Discussions bout movie packs

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
SER
Average Program

Post by SER »

Woot!
Attachments
Ss1-Linear.jpg
SER
Average Program

Post by SER »

Woot!
Attachments
Ss2-Linear.jpg
SER
Average Program

Post by SER »

Woot!
Attachments
Ss1-NullUnit.jpg
SER
Average Program

Post by SER »

Woot!
Attachments
Ss2-NullUnit.jpg
SER
Average Program

Post by SER »

Aff.. finally, that took a while...
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

you know, you can attach 3 files to one post?
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

Thanks a lot, thanks a million times to SER for the images and for posting them to the forum!

Thanks again

-ph
Canis meus id comedit.
SER
Average Program

Post by SER »

Tank Program wrote:you know, you can attach 3 files to one post?
GOD
On Lightcycle Grid

Recognizers

Post by GOD »

Wouldn't it be great to be able to replace that pesky win-zone by, not only a death zone, but a free roaming recognize depicted by SuperTard's wonderful rendering? We've already seen death zones in action... only a matter of time now!

Nice modding everyone, keep up the great work.
"Sticks and stones may break your bones, but my words will destroy your mind." - O.O.G.
Tank Program

Re: Recognizers

Post by Tank Program »

GOD wrote:Wouldn't it be great to be able to replace that pesky win-zone by, not only a death zone, but a free roaming recognize depicted by SuperTard's wonderful rendering? We've already seen death zones in action... only a matter of time now!
depends on how you display a model, but nice idea... i just see a glimmer of possibility... but i believe that's beyond my skill...
GOD
On Lightcycle Grid

Re: Recognizers

Post by GOD »

Tank Program wrote:depends on how you display a model, but nice idea... i just see a glimmer of possibility... but i believe that's beyond my skill...
It, indeed, would require a bit of code alteration as one would have to alter the existing win zone code to display a model instead of the, what looks to be, rather simple ring of bars, and completely change the movement behavior of the zone. Not to mention changing the action caused by reaching a player, and the affected grid area. Might be a bit daunting. Adding yet another model to the grid would certainly hurt FPS performance, and might be an unnecessary touch for less fortunate players still wasting away on older systems. People: if you buy the parts yourself, and assemble them at home, you can build a very nice machine for far less that $1,000 (US). That was years ago, back when I build my machine, the market has since been flooded by a plethora of new processors. Once the 64Bit chips take off the older 32bit chips will be worthless, and practically dirt cheap. Remember, a bleeding edge system need not have bleeding endge parts. An AMD 1800+ XP is a very nice chip (the one in my machine, I might add), which can be overclocked (I've personally gotten in to 2100, but it wasn't stable due to a faulty power supply which I'm still using). My entire system cost about $850 (US), or so, whithout a monitor, when I built it... shit, about three years ago. Since most of you would be replacing your existing machine, you wouldn't need to buy a new monitor, and you could even take the old machine and set up a shit load of varying dedicated game servers on it!

I digress, beyond your skill, or not, Tank, I think it would be a nice addition. I'll have time to dedicate to the development of armage shortly - my semester will be ending late december, and we have about a month break between semesters. However, I've only got about one semester left, then I'll be done, done for life! Wherein I'll gladly offer my time and effort until I'm able to land a job.
"Sticks and stones may break your bones, but my words will destroy your mind." - O.O.G.
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Of course, it'd break backwards compatibility I believe...
GOD
On Lightcycle Grid

Perhapse

Post by GOD »

Tank Program wrote:Of course, it'd break backwards compatibility I believe...
*nod* the easier method would be to simply break backwards compatibility, but it isn't necessary. A simple version check could determine whether or not to use the old style winzone or new Recognizer version... and I'm pretty sure the change from winzone to deathzone is server side, and is already implimented successfully, I forget which servers I've seen them on, but I don't have 0.2.7, and it works for me. Perhapse it breaks with older versions? Anyone with 0.2.5 run into a deathzone (excuse the pun ; )?
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

It'd be the necessary change in movement that would kill it- I visualize the recognizer roaming the grid to kill you, which the old clients would have no way of displaying it, as the routines to draw it would be non-existent. Even now as near as I can make out the winzone growing is synchronized- there's no actual data transfer on where it is... Maybe if we make the thingy go in circles along the outline of the winzone... Then it could be done without changing the server, just the client...
GOD
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by GOD »

Tank Program wrote:It'd be the necessary change in movement that would kill it- I visualize the recognizer roaming the grid to kill you, which the old clients would have no way of displaying...
Ah, yes, of course. Good point. Forgive my sleep deprived state, I completely overlooked that. That does pose a problem, hmm... Perhapse a set sized win/deathzone that is created/destroyed along the path of the recognizer to simulate movement? Just a quick unimplementable solution... but it would defentitely be controlable serverside (I think, hehe).