Q: How to download

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Black Clover(O)
On Lightcycle Grid

Q: How to download

Post by Black Clover(O) »

If this is somewhere else then delete it please. I couldn't find it. I was wondering how you download textures/sounds/maps from websites into the folders once you visit the server. Or does it just do it automatically? Also, is it possible to change the font as in font_type http://www.font.com/arial.ttf? Or the ability to add music?
http://cobragaminguniverse.i8.com/
More about the Clover:
http://blackclover-original.deviantart.com/

Being the noob isn't bad as long as you're the best noob =D.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: Q: How to download

Post by Z-Man »

Black Clover(O) wrote:I was wondering how you download textures/sounds/maps from websites into the folders once you visit the server. Or does it just do it automatically?
Only maps are currently downloaded automatically; to play a map, you just have to set MAP_FILE accordingly. Details are here: http://wiki.armagetronad.net/index.php? ... aying_Maps

Textures and sounds need to be downloaded manually, and you currently have to overwrite the original textures and sounds that came with the game. Exceptions are moviepacks, which can reside in a directory called "moviepack" alongside the "textures" and "sound" game data directories. That's documented here:
http://wiki.armagetronad.net/index.php? ... g_the_game
Black Clover(O) wrote:Also, is it possible to change the font as in font_type http://www.font.com/arial.ttf?
Yes, provided you're using 0.3.0 or later. Download the font into the "textures" data folder and add this to your configuration:

Code: Select all

FONT_FILE arial.ttf
That changes the globally used font. Fonts used in cockpit files can differ from that, AFAIK.
Black Clover(O) wrote:Or the ability to add music?
Yep, it's documented here: http://wiki.armagetronad.net/index.php? ... und_Engine

FONT_FILE and the other new font configuration items are not properly documented, by the way, could we get that fixed, preferably by someone who knows what they're supposed to do :) ?
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Q: How to download

Post by wrtlprnft »

Z-Man wrote:FONT_FILE and the other new font configuration items are not properly documented, by the way, could we get that fixed, preferably by someone who knows what they're supposed to do :) ?
That's because they're somewhat temporary. There should be a more fine-grained control so you can use different fonts for different jobs.

FONT_TYPE is quite obsolete, too. Only texture fonts really make sense.
There's no place like ::1
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Fine grained control like making the console a cockpit widget? Carry on, then.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Don't forget the css for the ui! ;)

Hey, totally offtopic, anybody know of any common household material I can use to contain a circuit I just finished? I ran it on the breadboard and wrote a little code, now I want to put it on a prototype board, put it in an enclosure, and write a little more code. But I don't want to go down and buy a prototype board, so what can I use instead?

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Fonkay
Match Winner

Post by Fonkay »

An old book? Although I'm not sure I completely understand the question. :|
This post does not come with any form of Warranty or Return Policy.
If you're unhappy with this post, please feel free to suck it up and move on.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Fonkay wrote:An old book? Although I'm not sure I completely understand the question. :|
I was thinking paper products would be a fire hazard since the circuit has the full 110V AC mains power on it. PCB's are made out of epoxy. So, I think you understand the question. ;)

I wound up going to Radio Hack and picking up a board down there, since it was both closer and cheaper, and I could get one sized for the application (Frye's only has a big board for $13 that you have to cut, Radio Hack had a selection of sizes and I picked one that only costed $1.99).

- Iron Maiden
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Soo, what's the secret application you're working at?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Oh yeah, heh. It's a PC-controlled light switch. I was going to add controlling the light switch to my alarm clock, but have decided instead to make a cronjob for it. If it had turned into the dimmer I was aiming for, I would still do the work in the alarm clock to make it a full dawn simulation.

It's a stepping stone, trying to pick up a solid core of basic electronics and software/hardware interfacing that will be needed to build a robot, and trying to do productive work along the way.

- Iron Maiden
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

Neat lucifer!

I've also made my own version of the Philips Wake-up lamp, but quite simpler.

I connected a lamp with a full-spectrum (or natural light, or what ever it is called when it isn't the good old orange-ish light bulbs) light bulb to a timer.

Not as fancy as the Wake-up lamp, but quite cheaper too (1500 swedish crowns for the Wake-up lamp, 89 crowns for 2 timers, and I had the rest available), but it does the job quite fine, helping me wake up by turning on the lamp half an hour before my alarm clock start to play.

Good luck!

/ph
Canis meus id comedit.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Heh, my wife pointed out that I could have just done the same thing as you've done if all I wanted was a timer on a light. But for the goals I was after, your solution wouldn't work. ;)

Does the light make a difference for you in waking up?

- Iron Maiden
Fonkay
Match Winner

Post by Fonkay »

No way a light would help me wake up. I barely wake up to my alarm.
Mine can go off for a full 5-10 mins before I wake up and notice it. Well.. until now, where the boyfriend will poke and shove me 'til I get up. Which must be a pain, since my alarm usually goes off at 5am.
This post does not come with any form of Warranty or Return Policy.
If you're unhappy with this post, please feel free to suck it up and move on.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Maybe you outta try it, eh? The motivation for going to a light, even though I don't think the light itself will help, is because light therapies of varying kinds are used to treat various sleep disorders. For me, without seeking professional help (uninsured american and all), it seems most likely that I've got that delayed clock thing going, where 10am to me is roughly equivalent to 6am to a well-adjusted individual. Light therapies are used to treat such a thing, so I figured it was worth a try. I wanted something that pretended to be a sunrise, though.

Anyway, the idea is that the day/night cycle plays a role in your body setting it's internal clock. So when someone has this delayed clock thing, some sort of artificial alteration of the day/night cycle can be a somewhat effective treatment. The therapies I've seen come in two varieties. This is one of them, kick on a light in the morning before your regular alarm clock goes off. The other is to sit in front of a blue light for half an hour every morning. You need a prescription to get the blue light treatment, and without having a professional to work this out with (maybe I really am lazy? ;) ), I'm stuck with anything I can do myself. Besides which I wouldn't sit in front of a blue light for half an hour every morning anyway.

So the idea then is that it's easy to hit the snooze button and fall back asleep when your room is dark because your body thinks it's still night time. For various reasons, my room is pretty dark anyway. So if you kick on a light before the alarm goes off, then as soon as your eyes open, it's daylight! The snooze thing is an example, it's reputed to work (when it works) for the first ring of the alarm, and it takes time because the effectiveness is cumulative. So it may not work at all for several weeks, but after several months, I may find myself able to get out of bed before 10am consistently and regularly. For me, sleeping through my alarm for 5 minutes is an attentive, alert morning. :) I've literally slept through hours of raging metal.

The alarm clock is supposed to reach a point where it tracks my sleeping habits. A big part of figuring out what to do is to determine what's actually happening. I don't *think* I stay up past 3am very often, but what if I really do and I just don't notice? (The self-serving bias you may have heard about) Better yet, what songs are working this week to wake me up? I adapt to the sounds used, and some I can never use again. Rather than take the chance that I will adapt to a given song tonight and it'll go off tomorrow, I'd like the alarm to intelligently pick a song based on how quickly I got out of bed for the songs it's tried, and try different songs on days known to be safe (like weekends, and other days when my wife will be home all morning). Anyway, it's not that far yet. Had this turned into a real dimmer circuit, I would have ported my alarm clock to pyqt4 and updated it to use sqlite to store its information, and then I could at least get a good collection of data going, and defer acting on that data for a later date when I can actually look at it and determine what action makes sense.

So I guess the upshot is, I'm expecting the light to help, but I'm not expecting its help to be obvious or immediate. I'm also short a lamp to actually run on it. I used my son's bedroom lamp to test it, and I have to give that back to him tonight and haven't gotten a replacement for it yet.

- Iron Maiden
sol
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by sol »

gee Lucifer... you just have too much time but ya - I have the same problem every morning. might consider your measures...
Black Clover(O)
On Lightcycle Grid

So

Post by Black Clover(O) »

You waste all of the money just for a light switch? Btw, how many steps/feet is it from your cpu to the light switch? Just wondering. Good idea though, and tyvm Z-Man
http://cobragaminguniverse.i8.com/
More about the Clover:
http://blackclover-original.deviantart.com/

Being the noob isn't bad as long as you're the best noob =D.