seeing dedicated

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
Crazy
Core Dumper

seeing dedicated

Post by Crazy »

i have made a dedicated server and i try putting it online, i can see the server but no one else can=(

help?

how can i make people see it?(and be able to play on it)
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Check out this:
http://wiki.armagetronad.net/index.php? ... our_Server
especially the links that lead to port forwarding help. Not properly set up forwarding is the most probable reason others can't see your server.
Crazy
Core Dumper

Post by Crazy »

ok thanks, turns out im not allowed to port forward from this comp so....

are there any alternatives to portforwarding?
also what does portforwarding do?
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

The basic idea is that if you need port forwarding, you can't be reached from the outside (such as by people trying to join) without it.

More technical: there's probably a NAT (network address translation) router between you and the internet. That router usually keeps only one outside address but uses some trickery to allow multiple addresses from the inside to connect to the outside, and get responses back. But when a connection is made from the outside, it's not clear to which internal address it should go, so it fails. When you forward a port on the router you tell it that when something is sent to that port, it should be forwarded to a certain address on the inside. If you don't know what a port is, see it as one of several mailboxes in a computer.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Crazy wrote:are there any alternatives to portforwarding?
Only one: run the server outside of your current network.
Crazy
Core Dumper

Post by Crazy »

z-man: and where exactly would this be?
there's tons outside of my network(i think)
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

Crazy wrote:ok thanks, turns out im not allowed to port forward from this comp so....
not allowed is such a strange sentence because it doesnt tell us much of the context.

Is it because you don't have ownership of the firewall (such as the one at your school) or because the person owning the firewall (a parent, a neighborg, etc) doesn't know about the technology and doesn't want to enable it?
also what does port forwarding do?
http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopi ... 685#193685
Feel free to expand on my modest descriptions (read both texts!) with your own research.
Crazy wrote:
Z-man wrote:
Crazy wrote: wrote: are there any alternatives to port forwarding?
Only one: run the server outside of your current network.
z-man: and where exactly would this be?
there's tons outside of my network(i think)
Same discussion, different words:
Crazy: I'm not allowed to run a post-order(*) company from my bedroom/my school, is there some alternative.
Z-man: There are lots of commercial space available for rental in the whole wide world. Look into that, probably starting by the community where you live, and then the state/province, etc. But I cannot tell you more without knowing the specifics. (**)
Crazy: Where exactly is such a commercial space? Do you have a specific location to give me?

Crazy, that meant pretty much any and every computer connected to Internet, either directly or behind a firewall which the administrator are willing to configure the forwarding of the ports required.

So you have 2 choices, find a friend to host for you, or pay someone for that. Companies selling game server space are few, so be prepared to do some research and lay some green.
Luke-jr runs such a service, you might consider using it http://lightfoot.dashjr.org

That said, I will reiterate one thing. Do read about port forwarding. It could prove to be a low cost alternative, or at least let you understand the situation.

/ph

* deliberate but unimportant word choice. Read about port forwarding.
** text slightly expanded
Canis meus id comedit.
Crazy
Core Dumper

Post by Crazy »

oh you mean't outside as in have someone else host, sry misunderstanding on my behalf.

as it happens, i had luke running a server, then i ran out of money and started making the server on my comp, that's why i made this topic, to help find a way around using other servers...

oh well, i might host my own server later, but until then, i'll stick with playing at others servers.=)