OS X Recorder: To aid in playback/creation debug recordings

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

OS X Recorder: To aid in playback/creation debug recordings

Post by dlh »

This module is just an interface to start Armagetron Advanced with --record, --fastforward, and --playback, if anyone was wondering. I reckon most users won't be able to start from the command line. Should be finished up pretty soon.

How are the people on Windows using the recording options?
Attachments
Interface
Interface
Last edited by dlh on Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

More screenshots, please :)
working on a Qt port... =p
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

I went back and rewrote the whole thing.

= General
* Now stores where the Armagetron app is located in a preference file.
* Doesn't crash.
* Sheets instead of modal dialogs for most everything

= Recording
* Compressing a recording now works

= Playback
* If you open a compressed recording (.zip, .bzip2, .bz, and not yet implemented .gz), it will decompress it and play it. After the recording is done it will delete the decompressed file.

The only other thing missing besides .gz decompression is that the Armagetron app is not given focus. I don't think giving focus to another app started by NSTask is possible.

=Usage
First run you will get an alert requesting you set where Armagetron is located. If you ever want to change that it is in the App menu (Set ArmaAd location or something).

All other options are pretty self-explanatory. Maybe more OS X users will start recording now :)
Attachments
armagetronad_recorder-src.tar.bz2
source
(32.49 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
armagetronad_recorder.tar.bz2
Application for use (sorry, I did not make an icon).
(23.05 KiB) Downloaded 301 times
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

You know, it would be nice if we could bind armagetron to a window of our choosing, you know, like how you can do that with mplayer. Does SDL let you do that?

Edit: Yes it does.

http://www.libsdl.org/cgi/docwiki.cgi/SDL_5fenvvars
The Fine Wiki wrote: SDL_WINDOWID

For X11 or Win32, contains the ID number of the window to be used by SDL instead of creating its own window. Either in decimal or in hex (prefixed by 0x).
Might be worthwhile for you to find out if you can use this in OS X without needing X. Then it would be nice to have a pygame-based interface instead, when you can run it cross-platform.

Next feature request: commandline argument specifying what map to load, another one specifying "embedded", and the game will start up, load that map, and shoot striaght into a game with the AIs on that map.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Lucifer wrote:Next feature request: commandline argument specifying what map to load, another one specifying "embedded", and the game will start up, load that map, and shoot striaght into a game with the AIs on that map.
You're thinking about adding a "Test" button to your editor, right?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

:D

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
onearmbandit
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by onearmbandit »

wow!

amazing recording app.

very very nice *thumps up

Does anyone know if there is new development on this?
And i thought i read somewhere (can't find it anymore) that it only works on your own mac, so no sharing these files? Would be great tho..
madmax
Round Winner

Post by madmax »

onearmbandit wrote:And i thought i read somewhere (can't find it anymore) that it only works on your own mac, so no sharing these files? Would be great tho..
You can share the .aarec files... I think there's just some incompatibility between different Armagetron versions, like 0.2.8 <-> 0.3.

As of development what else would you need from this?
This is just an interface to the regular armagetronad --record/playback filename...
Winner of the How Many Pages Before The Lock® competition and a grand total of 18,93 euros in Euromillions.
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

madmax wrote:
onearmbandit wrote:And i thought i read somewhere (can't find it anymore) that it only works on your own mac, so no sharing these files? Would be great tho..
You can share the .aarec files... I think there's just some incompatibility between different Armagetron versions, like 0.2.8 <-> 0.3.
No, it's true. Armagetron recordings are totally unreliable, and it's mainly luck when you can play them back on different platforms. They were meant as something to help with reproducing bugs, not for recording matches(or whatever)
madmax
Round Winner

Post by madmax »

epsy wrote:No, it's true. Armagetron recordings are totally unreliable, and it's mainly luck when you can play them back on different platforms.
Yep, you're right... wasn't aware of that:
wiki wrote:you can't play the recording back in any other version of Armagetron than you recorded it with
you can't even reliably play it back with the same version on a different machine
you can't play the recording back at any framerate your client can manage
you can't skip backward
(...)
Don't recall having problems playing back one from a different platform though...
Winner of the How Many Pages Before The Lock® competition and a grand total of 18,93 euros in Euromillions.