Priorities?

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
subby
Shutout Match Winner

Post by subby »

becuase you can double up on topics if you want to discuss them which is not good either for a variety of reasons.
CharlieH
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by CharlieH »

Tank Program wrote:whoa whoa whoa! where'd that come from? this thread is pretty old... really old... and you joining officially isn't up to me. don't forget that you don't need to be part of the official staff to submit a patch
hehe i was low on sleep and using links2, didn't pay much attention to dates
ishAdmin wrote:1) it's open source, anybody can do anything with the code.
yeah? is that patch to get it compiling on amd64 (and 32-bit x86) that i posted a couple weeks back in cvs yet? seems to be more talking about doing work than there actually is doing the work itself. i still have yet to see cvs write access. i regress, i've lost interest.
grep / wohc / charlie / woh CharlieH
World of Hate fanboy
charlie ats dextrocardia dots net
ishAdmin
Match Winner

Post by ishAdmin »

ok then, that it's THEY'RE FIRED!

oh fudge, you can't fire a volunteer. nevermind.
SuPeRTaRD
Round Winner

Post by SuPeRTaRD »

oops, my bad, i will try not to drudge up old topics anymore..

hi! i'm new here!

at least i'm reading all the old threads tho.. eh?

:oops:
GOD
On Lightcycle Grid

Dead topic?!

Post by GOD »

Lucifer wrote: 4) How can we get some of these really old threads that are pretty irrelevant, the resurrection of which causes more trouble than they're worth, locked?
(sorry about the garbled quote, started a reply instead of simply quoting)

Woah, woah, woah, hold the hell on. There are some great ideas in this thread, far from irrelevant. I appologize for my absense from the forum, but I would absolutely _love_ to see much of what was discussed in this thread implimented, as well as aid the cause. I'm too tired right now to start ranting about the various great ideas in a list like fasion, but I just read the entire thread from start to finish. It's 5:30 in the frick'n morning, that should say something about the relevance of the topic.

I will say one thing about the topics mentioned: although the lag issue was mentioned I noticed no one opted to work on it, and to ensure all of the wonderful ideas don't detract from the game, I feel that the biggest problem of all should be addressed first. Can you imagine the kind of laggy chaos that would occur with random spawns (an idea I really like)? There is a lot I want to discuss regarding the ideas outlined herein, but I'm a bit sleepy. Lag should be addressed first and foremost. From what I've heard through various sources the networking code is rather garbled, some of the stuff I've heard about it is down right blasphemy (excuse the pun ; ). I've contemplated, along with a few others, a complete rewrite of the code, though I haven't taken a serious look at the task. I have, however, glanced at the windows source, and holy crap... I'm still not even sure with file is the primary source file! A rewrite would, indeed, be a daunting task. I'm up for it, though... perhaps I'm a little insane, or, more likely, perhaps I just really need a worth while project to get a handle on game programming experience - my school certainly isn't offering any help in that department. Not to mention I'm starved for real projects.

I really like a lot of the ideas proposed here, and I think the topic is _far_ from dead or irrelevant. A lot of us are busy with our varying lives: school, work, women, etc., and haven't been able to commit the time we would like to the advance of armagetron. Don't shrug off improvements to the game, they could offer a great deal of appeal to an already amazing game. However, we should first address the existing issues with the game, and once those are weeded out, and only then, should we move on to adding new features.

Going back to the rumors of the source for a moment, I've heard that the positioning system is based heavily on geometry and trigonometry, lots of nintey degree angles and the like. I haven't looked, but to me that spells sine, cosine, and tangent functions... which is extreamely dangerous, there is a shit load of overhead involved with those operations, and they should be avoided at all costs. Worse yet, I've been told that positioning algorithms exist in the networking code! What madness is that? It's kind of frightening to think how such operations would play into the positioning of the bikes. All the client's networking procedures and functions should do is communicate with the server, and the server's with the client - that's it, nothing more, nothing less.
    There is no reason for such a trigonometric system; a simple coordinate system is all that is needed. Hell, you don't even need negative coordinates! The issue with a coordinate system, that is, a (x,y) system, is accuracy. The sine, cosine, and tangent operations probably deal with the accuracy of placement, this is just a guess - it has been quite a while since I dealt with cosine, sine, and tangents. Basically my concern is that there are a lot of positions between (0,0), and (0,1), an infinite number actually. Perhaps switching to a coordinate system would put an end to the theory that every grind can be beaten.
    Oh well, I've managed to mangle the flow of this post quite nicely in my sleep deprived state; nice and convoluted.

Sorry if I don't have an avatar, or signature, I registered for this a long ass time ago, can't remember if I set those up. I like Lucifer's avatar, I've long since had a means of spelling my name, which I've recently altered - I need someone to take a screenie for me, but I doubt I'll use it as an avatar. Would hate to copy a good idea ;)
"Sticks and stones may break your bones, but my words will destroy your mind." - O.O.G.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Re: Dead topic?!

Post by Lucifer »

GOD wrote:
Lucifer wrote: 4) How can we get some of these really old threads that are pretty irrelevant, the resurrection of which causes more trouble than they're worth, locked?
(sorry about the garbled quote, started a reply instead of simply quoting)

Woah, woah, woah, hold the hell on. There are some great ideas in this thread, far from irrelevant. I appologize for my absense from the forum, but I would absolutely _love_ to see much of what was discussed in this thread implimented, as well as aid the cause. I'm too tired right now to start ranting about the various great ideas in a list like fasion, but I just read the entire thread from start to finish. It's 5:30 in the frick'n morning, that should say something about the relevance of the topic.
:) Whoah whoah whoah. Heh. I was only suggesting locking them, not locking them up. I'm a big fan of keeping old posts around to read, hell I have every email I've received in the last 3 years, I don't delete it I just put it away. (except the slashdot notifications disappeared after my last upgrade, good thing it wasn't an important folder)

Heh, ok, problem: people resurrecting old threads and getting all emotional/causing problems/think problems are being caused to them.

Solution: Read the dates on posts. Or Lock old threads so people can't post new posts to it, they'd have to start a new thread (referencing the old thread), which would force them to read the date on the posts.

That's all. ;)
GOD
On Lightcycle Grid

problems? Problems?! I'll show yoooouuuu PROBLEMS!

Post by GOD »

Lucifer wrote:Heh, ok, problem: people resurrecting old threads and getting all emotional/causing problems/think problems are being caused to them.
Examples of old threads causing misplaced emotion/problems? And don't try and say the post I just made, because my gripe was with the topic at hand being closed, not the thread.
"Sticks and stones may break your bones, but my words will destroy your mind." - O.O.G.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Re: problems? Problems?! I'll show yoooouuuu PROBLEMS!

Post by Lucifer »

GOD wrote:
Lucifer wrote:Heh, ok, problem: people resurrecting old threads and getting all emotional/causing problems/think problems are being caused to them.
Examples of old threads causing misplaced emotion/problems? And don't try and say the post I just made, because my gripe was with the topic at hand being closed, not the thread.
Scroll up a bit more and read CharlieH's posts?