no sealing?

Anything about how you get those awesome core-dumps, or why you don't get them...
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Sorry for the double post, but it occurs to me that it's very easy to setup a server that enforces this open play.

CYCLE_RUBBER -1

Then tweak CYCLE_WALL_NEAR and CYCLE_ACCEL until you're happy.

No code changes needed. :)

(try sumo with it, it's awesome)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

That just disables space compression perpendicular to a nearby wall. Visible sealing is still possible by outer corner grinders.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
root down
Round Winner

Post by root down »

i still don't think disabling "sealing" is the best move to make, rather i would say educating those who disagree with sealing in the machanics of the game is the way to go.
stakes is high
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

You will be surprised and amazed at how hard people will try to resist being educated. We've been trying for months now, maybe a year or more, to educate people on rubber, and it's just not working.

In any case, I certainly agree that education is the best way to go, I think I'll settle with people just relaxing more about how other people play. Because if people play "open" with me, then when (not if) I get out of their tunnel, I'm going to slap them in the smallest, most tightly sealed box I can.

- Iron Maiden
Fonkay
Match Winner

Post by Fonkay »

Lucifer wrote: Because if people play "open" with me, then when (not if) I get out of their tunnel, I'm going to slap them in the smallest, most tightly sealed box I can.
Me too... :D Mine's more of an if than a when though.
This post does not come with any form of Warranty or Return Policy.
If you're unhappy with this post, please feel free to suck it up and move on.
Core Dumper

Post by newbie »

what about half open and half closed? :lol:
1, 4, 6, 9, 11, 21, 24, 33, 34, 35

cetialpha
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by cetialpha »

Wow. I never heard so many people complain about having a distinct advantage over other players. :o I like playing open for no other reason than because I think it's more fun. I didn't really even play this game much before I discovered "open". But, again, it comes down to personal preferences. I think there are enough open players out there to conclude that we are not suffering from some sort of mental illness because we like to play open.

That being said I thoroughly enjoy beating closed players while playing open. So, please, feel free to try and close me in a small tight box. In fact, JJ Bean was doing that to me last night. I wasn't complaining at all. In fact he was REALLY good at it. It just makes the game more interesting and gives me something to work at countering. At least that's somewhat of a challenge. I find many players just make huge boxes and basically camp outside the box.

As for creating a forced open server. Tested it out with Bort on one of the FA servers and it really didn't work. I mean you couldn't close, but you also couldn't squeeze in tight spaces. Also, half the fun of playing open is learning to control your cycle at high speeds and not close. It's an interesting idea, but again, I don't mind playing people who close...as long as they play closed in a way that is interesting (i.e. like JJ Bean). But I'll try and toy with it some more and see if there is a way. I'm pretty new at the server settings so...

Anyway, this topic is getting outta hand now. Close/Open/Whatever. Whatever floats yer boat.
Wadda ta to the damies. Supa tawn.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Well, technically the topic isn't "do you like open/closed play?", it's "Why are people whining when I don't play open?". It's just carrying your normal budget of general trash-talking along with it. :)

- Iron Maiden
root down
Round Winner

Post by root down »

cetialpha wrote:things
it sounds like you enjoy the game more when people force you to play closed. it's more interesting, right?
stakes is high
cetialpha
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by cetialpha »

It's just carrying your normal budget of general trash-talking along with it.
hehe But at least it's cheap! Who doesn't love freebies? :P

And root down and I got to take our frustrations out on each other in gland last night so it's all good. 8) hehe Good times. :)

Oh, and root down, I keep forgetting to ask you where in Canada you're from.
Joe
Core Dumper

Post by Joe »

/me west coast of BC
cetialpha
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by cetialpha »

Cool. I used to live in Whistler, BC back in 98. I could handle moving back out to BC. It's either Ottawa (only if I get a job working for the Liberals), Montreal (just a beautiful city), Vancouver/Victoria, or I stay put here in Halifax.

Though I could be tempted to move south of the 49th to New England.
Joe
Core Dumper

Post by Joe »

I live in squamish, it's between vancouver and whistler
root down
Round Winner

Post by root down »

thunder (******) bay
stakes is high
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Why in hell would you want to move south of the 49th?

- Iron Maiden