Highly experimental windows builds

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

"Browse all Files" is the key. It's a bit hidden, but leads to this: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=195927
0.3.0 is at the bottom.

Of course, we'd like to get to the bottom of your inexplicable lag. As you know, there are many kinds of lag, to determine which one you have, please send a debug recording.
AdyLucifer
Average Program

Post by AdyLucifer »

I've uploaded a video about it,where u can see the FPS on online games,and FPs on local game,and i also dont get to understand why arma gives me 30 fps while bioshock gives me the double of them...
My processor is a P4 3.2Ghz HT
GPU- x1650Pro
It worked fine until recently,about 1,1 1/2 months ago,or less than that,then it started to dwop fps.
I doubt that its a hardware problem,as its the same as it was 3 yrs ago and it gives me no problems on other Apps.
Thanks in advance.
http://freewebtown.com/woof/var/debugrec.zip
The death is so sure of its victory,that it gives us a whole life to try escape.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

That's nice, but it doesn't really help :) I was refering to our debug recordings: http://wiki.armagetronad.net/index.php? ... _Recording

It would be useful to have one from the current version and one from the last version without these problems.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Oh wait, that driver version of yours is old; it's 6.14, current is 8.2 according to ATI's download site. Old drivers for Vista are known to not properly support OpenGL, which is what we're using.

Also, please experiment with the Performance Tweaks setting "Display Lists". That's the one rendering related thing that changed from 0.2.8.2.1 to the current alphas.
AdyLucifer
Average Program

Post by AdyLucifer »

Driver Packaging Version 8.471-080225a1-059746C-ATI
Catalyst® Version 08.3
Provider ATI Technologies Inc.
2D Driver Version 6.14.10.6783
2D Driver File Path System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Video/{01DFD479-9682-4747-B2F8-E001E5E41D87}/0000
Direct3D Version 6.14.10.0567
OpenGL Version 6.14.10.7412
Catalyst® Control Center Version 2008.0225.2153.39091

Thats not the problem--> and my XP theme is quite good huh? Hehehe, i wont install Vista,its too heavy,instead XP with vista Appeareance is nice. ;).

I've been recording and found out another strange thing.
On cafe->60 fps
5 min later on Team sumo -20 fps
Back to cafe -> 60 FPS

Maybe its a server related issue?Maybe the clients are just fine,but the strangest thing is that yday i had 20 fps on X team sumo, and i asked Dez,who said he had 150 FPS.Wheres the logic?
Attachments
sumo.zip
(288.26 KiB) Downloaded 227 times
cafe.zip
(202.96 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
The death is so sure of its victory,that it gives us a whole life to try escape.
Ricochet
Round Winner

Post by Ricochet »

well considering that x sumo and cafe are on exactly the same server...
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

And they run off the same binary…
Note that there are usually more wall segments on sumo than on fortress, simply because noone goes straight for more than one second without turning.
There's no place like ::1
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Yep, also note that at least one server out there (Wildcat) is running a version that triggers the clientside grid virus bug, causing huge performance losses for 0.2.8.2.1 and 0.3.0.

AdyLucifer: Please be precise with your versions. You reported performace problems with wrtl's latest builds, the video you posted shows some 0.2.8.2.1, and the debug recordings are from 0.3.0. So are now all versions affected? If so, something about your system has changed. Maybe you adapted your OpenGL options; extreme AA or anisotropic filtering can slow down rendering.
AdyLucifer
Average Program

Post by AdyLucifer »

Well the video i dont remember what it was, but it was the latest 2.8.2.1 or the latest 0.3

The debug records are from 0.3.0 both.
Iif its not my GPU,it could be the server settings,but its not logical either, when i found out that disabling wall textures increases the fps by 20-50%,although its harmful for my eyes, the white walls, so i cant keep them like that for long.
GPU problem??Maybe its not compatible? With arma, because with the rest it works.I got AA And AF disabled.All is running at maximum speed,graphic accel is at max.
AdyLucifer
Average Program

Post by AdyLucifer »

forgot to say that the settings were equal on both 0.3.0,normal settings, and on 2.8.2.1 they were on the lowest value.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Yeah, I know what versions the recordings/videos are from, but the question was whether your problems affect all of them.
AdyLucifer wrote:when i found out that disabling wall textures increases the fps by 20-50%
Aha. There is no reason at all this should happen, ever since the early days of 3d cards, texturing has absolutely no speed penalty. I'd attempt a driver reinstallation at this point.
AdyLucifer
Average Program

Post by AdyLucifer »

Z-Man wrote: I'd attempt a driver reinstallation at this point.
I did it yesterday,no changes,but now i can play smoothly on cafe and CTWF,altho using the 0.3.0.
And yes, it affects all versions,but since i installed 0.3.0 i can play normal on some servers,anyways i think its some uncompatibility problem, not a bug in the clients.If i cant solve it, i'll have to live with it,..and i'll enter the matrix--arma slow-mo mode :).

P.D. Sometimes on CTWF, on one simple map,with no many irregular walls,90º walls, i get 60-70 fps, then on some other maps where there are round corners i get 20.Im not sure its because of that,but its still strange.
AdyLucifer
Average Program

Post by AdyLucifer »

It was the V-Sync....
The earlier versions didnt show the option to turn it off,but the latest one did,after i re-downloaded it.
And the thing about the FPS difference on the servers is because of their real Quality,Team sumo server gets really short on power with 14 players in,that was the main reason.
Thanks anyways for all the support and interest you've shown :).
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Odd, the option is only available in the most recent 0.3 versions, so it cannot possibly affect the 0.2.8 trouble you had. Maybe the system wide setting also was changed?
AdyLucifer
Average Program

Post by AdyLucifer »

Z-Man wrote:Odd, the option is only available in the most recent 0.3 versions, so it cannot possibly affect the 0.2.8 trouble you had. Maybe the system wide setting also was changed?
Nope,just in-game