Armagetron Bot 0.2

Something else for Armagetron? Goody!

Do you want me to release a full version?

Poll ended at Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:06 am

Yes, this is cool!
No votes
Maybe...
No votes
Nah, it sucks.
100%

Total votes: 3

Flash

Armagetron Bot 0.2

Post by Flash »

I have created a bot for AA that allows super fast turns and two special tricks. You can download the demo from the attatchment at the bottom of this post. I assure you it's clean, but it would be nice if somebody posted their virus scan results here for everyone to see. Right now, it's only in beta/demo with a 120 second time limit. I will add the full version if it's in high demand.

Instructions
A - Does a 180 spin to the left.
D - Does a 180 spin to the right.
Shift + A - Does a special 180 spin to the left. (If it's a 4 axes arena, it would be like pressing [left, left, left, right])
Shift + D - Does a special 180 spin to the right.
Attachments
Armagetron Bot.zip
Armagetron Bot v0.2D
(4.92 KiB) Downloaded 901 times
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Just in case anyone reads your post and gets upset about no source code… this program is not a derivitive work of the AA source code. It is a separate program.

Basically, you created a macro program. If you run Mac OS X, check out Quickeys for a similar program.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Um, we can still be upset about no source code, can't we? If a program that plays the game for you was worth having, anyway...

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

Or autohotkey for windows.
I played around with this one a little while back, created a routine that sent my cycle in an infinite loop within the fortress zone. Fun for local play, but didn't work too well in online play.
Easy to set up your own hotkeys without a 120 second limit!?
These can then be bundled as an exe to distribute, but source code couldn't be if done this way. But, autohotkey macro's are simple text files that can.

Double binding is one thing , but when I used it, it felt like I was in some way cheating. Didn't use it enough to guage whether it actually improved my game or not.
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

Hi Flash and welcome to the forums!

Nice idea to improve upon the game we all like!

I find it a bit funny, as by the way you made it clearly shows that you come from a pure MS-Windows background. First it is a binary distribution only, no source code for us to see how nicely you coded it and learn from it, second it has a lock on it, third you post it mentioning the risk of virus and asking other to use virus scans on it, while I think there are still less than 20 known Linux virus (or at least, less total know virus than the number that appear for windows in a month), fifth you will only make a full version after request rather than before, sixth, you didnt seem to think to mention is was a windows only download.

Yeah, quite some points to reflect on, none that are accusations. Many of us went throught that stage.

Might I suggest some other approach. You have access to the source code for the whole game, why not try to have a look in it, and maybe publish a patch of the required modifications for your fix. This would allow players of the game on all platform (Mac, xBSD, Linux and Windows) to enjoy it!

Keep on the good work, we always need new contributions!

/ph
Canis meus id comedit.
Flash

Post by Flash »

I'm only experienced with windows so I'm sorry that I can't release this for Mac and Linux users. However, this was simply an experiement to see if you all want this released. This does work in online multiplayer to some extent. (I don't understand how servers set the number of axes without using arena_axes option. If anybody knows another way, I can fix this bot to work with that.)

Also, I requested somebody to post a virus scan to build trust that this is in fact NOT a virus.

p.s. I don't think that autokey works for armagetron. AA deals with keystrokes in a weird way than normal key codes. The virtual key code "VK_LEFT" should be the left arrow key when it is in fact, the letter K. If I release the full version there isn't a 120 second time limit :P
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Flash wrote: Also, I requested somebody to post a virus scan to build trust that this is in fact NOT a virus.
Best way to build that trust is to release the source, too. :)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Flash

Post by Flash »

I may release it in the future, but not yet.
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

philippeqc wrote:Might I suggest some other approach. You have access to the source code for the whole game, why not try to have a look in it, and maybe publish a patch of the required modifications for your fix. This would allow players of the game on all platform (Mac, xBSD, Linux and Windows) to enjoy it!

Keep on the good work, we always need new contributions!

/ph
I will probably start looking into the code in 2008, I'll be taking a class on C++ right now my C++ is very limited(console apps).
philippeqc

Post by philippeqc »

It seems you didnt understand the essence of my previous message:
-You address it from a propreitary perspective, dictating us terms(windows only, some artificial restriction, no access to the code, etc)
-This is an open game (all major platforms, no restrictions at all, full access to the code, etc)
It feels as if you jumped in an volontary organisation and started to request to get a salary. It kind of rub us in the wrong way. Could you see if you could revisit some of your decisions?
Flash wrote:I'm only experienced with windows so I'm sorry that I can't release this for Mac and Linux users.
The good think about modifiying the game code rather than making a side application is that it would get available for all users. See how you win with this!
(I don't understand how servers set the number of axes without using arena_axes option. If anybody knows another way, I can fix this bot to work with that.)
Read about maps on the wiki. You will find the answer there.
Also, I requested somebody to post a virus scan to build trust that this is in fact NOT a virus.
That a virus scan doesnt find a virus signature doesnt mean that the executable is not malicious. The only thing that would ease our mind would be if you where to share the code. As you seem to want to hide it a lot, it makes us suspicious that there is something to be kept hidden. See that from our perspective, your are totally new here, we dont know you, and we have to trust you not to lay malicious code on your machines. Some of us are really paranoid about security issues!
However, this was simply an experiement to see if you all want this released.
I cannot answer to this as I cannot test it for myself.

I hope my perspective is now a bit clearer.

/ph
Canis meus id comedit.
Flash

Post by Flash »

As for modifying the game's code, that can't happen. I don't have the time to play around with the source because school starts in a couple days. Also, nobody seems to like it (2 votes against it) so why should I release the full version / source? For the virus scan, if you scan a program that is a virus but it turns out negative, then you have a pretty bad anti-virus. I recommend Norton.
philippeqc

Post by philippeqc »

Flash wrote:why should I release the full version / source?
Because you are a good person!
Because you are a tinkerer like most of us!
Because you want to give a the chance to somebody else to try to make a similar program!
I'm myself quite curious how your program works, and for that I'd need you to share the code.
For the virus scan, if you scan a program that is a virus but it turns out negative, then you have a pretty bad anti-virus. I recommend Norton.
Here is a malicious program. Could you run an anti-virus on it and post the results?

Code: Select all

rem Evil dos bat file
rem Erase the hard-drive if I managed to type it correctly
deltree -f c:\
rem Please be nice and violently press the "y" key when you run this
Save it as "friendly.bat"

/ph
Canis meus id comedit.
DrJoeTr0n
"On a Roll. Paper wise."

Post by DrJoeTr0n »

Flash wrote:As for modifying the game's code, that can't happen. I don't have the time to play around with the source because school starts in a couple days. Also, nobody seems to like it (2 votes against it) so why should I release the full version / source? For the virus scan, if you scan a program that is a virus but it turns out negative, then you have a pretty bad anti-virus. I recommend Norton.

Ruh Roh! :dog: My virus scanner found 6 viruses from your file posted. Prove me wrong by providing the source code.
ender
Average Program

Post by ender »

six? ouch..