Hell Moviepack discussion

Mmmm... What's cookin in the kitchen?

Moderator: Lucifer

Lucifer
Project Developer

Hell Moviepack discussion

Post by Lucifer »

Ok, here we are.

Mom's screenshot comes really close with the fire and points something else out. That model he asked for that Supertard built is pretty close. If you change it to use wood-like textures, and then stick a flag or something on it for the player's color, turn the wheels into steamboat like flippers, sink it (so part of the flippers go through the floor), you'll wind up close.

Or remove the wheels entirely so it floats in the air, and add some sort of exhaust on the back.

The fire is very very very close. A gasoline or oil fire has a space at the very bottom that's clear, then blue, then red, then yellow, then black. Becuase of the heat, the first part of the flame isn't in the visible color spectrum, and the first parts of the flame that are in the visible color spectrum are blue. You might be able to work some magic with the alpha channel to make it look like there are heat waves on it. To make it less boxy, the white line at the top should be moved to the bottom.

The water is pretty far off, I think. It's hard to tell if it's the moviepack blue floor bug or not. Did you install the moviepack that fixed the blue floor bug, mom? The only thing I'm coming up with for how I'd like the water to be is a game for the PS2, and I don't even remember what it was called. Soulstealer? The one where you're playing the vampire that got reincarnated as something that eats souls instead of blood, immortal and everything, and you're trying to kill Caine, I think it was. The water in that game is just about what I'm wanting (may not be possible with this game as it is now).
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

umm hows this look then?
Attachments
walls on fire.JPG
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Your_mom wrote:umm hows this look then?
Ooo, closer closer. :) Less blue, and brighter, I think. Like a cigarette lighter, but bigger. ;)
SuPeRTaRD
Round Winner

Post by SuPeRTaRD »

thats looking cool.

remember i'll make ya a boat or whatever, just show me what kind..
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

SuPeRTaRD wrote:thats looking cool.

remember i'll make ya a boat or whatever, just show me what kind..
Hmmm, I posted in the other thread before making this one that the model you made for your mommy is very close to a skiff, just pull the wheels and the front landers off and throw some wood textures on it. And a rocket or exhaust or something on the back, you know, a jet of some sort that makes sense for the fire to come out. Elevated a little bit above the grid somehow. :)
nicolas.b
Grid Clown
Location: west philly Quotation: "Everybody's stuck being a moderator, but me. Sweet!"

Re: Hell Moviepack discussion

Post by nicolas.b »

Lucifer wrote:Mom's screenshot comes really close with the fire and points something else out. That model he asked for that Supertard built is pretty close. If you change it to use wood-like textures, and then stick a flag or something on it for the player's color, turn the wheels into steamboat like flippers, sink it (so part of the flippers go through the floor), you'll wind up close.
what SS? (i don't ready every thread- even by people who take the devil's name in vain)
Lucifer
Project Developer

Re: Hell Moviepack discussion

Post by Lucifer »

nicolas.b wrote: what SS? (i don't ready every thread- even by people who take the devil's name in vain)
Hmm, it's in Supertard's request thread, I think. Sorry. The one in this thread shows the same thing, but with more recent pics. ;)
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

well luci i was finishing up a new lighter flame wall and then decided to toss in some bot take a look at this. Dunno if its how i colored it or if the other ones i made would look like this with darker colored cycle walls, i think the last one i made the colors didnt get "as" distorted after playing with that for a while. Tell me if you want me to post the png's for your own personal testing or if you want me to pm them to you if you dont want people to get them before you officialy release the movie pack or tell me any ideas for me to make a new skin.

edit heres a screenshot of what i have so far
Attachments
screen shot.JPG
unique i think but on my white tail the red almost looks pink heh mabey i tried to make the red a litlle to 'light'
unique i think but on my white tail the red almost looks pink heh mabey i tried to make the red a litlle to 'light'
Last edited by Your_mom on Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Your_mom wrote:well luci i was finishing up a new lighter flame wall and then decided to toss in some bot take a look at this. Dunno if its how i colored it or if the other ones i made would look like this with darker colored cycle walls, i think the last one i made the colors didnt get "as" distorted after playing with that for a while. Tell me if you want me to post the png's for your own personal testing or if you want me to pm them to you if you dont want people to get them before you officialy release the movie pack or tell me any ideas for me to make a new skin.
Yeah, send it to me. :) I don't have a preference if you want to post it here or if you'd prefer to pm it to me. I tend to do any development of pretty much anything in the open.

Let's see, the moviepack will need a floor and grid walls still. I've been running Tard's cliff wall and it doesn't feel quite right, but I'll try it with this cycle wall and see how it goes.

The floor should be water, light blue, like the blue on the forums here only a little bluer. Enough ripple to look like convincing water, but otherwise still. It would be nice if I could put a pebble bed a few feet under the water, but I don't guess I can do that. :(

The sky needs a banded green and black combination. The green should be pretty sour and faded, and the black is, well, black. If you've ever read the Chronicles of Amber, the sky I'm wanting is like the sky at the Courts of Chaos. So big bands. If you could get some lightning in it, even better, but I imagine since it has to tile a little lightning could easily overdo it.

The grid wall should have battlements on it, I've decided. I think battlements against a black sky will probably go best to top the cliffs and mix with the banded sky. Rocky cliff. Man, the Cliffs of Insanity would be perfect if I could just get the mist out of the picture, leaving a nice clear cliff face. So grey stone. I'm thinking about building the cliffs in Blender.
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

ok here is the lighter flames and an attempt at the water again ideas/comments luci

only posted the last one i did if you want one of the other ones just ask me i'll post them

Edit-luci post the cliffs of insanity and i'll see if i can mabey tweak it to look better if i fail no harm done if i get it to look better then mabey you can use it?
Attachments
is it too dark? you can see where the edges are on it i could try to hide that a little better if you like this
is it too dark? you can see where the edges are on it i could try to hide that a little better if you like this
wateresque.JPG (11.38 KiB) Viewed 6492 times
lighter version
lighter version
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Here are the cliffs.
Attachments
rim_wallINSANITY.png
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

smacked it with some smog be gone heh i looked at it i think it turned out well ... either way luci what did you think of thewater tile i posted and the png no comment means good or bad?

edited - screenshot of what i have so far heh
Attachments
screen shot.JPG
rim_wallINSANITY2.png
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Your_mom wrote:smacked it with some smog be gone heh i looked at it i think it turned out well ... either way luci what did you think of thewater tile i posted and the png no comment means good or bad?
I looked for a water texture from you but didn't find one. Hrm. Supertard sent me one, and I plugged that in with his wall and your fire, and here's some screenshots.

The wavy stuff on top of the wall is stuff that I turned to alpha, to see what effect alpha had on the grid wall. Tard says he can do a better water. This water's very close to what I was thinking. It's kind of a torquoise water with sun reflecting off it, and the movement of the cycle is enough to give the right impression to the water. Sorry mom, your water's good water for ocean water (needs waves for that, though). How about brightening it towards a really light blue? The one tard sent is kind of bluish-green, and I'd like to see something that's more blue and less green and see what it looks like. ;)

Now I'm gonna start cracking on the cycle. I didn't expect this many pieces to appear at once. :) Thanks guys! This is awesome!
Attachments
That guy is Seeker, he's seeking apparently.
That guy is Seeker, he's seeking apparently.
screenshot_2.png
I'm the green guy you see, with egg all over the cycle it's pretty hard to steer.
I'm the green guy you see, with egg all over the cycle it's pretty hard to steer.
SuPeRTaRD
Round Winner

Post by SuPeRTaRD »

looks ok.. i guess

that water looks better than i thought it would.. i darkened it some

u can probably tweak its hue with some paint tool..

i de-saturated it & tried to make it lots darker, for .. you know.. hell

the tops of the cliffs look ok, like if'n the sky were black, that wouldnt look too bad..

i almost went looking at skiff boat pics on the www the other day.. but then i caught a case of the lazy's & dint

;p

---------
OH! i was thinking.. (may be too high poly) it would be cool to have an angel of death on the front of boat , in a hooded robe, with tall scythe, facing the rear of the boat.. blah.. but that was just a thought, the walls look too bright, imo

-------
found this:
http://www.donkey03.8k.com/photo.html
check out that boat, like 2nd row middle
would u like something like that?

i dont think they have paddlewheel boats in hell ;p

also, if you want a dood standing on the boat, just about any of those pics i could texture with, or any scythe styles, etc.

i was mostly thinking like the picture with caption "dead druids" one of those with a scythe.. we could make his eyes light the color of the cycle color, or just red..

referance pics own.
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

i figured out why the flames are so close together in lucis screenshot. He put the skin in the textures folder and he doesnt actually have the moviepack on(hes cheating the system lol) , So the skin maps differently in that folder because the skin for the wall dir is much smaller in the texture folder it scrunches up the moviepack flames, this would wourk in reverse like say you put the original texture for the player wall into the moviepack directory the line stretches out. Just relized this and thought i would explain what happened. This is mainly for anyone who thought that luci changed my skin or got a different copy somehow. Also Jon` and me where having a discussion about this on the grid otherwise i may not have even seen what had happened.