resource repository uploading

Designed a level that creates new, exciting, and challenging Armagetron game play? Or maybe just something funky. Put it right here.
Crazy
Core Dumper

resource repository uploading

Post by Crazy »

ok, so after a while of tweaking...i tried uploading and i get this message:
Filepath identified as: Crazy Gold/Rubber/pillars-1.aamap.xml

ERROR: Automatic resource uploading is only permitted for resource filepaths containing alphanumerics and the following characters: slash (category only), period (version only), underscore, and dash/hyphen.
whats wrong this time?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Looks like the space is the culprit.

Code: Select all

CrazySPACEGold/Rubber/pillars-1.aamap.xml 
Whichever bright programmer at Microsoft decided spaces belonged in filenames should be shot, given lethal injection, then shipped out to Guantanamo for questioning.

Please replace the space with an underscore (shift-minus) and try again.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
ivantis
Round Winner

Post by ivantis »

everyone at microsoft should be shot
Crazy
Core Dumper

Post by Crazy »

ok, the problem is at the resource then, could someone who has powers there please 'OK' the space or just take it out?

or will the repository accept maps with a different author than the account user name is?

Edit: i was talking with luke jr about it earlier and he also said it was the space... and he said
get someone to OK space in the name
someone relevant
so i'm guessing it's possible...
ivantis
Round Winner

Post by ivantis »

dont be dumb. even if you run windows, you shouldnt put spaces in file names. if you must, everytime you go to it, you have to replace spaces with a +, %20, or just a \ in front of the space
Crazy
Core Dumper

Post by Crazy »

even if you run windows, you shouldnt put spaces in file names.
yeah the file name came after i had already chosen the resource repository username... which had a space in it......i realized my mistake after i had too look where and what to save it......i was hoping the space would make a difference......
if you must, everytime you go to it, you have to replace spaces with a +, %20, or just a \ in front of the space
you do realize that file names can't contain any of the characters "\, /, :, *, ?, ", <, >, and |"?

also if windows shouldn't have spaces in file names, why are there default files with them in them?
(ie. My Downloads, My Music, My Pictures, My Videos, My Documents, Program Files, and Documents and Settings)

and game type files
(ie. Armagetron Advanced and Armagetron Advanced Dedicated)

anyway, i get what your saying..... i need my file name and resource user name to be one of these:
'CrazyGold'
'Crazy-Gold'
'Crazy_Gold'

If someone would 'OK' or takeout the space in my account name, that would be much appreciated :)
ivantis
Round Winner

Post by ivantis »

no, filenames cannot contain those characters, but when calling the file you must use them.
Crazy
Core Dumper

Post by Crazy »

ah, yes i see what you mean now.......

anyway, it's a waiting game now, till someone with enough power comes along.......

*crickets and jeopardy music....*...
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

Crazy wrote:you do realize that file names can't contain any of the characters "\, /, :, *, ?, ", <, >, and |"?
hell, what can this be then ?!

ivantis
Round Winner

Post by ivantis »

they can contain those characters, but they must be escaped when called for
Crazy
Core Dumper

Post by Crazy »

epsy wrote:
Crazy wrote:you do realize that file names can't contain any of the characters "\, /, :, *, ?, ", <, >, and |"?
hell, what can this be then ?!

is that on windows? because that's the system i'm using, and so, the system we're talking about ;)
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

Crazy wrote:is that on windows?
well, you will tell me when windows will show a correct mime type on a file without a dot in it :)
ivantis
Round Winner

Post by ivantis »

windows is too faggy to understand the beginning of a file instead of the end of the filename after a dot
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

The *powers that be*, as far as that's me, don't see a problem in spaces in resource filenames. They're a bit annoying (they have to be escaped, as has been said), but otherwise fine. The problem is, however, that Arma would need to do the escaping when it passes the download URL to libxml; it doesn't currently do that, so resource downloads with spaces in it will not work. We can try to work around that, but I can't see a way to lift the "no spaces and other queer characters in resource filenames" rule while 0.2.8.2.1 is in widespread use.
ivantis
Round Winner

Post by ivantis »

well, if you really really need those spaces (religious purposes), then you can make a page that reads or redirects to it, and use that as the map_file.