Fortress Club

For things that have to do with those crazy test servers... and yeah. By request of z-man, and, of course, you gotta obey...

Moderator: Z-Man

hoop
Round Winner

Fortress Club

Post by hoop »

quoting from Play Fortress
Lackadaisical wrote:The problem with fortress is trying to get a game started, once it reaches ‘critical mass’, when the server has >8 players it usually stays full for the rest of the evening.
[...]
I think it would be nice if we had a fortress server where you play some sort of teamsumo with two teams, with up to four players and when there’s 8 or more people it changes to fortress.
[...]
Another solution would be to have a map where only one team has a zone (and the other zone would be outside of the map), so there’s one team that has to attack and one that has to defend.
I (almost) literally took lacka's ideas and set up a server, it's called Fortress Club :wink:
It's still testing and needs to be tuned, but it's playable already
At the moment it works this way:
1) less than 4 players => classic sumo
2) 4 to 7 players => half fortress (only one zone, switching every round)
3) more than 7 players => classic fortress

It's hosted in the US by Pink Tomatoes, and actually it lags because of an expensive script (going to be solved soon)
IMO every fortress server should work like that, except for those dedicated to competitions, of course.
Once I fix the current bugs, it would be cool to have a clone hosted in Europe, wouldnt it?
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

well, FTS has sumo when there is less than 4 players
hoop
Round Winner

Post by hoop »

epsy wrote:well, FTS has sumo when there is less than 4 players
yea, well it's one of the two ideas, so I'm 50% satisfied :P
Corn wrote:I would enjoy the 1 zone fortress map style a lot, and i think a lot of other people would too.
/me agrees 100%

I've moved the developing related discussion here:
http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopic.php?t=18870
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

What if there's 7 players and someone enters, then leaves the next round? Since Fortress and Sumo have different scoring systems, won't the match have to be restarted ever time this happens?
hoop
Round Winner

Post by hoop »

DDMJ wrote:What if there's 7 players and someone enters, then leaves the next round? Since Fortress and Sumo have different scoring systems, won't the match have to be restarted ever time this happens?
Yes, when the server switches from sumo to fort and vicevers the match restarts.

ps.: that happens when there's 3 or 4 players ;)
pavelo
Average Program

Post by pavelo »

hoop wrote:
DDMJ wrote:What if there's 7 players and someone enters, then leaves the next round? Since Fortress and Sumo have different scoring systems, won't the match have to be restarted ever time this happens?
Yes, when the server switches from sumo to fort and vicevers the match restarts.
You can always add some hysteresis...
ie. switch the mode only when there's threshhold-1 players for X rounds, or if there is a large change in number of players
Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Concord »

/me foresees a world in which he won't be able to battle Armagetron in fortress with a 107 ping.