textures

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
Crazy
Core Dumper

textures

Post by Crazy »

will the texture files support transparencies?

files like dir_wall, rim_wall, and title?
Last edited by Crazy on Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Some do, some don't. Read this page in the Wiki first, then experiment and see what you get!

http://wiki.armagetronad.net/index.php?title=Moviepacks
Crazy
Core Dumper

Post by Crazy »

another question, are there textures for the zones?

I want to make them solid=P
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Currently there are no textures associated with zones. The only way you can alter their appearance is to dive into the code and make changes. However, there are plans for more flexibility with zones in the future. Read the following for more info:

http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopic.php?t=6521
http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopic.php?t=17021
Last edited by sinewav on Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ivantis
Round Winner

Post by ivantis »

well, currently they are solid, unless you have ALPHA_BLENDING or whatever on
Crazy
Core Dumper

Post by Crazy »

no, not that kind of solid ivantis.....

the space between the red parts.....

currently the zone has see through parts......i want a solid circle ;)

back to the wall thing.....

i tried replacing the wall texture with parts of it transparent, but in game, there is no difference...

what am i doing wrong?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Crazy wrote:currently the zone has see through parts......i want a solid circle ;)
You might be interested to read about hoop's zone hack. What you're asking for is possible, but you'll need help for sure. Read:
http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopic.php?t=18646
Crazy wrote: i tried replacing the wall texture with parts of it transparent, but in game, there is no difference...
Which wall texture? The cycle wall (dir_wall.png) or the arena wall (rim_wall.png)? Only the cycle walls support transparency (see wiki link above). Also, it might be helpful to give us the files to look at, or at least a screenshot.
Crazy
Core Dumper

Post by Crazy »

Electric Turtle wrote:You might be interested to read about hoop's zone hack. What you're asking for is possible, but you'll need help for sure.
yeah, thats what i want. but i have no idea about patching or any of that, how do i use it?what do i do? (using win xp here and version 0.2.8.2 of arma)
Electric Turtle wrote:Which wall texture? The cycle wall (dir_wall.png) or the arena wall (rim_wall.png)? Only the cycle walls support transparency
rimwall, i wish i knew that before=P That explains why it was working for dir wall
ok, so can i have the rim walls be short? and have nothing above?
Electric Turtle wrote:Also, it might be helpful to give us the files to look at, or at least a screenshot.
sure i can do that, just tell me what files you want or what i should take screenshot of=)
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Crazy wrote:but i have no idea about patching or any of that, how do i use it?what do i do? (using win xp here and version 0.2.8.2 of arma)
If you are not familiar with patching, you'll have to do some research. Unfortunately, that's outside of my experience also, but maybe someone else here can offer a suggestion? ...Anyone? ...Bueller?
Crazy wrote:ok, so can i have the rim walls be short?
Yes. First, have you tried turning off the "high rim" in you client's settings? The menu path would be: System Setup > Display Settings > Preferences > High Rim "off". This will give you a shorter wall.

If this preset height is not what you are looking for, then maybe you can make your own map and change the height using the wall height property. That would look like this:

<Wall height="x"> (where x = a number between 1-10 for a short wall)

But, first you need to know more about maps, so look here:
http://wiki.armagetronad.net/index.php? ... _Beginners
Crazy
Core Dumper

Post by Crazy »

Maybe someone else could write the code and give it to me?

yeah, i tried high rim thing long time ago.....only changes some walls...

yeah, i know about in my maps, but i want this for use on other peoples maps ;)

But, first you need to know more about maps, so look here:
http://wiki.armagetronad.net/index.php? ... _Beginners
i know how to make maps already, did they change the wiki alot though?
i was looking at it the other day.....seems different....

anyone know why transparencies aren't supported on the rim_walls?
and a way to get them/change height i see walls at?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Crazy wrote:yeah, i tried high rim thing long time ago.....only changes some walls...yeah, i know about in my maps, but i want this for use on other peoples maps ;)
Like, in CTWF? Many of those maps have walls defined with the height property (<Wall height="x">). If you're really into it, you can edit the local copy of whatever map and remove the defined property and value (or just change the value as you see fit). It might be kind of tedious work - unless you have a text editor that supports regular expressions; then it would be pretty easy. Heh, I think I know what you're getting at and I've thought about doing the same thing actually.
Crazy
Core Dumper

Post by Crazy »

so, would that allow me to still play that map, or would it change it back as soon as i connectt back to that server?

and yeah, like that, and DD racing and other servers that use custom maps....
hoop
Round Winner

Post by hoop »

Crazy wrote:so, would that allow me to still play that map, or would it change it back as soon as i connectt back to that server?

and yeah, like that, and DD racing and other servers that use custom maps....
When you visit a server your client downloads any map you don't have in your hard drive yet. If you modify them they won't change back, unless the server admin upgrades the map version or changes its name, or its location.
Crazy wrote:Maybe someone else could write the code and give it to me?
To get the zones patch working you will need to patch Arma source and compile it. If can't do that your choices are 1: learn how, 2: ask someone to do it, 3: wait untill someone will release a windows version
Crazy
Core Dumper

Post by Crazy »

hoop wrote: When you visit a server your client downloads any map you don't have in your hard drive yet. If you modify them they won't change back, unless the server admin upgrades the map version or changes its name, or its location.
so you could edit wall coordinates and it wouldn't change back to normal??O0
hoop wrote:To get the zones patch working you will need to patch Arma source and compile it. If can't do that your choices are 1: learn how, 2: ask someone to do it, 3: wait untill someone will release a windows version
nope, i can't do it.... don't wanna learn how, ill forget something important....
i asked someone to do it with that 'maybe someone else could do it' part ;)

hey hoop, how long till a windows version comes out? :P
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Crazy wrote:so you could edit wall coordinates and it wouldn't change back to normal??O0
Correct. If the map file changes in the future it will likely have a different version number and you'll have to do it again.
hoop wrote:To get the zones patch working you will need to patch Arma source and compile it. If can't do that your choices are 1: learn how, 2: ask someone to do it, 3: wait untill someone will release a windows version
I'll wait for number 3, thank you. :D

/me has reached the limits of his technical know-how and lacks the incentive to learn more.