no sealing?

Anything about how you get those awesome core-dumps, or why you don't get them...
Mecca
Match Winner

Post by Mecca »

I understand why sealing is frowned upon by a lot of people but...

Why is it considered the other persons lack of skill when YOU were the one that obviousely fell into checkmate (sealed)

once you know how to play tron, its a strategy game
Infamous
Average Program

Post by Infamous »

Sealed.
Homer: Uh...it's like...did anyone see the movie "Tron"?
Dr. Hibbert: No.
Lisa: No.
Marge: No.
Wiggum: No.
Bart: No.
Patty: No.
Ned: No.
Selma: No.
Prof. Frink: No.
Rev. Lovejoy: No.
Wiggum: Yes. I mean -- um, I mean, no. No, heh.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Wow, I can't believe some fool is actually trying to claim some sort of psychoanalysis from whether someone plays by a certain segment's stupid, made-up rules in Armagetron.

And I don't know how it is now, but a couple years ago when that "open" nonsense started becoming a fad, those were the players always berating, insulting, and generally harassing anyone who didn't play by their rules. Misery's and Akira's posts seem to indicate that's still the case.
Infamous
Average Program

Post by Infamous »

I actually agree with Phytotron.... :| f*ck.

It's the same as the holing/ganking/digging shit. How can you complain about how your enemy is playing? makes no sense.
Homer: Uh...it's like...did anyone see the movie "Tron"?
Dr. Hibbert: No.
Lisa: No.
Marge: No.
Bart: No.
Patty: No.
Ned: No.
Selma: No.
Prof. Frink: No.
Rev. Lovejoy: No.
Wiggum: Yes. I mean -- um, I mean, no. No, heh.
FroZen
Average Program

Post by FroZen »

Phytotron wrote:Wow, I can't believe some fool is actually trying to claim some sort of psychoanalysis from whether someone plays by a certain segment's stupid, made-up rules in Armagetron.
http://www.xzlclan.com/the/website/view ... 12&start=0

Complaints about sealing, open play, dogfighting, cornering, plugging, holing, speeding, digging and anything of that sort have significantly multiplied.
The amount of players that find these forms of play morally wrong have multiplied. I find it hard to comprehend what passes through a person's mind when they choose to complain about such things. Nowadays if one is playing without abiding by this imaginary constitution, one is seen as cruel or hostile. Like others have mentioned, the point of Armagetron is to core dump your opponent. But if players wish to play while following this imaginary constitution, there is nothing wrong with that.
What is wrong is when we have a large amount of the Community trying to force these laws on others or getting irritated when others do not follow them.
In my mind the golden rule is to simply play however you desire while abiding by the guidelines in that specific Server. Hypothetically if one does that they should avoid conflict, but that is not always the case. I will be happy when I have the option to have such words automatically silenced.
Otherwise, does anyone have ideas on how to combat this problem? Without banning a large amount of players.
Misery
Round Winner

Post by Misery »

Ignore people who complain. Works for me! :D
"Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable."
~Leonard Bernstein
Fonkay
Match Winner

Post by Fonkay »

/me doesn't understand why this topic still exists.
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

Because people keep reviving it even after months without posts.
There's no place like ::1
FroZen
Average Program

Post by FroZen »

Fonkay wrote:/me doesn't understand why this topic still exists.
Because it is an interesting subject.
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

excuses are a good subject indeed
SolaR
Average Program

Post by SolaR »

The People who don't want to get sealed is a server that is only df, ctf, fortress, and sumo.

Stay out of the high rubbers if you will complain.

That is all :D
Olive
Match Winner

Post by Olive »

I always tried to seal and rim as little as possible. But that was my own choice.
But complaining on people who play differently is just a little childish.(although I'm only 15 y/o)
.JamesBond
On Lightcycle Grid

Re:

Post by .JamesBond »

FroZen wrote:In my mind the golden rule is to simply play however you desire while abiding by the guidelines in that specific Server.
There you go.
So I'm reviving this topic after 4 years for a little story update. Now in 2012, the are loose dogfight servers where people play loose or get kicked which is fine. Also in High Rubber servers where I play, people play loose which is fine. Also in hr, people ask you to play loose which is fine. The only problem is when they get all mad at you for saying no. Which is not fine.
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Shaken, not stirred.
License to kill noobs and chatbot.
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Re: no sealing?

Post by Word »

while I agree, I'm certain the majority of active posters on these forums plays the game daily and like 80% of them think that High Rubber and Dog Fight servers are only challenging for noobs (or not even that), and do already know these manners from their daily experience, and regard your post as spam (just like your three recent threads on Happy Fun Time).
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Re: no sealing?

Post by Phytotron »

Word wrote:your post s spam (just like your three recent threads on Happy Fun Time).
Three? I only see one; were the others deleted? And to be fair, while I totally oppose the existence of that type of server in Armagetron, since it's there anyway it's only fair there be a topic on this forum explaining what it is. At least he put it in the right section, eh.

But yeah, James, please stop exhuming old topics like this unless you have something new and meaningful to add, and thus far that hasn't really been the case. Of course, that standard should go for anyone and any thread, including newly created ones. Which is also to say, as I've said before, I don't myself think that posting to old threads is inherently a bad thing. Making a worthless post to a newly-created thread is worse and more "spammy" than a worthwhile addition to one years old, if you ask me.