using armabell map editor

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
Crazy
Core Dumper

using armabell map editor

Post by Crazy »

i am making some cool arma maps on armabell,

what do i do to make this map usable in armagetron?
where and what do i have to save it?
and about the resource repository?

i want to make my map on my comp and have the map usable on a mac comp at school when hosting a LAN game, is this possible?
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

First of all, there is some information on the wiki about map making

wiki.armagetronad.net

Go to the "miscalleneous" section, then the "Extending Armagetron Advanced" category. The link labeled "Map Making" should be a good source of information about all things map related.

I have no idea where armabell save its files, but for you to be able to play them, they need to be under the "resources" directory in your armagetron directory. In this resource directory, it should be in a format similar to <Author>/<category>/<map name>-<version>.aaxml (i'm typing this from memory, there will be some errors. Refer to the wiki for exact format). The values are determined from the fields on the map.

To allow other players to have access to your maps, you can either manually install them on all the computers (long and boring), or you can put them on the resource repository (fun and exciting) for everybody to be able to access.

You will need to follow the instructions here for that http://wiki.armagetronad.net/index.php? ... repository

When informed about the name of the map to use, the clients will attemp to download it from the resource repository if it doesn't have a copy.

/ph
Canis meus id comedit.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Try searching here for armabell. One of the last threads to mention it addressed some of these problems with recent map compatibility.
Crazy
Core Dumper

Post by Crazy »

Tank: i tried searching for it, but couldn't find it, could you get me a link to this?you know what topic it is and what it looks like so your more likely to spot it than i am=(

philiqqeqc:armabell saves it's files where ever you want it to be=P

wiki says:

Where do I need to save it
* Windows — C:\Program Files\Armagetron Advanced\resource\author\category

where do i get author and category from though?

and save it as
author/category/name-version.type.xml
example:
author/category/name-0.0.0.aamap.xml

where type, name, version, author and category must match those stated in the resource:
<Resource type="..." name="..." version="..." author="..." category="...">

so where do i get name, author, category, and version from?

and i have absolutely no idea about getting it in the resource repository....=(

any more help?

and probably the most helpful part of the wiki(to help me atm)

" Using ArmaBell's MapEditor

TODO"
......why is it the most useful parts of things aren't completed?

if i hadn't copied alot of what to do into word month ago, i wouldn't even have all i did there, someones messing arma wiki up, and making it even more confusing for people like me.

can someone that uses armabell just tell me what to do after i've made a map(starting before save)?

or even better yet, is there a full tutorial on how to use armabell map editor, and get maps on resource repository and all that?
philippeqc

Post by philippeqc »

Crazy wrote:where type, name, version, author and category must match those stated in the resource:
<Resource type="..." name="..." version="..." author="..." category="...">

so where do i get name, author, category, and version from?
author: you, so use your real name (probably a bad idea) or your forum name (probably a good idea)

category: a free text. Use it to categorize you maps. If you are making a fortress map, fortress could be an adequate category.

name: the name of the map you are making. For example I'm working on a fortress-style map that will allow massive re-spawn in which people will probably have to try to press an advantage at the expense of their light cycle life, a meat-grinder of sort. So I choose to name it "HamburgerHill".

version: If and when you make changes to a map, you need to update this value so clients will be able to receive the latest file. You'll probably win by keeping this simple. So "1" for the first release of the file, "2" for the second, etc... Don't be afraid to reach high numbers, it actually mean you are hard at work and care enough of your own product to revise them over and over. This need to be changed only when you publish/distribute a changed file.

On the 32rd release of my HamburgerHill map, the header in the file would be:
<Resource type="aamap" name="HamburgerHill" version="32" author="philippeqc" category="fortress">

/ph
Canis meus id comedit.
Crazy
Core Dumper

Post by Crazy »

so if i had these values:

<Resource type="aamap" name="example" version="1" author="Crazy" category="Rubber">

i would save it as:

Crazy/Rubber/example-1.aamap.xml

?
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

No, you shouldn't save "rubber" stuff at all. But the path looks about right.
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

use lms(last man standing) instead :)
Crazy
Core Dumper

Post by Crazy »

why shouldn't i use rubber?

i see in resource people have them in catagories like rubber......
how about if i catagorized it as regular or normal, or something simple like thoses?

also i see resource has version as 0.0.1 and numbers like that, does it matter if it's like that or just 1?
philippeqc

Post by philippeqc »

Crazy wrote:also i see resource has version as 0.0.1 and numbers like that, does it matter if it's like that or just 1?
No, it doesn't!

The game only understanding of version is "do I have this exact version that the server asked?". Yes, it uses it, No, it attempts to download it.

There is no ordering what-so-ever as far at the game is concerned.

I personally was quite a fan of complex version number schemes. Then I realised that my maps didn't required it. So now I use single letters. I think I actually have a map that now managed to reach 'e'.

That said, feel free to use the name of the cast of Disney's Pokahontas as they appear on the screen, the order of the constellations as they ascended into Pisa's sky on that night of the 13 March 1823, or any other scheme you feel relevant.

But I'll save my few precious remaining neurons, and keep it simple, because in the end, it really doesn't matter.

;)

/ph
Canis meus id comedit.
Crazy
Core Dumper

Post by Crazy »

ok, thanks=)

sounds good, i'll have to get some of my maps out to be tested soon=D