Movie pack bike.max anyone?

For developmental things relating to the graphics of the game.
DrJoeTr0n
"On a Roll. Paper wise."

Movie pack bike.max anyone?

Post by DrJoeTr0n »

Since I haven't been getting much help so far I was wondering, does anybody have cycle.ase converted to .max, ive been trying to get a .ase importer but they dont work, even ones made for 3ds max6 dont work and I'm almost done with my mod, just the bike shape needs to be shaped.

If anyone has cycle.ase converted to .max and is willing to post it, or PM it to me that would be much appreciated ^^ and I'll give you credit for helping me make this mod.

P.S. Once Armarocktron is done, I have already started putting together a new one that all of you might enjoy.
nicolas.b
Grid Clown
Location: west philly Quotation: "Everybody's stuck being a moderator, but me. Sweet!"

Post by nicolas.b »

if things get too frustrating perhaps you could skip the reshaping and just do the new skin. it's surprising how much you can customize the bike simply by adding a new skin. and the nice thing is you still get the 'wheels in motion' effect, which makes the custom cycles i've tried so far look very strange by their absence.

here's K's which i'm currently loving:
http://guru3.sytes.net/viewtopic.php?t=933
DrJoeTr0n
"On a Roll. Paper wise."

Post by DrJoeTr0n »

lol I'm very much aware of changing the skin on bikes. Infact, I have a bike skin I made, I just need to shape the bike to fit it, and I'm not gonna release my mod untill I change the shape of the bike, I apreciate it though nic. 8)
SuPeRTaRD
Round Winner

Post by SuPeRTaRD »

i think theres a high-poly free tronbike mesh out on the web somewhere, mebbe u could run multi-res on it & make it friendlier to the game

i can convert .ase to .3ds or to whatever format for people if they need me to

-------------

er on second thought.. if i manage to get that one into max, i'll post it here as .3ds

there are a couple tronbike meshes on www.3dcafe.com

they're kinda poly heavy, but nice looking
Last edited by SuPeRTaRD on Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

SuPeRTaRD wrote:max exports to .ase but it doesnt import

so.. model a new bike & export it ;p

i aint givin' you mine!

heh.. i think theres a high-poly free tronbike mesh out on the web somewhere, mebbe u could run multi-res on it & make it friendlier to the game

a program called viewpoint interchange will convert .ase to .3ds
if'n ye REALLY need a ase importer ^

-------------

er on second thought.. if i manage to get that one into max, i'll post it here as .3ds

there are a couple tronbike meshes on www.3dcafe.com

they're kinda poly heavy, but nice looking
About remodeling bikes, has someone tested to see if the game would be improve by having "cycle" that are only boxes, maybe a dent on it to see the "front". (so like 7 surfaces)

Ppl on slow computer would surely appreciate having their game passing from 4 fps to a wooping 12 fps for such a low cost operation.

Anyone willing to test that and maybe give us, poor ppl with low cpu ressources, a chance to have a better experience?

Just an idea like that.

----
Assuming a bike is normally 1 meter long, I've made a 5 polygon model: the front is at (0,0,0) and the cycle face -x (so the back is at about (1,0,0), so it may need correction:

all the points: in (x,y,z)
(0, 0.12,0)
(0, -0.12,0)
(1, 0.3, 0)
(1, -0.3, 0) (those 4 give the ground shape)
(0.2, 0, 0.3) top front vertex
(1.2, 0, 0.5) top back vertex

can someone try to model it.
the proportions are all wrong probably, but it seems like an ok shape on paper, but I was just unable to describe it in words.
probably the "ground" polygone can be skipped as it is never displayed, making it a 4 polygones model. (if I count them ok, 6 triangles are needed for it if the ground is ommited. 1 in front, one in back, and 2 for each sides.)

-ph
Canis meus id comedit.
Seeker
Round Winner

Post by Seeker »

i used a few of those different tron meshes for a wallpaper i did in bryce5 a while back and posted on the forums (seems to have been deleted, ill see if i can find it again in my old hard drive)with them beside one another you can really see the differences.
n54
MVP

Post by n54 »

philippeqc wrote:About remodeling bikes, has someone tested to see if the game would be improve by having "cycle" that are only boxes, maybe a dent on it to see the "front". (so like 7 surfaces)
i made a "2d" triangular cycle (only 3 vertices) for iceman some time back, i think he had some probs with it on his computer but when i used them on my own (only tested in local game) i didn't notice the slightest difference (on athlon 1800+)

i have a feeling it's not the cycles putting the biggest load on a computer but rather how the grid is created (seems very inefficient to me but i wouldn't know). the grid should be only 8 vertices (all it takes to create a box of 6 triangles - a box which is simultaneously "hooks" to hang textures on as well as borders between in-game and automatic death) and i doubt that's the method used. as for the bikes remember that all the bikes are the same fixed vertices so they actually don't take that much power (or at least they shouldn't if the game keeps the model in memory something it might not do for all i know), however i do notice a difference when going up from about the 190 vertices in the standard moviepack cycle to about the 3-400 (or was it even more?) vertices in the high definition moviepack cycle, so it does (of course) impact things relative to how strong a videocard one has but i think it has more to do with the code than anything else really - would be nice to get some opengl wizard to review and update that part of the code
SuPeRTaRD
Round Winner

Post by SuPeRTaRD »

there are a TON of factors that affect fps.. ^ when i get around to making an arena remap, i will try to irk out as much fps as i can from this engine, if i find any tricks, i'll let y'all know

i'm pretty stoked i found another game to edit, especialy one i like to play & am good at & other people actually play.. :mrgreen:

i also edit the pc game re-volt by acclaim
u can make custom maps/vehicles/objects for that game
--------------

here, posting this as .3ds so more people can use it (.max isnt compatible across diff versions)

it has 167 polygons

its the mesh from the ORIGINAL moviepack
the texture mapping should be intact on it..
for a minimal fee, i'll make a texture template for it :P
Attachments
mporgcyc.zip
low poly modelors eat your heart out
(3.19 KiB) Downloaded 424 times
Last edited by SuPeRTaRD on Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

n54 wrote: i made a "2d" triangular cycle (only 3 vertices) for iceman some time back, i think he had some probs with it on his computer but when i used them on my own (only tested in local game) i didn't notice the slightest difference (on athlon 1800+)
Darn, I was really wishfull on that.

I still (very personnally, in my deep inside self) feel like a small performance hit to have things that look like cycles drawn at 400x300 (or 320x200, well you get the idea)

I'd be interested in that triangular cycle if you still have it. I've noticed that different "improvement" have different effects on different computers. On some lowering the quality of the texture below a certain level actually worsten the fps.

For the rest, well, I know the same amount of opengl as you do.

-ph
Canis meus id comedit.
iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

Post by iceman »

the problem with that single triangle is that it works fine in local but crashes the online games

i think the problem was with the skin not fitting the model
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif
SuPeRTaRD
Round Winner

Post by SuPeRTaRD »

i noticed if you have a .png that doesnt have an active alpha channel, it crashes tron

hey joe tron, i converted your request! read up ^^^ for download link
n54
MVP

Post by n54 »

here it is, without the skin (what iceman said makes sense so i didn't bother to include the skin).

i simply edited the mesh directly in the text file to make this one
Attachments
triangle cycle.zip
a simple triangle bike which needs to be unzipped and renamed for use (of course) it's an ase file btw
(8.97 KiB) Downloaded 410 times