I don't really use the gauges much, just the map. I'm thinking about revising my own cockpit to eliminate all the gauges and keep only the map.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

Lucifer wrote:I think the rubber gauge is totally useless. :)
I find it useful in servers with more then 4 rubber (to varying degrees). That said i also use it to check how much rubber a server has when i join.
Lucifer wrote:... I don't really use the gauges much, just the map.
I find the map quite useful. I don't find myself using it more or less then anything else on a HUD.

On the topic of an In cam cockpit HUD. I like the idea, but i don't see a way to execute it properly. Glancing wouldn't change the appearance and would ruin any illusion, of driving a light cycle that is. I also think it would create more blindspots(negatives) then the hud features(positives) would help. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Also heres a random unfinished hud i threw together.
Textures = blindspots
Attachments
light textures used to combat players using dark lightcycles as camo
light textures used to combat players using dark lightcycles as camo
ender
Average Program

Post by ender »

pretty cool!
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

I tried out making an incam cockpit roughly based on luci's post here. This is also unfinished of course
Attachments
Lazy unfinished prototypes, fun to make
Lazy unfinished prototypes, fun to make
Misery
Round Winner

Post by Misery »

Pretty interesting, Mom. Even if it IS just a prototype.
"Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable."
~Leonard Bernstein