Armagetron, a 2-D or 3-D game?

Anything about how you get those awesome core-dumps, or why you don't get them...
2b|!2b?
On Lightcycle Grid

Armagetron, a 2-D or 3-D game?

Post by 2b|!2b? »

A few of us were playing last week and someone mentioned that armagetron was a 3-D game. I contend it is a 2-D game: we play on a flat grid. The camera can float on the z-plane, true enough, but the fight happen on the x & y-planes. I have never seen a bike jump over a wall (and that could be an interesting version to have!)
An analog analogy is chess: is chess a 3-D game just because you can move a piece by lifting it and because you can view the game from above? Surely not.
Anyways, I'm open to read opinions from the 3-D claimants as to how they see this game as a 3-dimensional one.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

I'd say 2D I guess, because I agree with your point.
klax
Project Developer

Post by klax »

2D game concept with a 3D visualization
ishAdmin
Match Winner

Post by ishAdmin »

I think it has a third dimension, just not one we can see. How else do you 'splain all that warping and sliding. I tells ya, that third dimension is a rocky one.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

lol, nice one ish
iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

Post by iceman »

hehe ish
________

we needs cubeygetron for true 3d but the low fps with all those walls :lol:
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif
RUDEBOY!
Match Winner

Post by RUDEBOY! »

klax wrote:2D game concept with a 3D visualization
I agree with this. Anyone remember the light cycle arcade game in the movie. Its just a 2D above view game and since Armagetron is based on the light cycle scene which is based on the light cycle arcade game, it is a 3D representation of a 2D game.
root down
Round Winner

Post by root down »

x - check
y - check
z - check
i see 3 dimensions!
stakes is high
RUDEBOY!
Match Winner

Post by RUDEBOY! »

But you cant move in the y.
root down
Round Winner

Post by root down »

but as far as you can see, it does exist.
stakes is high
ishAdmin
Match Winner

Post by ishAdmin »

do you remember that episide of the next generation, where the enterprise got 'stuck' in a sea of two dimentional creatures. They couldn't see it, until data launched a probe that let them see it from a higher perspective. (and they also had to blast it with the technobabble particles of the week to light it up). that particle world had two dimensions, eventhough they could be viewed in 3 dimensions.

no matter what we see, the world only functions in two dimensions. it's a 3d render of a 2d game surface.

i remember some 2d theoretical cartoon worlds that were created by scientist types with too much paycheck and not enough work. how do you flush a toilet in two dimensions without your world collapsing from lack of supports? If you have a downward gravity, we rely on 3 dimensions to hold stuff up.
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

doesnt time count as a dimension? if it does its definatly a 3dimensional game because time plays a part thus its viewed in the 4rth dimension. After all we live in 7nth dimensional hyperspace. im not kidding i think string theory proves my point.
nicolas.b
Grid Clown
Location: west philly Quotation: "Everybody's stuck being a moderator, but me. Sweet!"

Post by nicolas.b »

ishAdmin wrote:do you remember that episide of the next generation, where the enterprise got 'stuck' in a sea of two dimentional creatures. They couldn't see it, until data launched a probe that let them see it from a higher perspective. (and they also had to blast it with the technobabble particles of the week to light it up). that particle world had two dimensions, eventhough they could be viewed in 3 dimensions.
i could swear i've seen every next generation episode (for better or worse) yet don't remember that one. sounds like a tribute to the classic book "flatland" (i think that was the title) by edwin abbott.
llaffer2
Core Dumper

Post by llaffer2 »

RUDEBOY! wrote:But you cant move in the y.
Actually, you cannot move in the z-axis.
ishAdmin
Match Winner

Post by ishAdmin »

nicolas.b wrote:
ishAdmin wrote:do you remember that episide of the next generation, where the enterprise got 'stuck' in a sea of two dimentional creatures. They couldn't see it, until data launched a probe that let them see it from a higher perspective. (and they also had to blast it with the technobabble particles of the week to light it up). that particle world had two dimensions, eventhough they could be viewed in 3 dimensions.
i could swear i've seen every next generation episode (for better or worse) yet don't remember that one. sounds like a tribute to the classic book "flatland" (i think that was the title) by edwin abbott.
While they were stuck in the two dimensional particle plane, they were slowly being pulled towards a black hole or something. Also Troi lost her empathic powers, and was a bit of a baby about it. When they got 'unstuck', she got her powers back.

Here, you can buy the episode from amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/custom ... oding=UTF8