server version 3.0 lagging?

Post here if you need help setting up your server, etc.
zoidberg
On Lightcycle Grid

server version 3.0 lagging?

Post by zoidberg »

Hey all,
So wild west recently upgraded some of its servers to 3.0 and since then we've had considerable lag on them. I'm really not sure of the source but I thought I'd post here and see if any of you awesome dev's have noticed slower data transmission in the newer version or something.
Thanks.

-Z
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

Unless you intend to use zonesv2 there is absolutely no reason to use 0.3. It doesn't have any new features on the server side, just more bugs probably.

If you want to be cutting edge use a 0.2.8.3 snapshot, which actually gives you new features and needs testing before the final can be released.
There's no place like ::1
rafalcieslak
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by rafalcieslak »

Sometimes I host a server for my friends, and when we started to use 3.0, the whole game was lagging a bit, but if I had older server version, and the clients were 3.0, everything was perfect again. I agree it is a 3.0 bug, but, well... the game was still playable and worked well, and IMHO it is not a real problem, just a little larger lag. But maybe I didn't noticed the difference because my ping is always really big :wink:

If there are no new features in server v.3.0, I'll wait for stable version :) yeah, it hangs somitimes.
use the source...
[system]
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by [system] »

Wait, so if you're hosting a 3.0 server, it will be laggier than any other?
http://www.soldiers-of-sin.piczo.comhttp://www.myspace.com/djsystemttl † [- ¡DF! >>>>>>>>>>SOS<<<<<<<<<< !DF¡ -] †
rafalcieslak
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by rafalcieslak »

In my case it was lagger, but just a but.
use the source...
[system]
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by [system] »

Hmm, because that might be the case, I'm running a 3.0 server and it's really laggy.
http://www.soldiers-of-sin.piczo.comhttp://www.myspace.com/djsystemttl † [- ¡DF! >>>>>>>>>>SOS<<<<<<<<<< !DF¡ -] †
zoidberg
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by zoidberg »

by raf's comment it sounds like it's a minor issue between the 3.0 server and a 2.8 client. It was updated to 3.0 for various reasons, one was the awesome addition of including IP addy's in the /players list for a logged in user, it really helps us identify unwanted and bad players. Plus it offers milder alternatives to kicking such as renaming and slapping, which is both fun and nice :).

Cool, thanks guys, it looks like we've identified some of the problem so I'll have something worthwhile to say to people when they ask, other than "move to the city where your connection will be better" :)
-Z
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

A couple of people have been saying to me that they think that latest/recent 0.2.8_alpha servers lag more than 0.2.8.2.1 or older servers. I told them that I seriously doubt that this could be true. IIRC the network code has not been changed for a start. Could a developer or someone in the know please enlighten me on this and whether there are new features that actually cause noticable lag (I would be surprised). How different are latest 0.2.8_alpha servers to 0.2.8.2.1 or older servers?
Playing since December 2006
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

There is new code dealing with lag. Specifically, it moves lag around. It transforms lag slides (arguably the most annoying manifestation of lag) into other forms. Lag slides are, to a certain extent, transformed into regular lag for *other players*. Those other players are probably the ones doing the complaining. At least, that's the theory I'm sticking to unless proof to the contrary surfaces, or at least more specific information so I can start looking for evidence myself. "more lag" just is too foggy. I'd need at least the manifestation form. Lag slides? Cycles jumping into your face out of nowhere? Lost input? Cycles taking wrong turns?

The recent alpha clients will be nice about it and transform the lag for other players back into lag for the player causing it.