New moviepack sounds straight from the arcade ROM

Made a pack that makes Armagetron sound like a rock concert? Hook us up!
Misery
Round Winner

New moviepack sounds straight from the arcade ROM

Post by Misery »

I found this excellent little program that allows you to play music and sound fx from old arcade ROMs. You can even record them as .wav files. It's called M1 Fox Player.

So I made an oldschool style movie sound pack for 0.2.8.

Cycturn.wav and Extro.wav remain the same from the original movie pack, but Dietron.wav, Intro.wav and Engine.wav are all original arcade sounds. I tried them in-game, and they work out rather well. Just extract the files to your /moviesounds directory, where ever that may be.

Let me know what you think. Positive or negative feedback welcome. :D
Attachments
moviesounds.rar
Tron Arcade Sounds.
(992.55 KiB) Downloaded 705 times
Last edited by Misery on Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable."
~Leonard Bernstein
ivantis
Round Winner

Post by ivantis »

sweet. what program is this that grabs the sound from ROMs? i used to play a lot with MAME
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Hey man, I like that. I had wanted to do the same thing (back when I played) but didn't have the extraction software. Never really looked, actually.

Nice coincidence how the intro syncs up perfectly with the start of the round—if you're the first into a server (or local game), of course—at least in my case.

Finish it out, though. I'd suggest for the 'cycturn' using the little click/typewriter sound when the words/instructions are going up prior to a board. That is, if you can isolate a single click. Might be a little harsh, though, I dunno. If it is, try one of the little "beeps" from when you're shooting (throwing your disc) and hit the force field around the MCP, ya know—the sound of contact, not the actual shot. That might actually be better, come to think of it. My view is you want something very brief and subtle for the turning sound, especially with all these multibinding spazzes.

Then for the extro, that's pretty obvious: either the sad little tune for when you die, or the more upbeat one at the Game Over/Continue screen. I think the latter would work better, since it's not like you've necessarily lost when disconnecting from a server.

How does the engine sound come out of the game? Is that the lowest pitch?

Maybe offer as a second option for 'dietron' the sound for when your man gets derez'ed in the other boards? e.g., dietron(a).wav, detron(b).wav
Misery
Round Winner

Post by Misery »

OK... I took Louvens advice and changed cycturn.wav and Extro.wav. Lemme tell ya, making a decent cycle turn sound is HARD! I must have went through 15 different variations. I finally just settled on one. I'm not really happy with it, but at least it works. Also, the engine sounded a little high, so I brought it down two semi-tones.

Sooooo... Lemme know what ya think. :D

Oh... And thanx Phytotron. :)
Attachments
moviesounds.zip
Finished (I think) sounds
(1.94 MiB) Downloaded 497 times
~Leonard Bernstein
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

I still like the Game Over/Continue music better, albeit lengthier. :wink:

Attached below is the 'cycturn' sound I had settled on for some time, up until I quit. I think I stole it from some other game; can't remember which and can't find the original (I have a folder full of potential sound effects for AA, and it's not in there). And I might've tweaked it in Audacity? Dunno. Anyway, I think it works pretty well.

A couple others I found worked well: A single "waka" (or "wak," as it were) dot-eating sound from Pac-Man games. And there's a great uDevGame from 2002 called Kiki the Nanobot in which there's a sound titled "bot_jump.wav." Although, for some reason that one is played back faster/at a higher pitch in AA. ::shrug::

Also, devs correct me if I'm wrong, but I found that a larger (even just 100KB) cycturn can sort of lag the game and your turns. This one, as you'll see, is only 20KB.

Oh, and yes, I put a false "jpg" at the end for uploading purposes. Change to "wav."
Attachments
cycturn.jpg
(17.01 KiB) Downloaded 1498 times
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

By the way, I can't find anything called "M1 Fox Player." :?:
Misery
Round Winner

Post by Misery »

OOPS. Sorry about that...

The name is actually "FoxM1 Player". But since I found this little gem, I've found another updated player to the FoxM1, the "BridgeM1". The latest FoxM1 only supports a little over 700 ROM sets. BridgeM1 supports about TWICE as much. And it has all the same functionality as the FoxM1, and more. And it seems like this project isn't dead on the water. They've been steadily working in it. Soooo... Try it out!

http://www.e2j.net/downloads.html

If anyone has any questions, just PM me.
~Leonard Bernstein
T-800 CSM101-E

Re: New moviepack sounds straight from the arcade ROM

Post by T-800 CSM101-E »

Could you write a new version of this? I downloaded it and it doesn't work on version 0.2.8.3.1, It sounds like it's really cool!