Deleted

Anything About Anything...
Sabarai
The Former Man of Cheese

Post by Sabarai »

YEA! A real "my country is better than yours"-discussion :mrgreen:

Hehe, but there's forrest closer than sea :P So your point kinda misses it's.... point :P
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

What was the height of the biggest moutain in your country again? 5 meters below sea level? :)
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Don't our dunes or dikes count as mountains? No, seriously, there is a point well above 300 meters even though most of our land is near or below sea level.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Well, I can reach any climate I want within just a couple of day's drive, from arctic to subtropical. I can even get tropical, but I'd have to go to Florida for that. It's virtually guaranteed to always be warm somewhere in the continental US, and also cold somewhere in the US.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Sabarai
The Former Man of Cheese

Post by Sabarai »

You see what you're saying? A couple of days driving...?

Anyway, my house stands on ground which is 18 meters above sealevel :P But you're right, the biggest part of our population (10 million of the 16 million) live below sealevel. Also our government is situated below sealevel. :P So if Al Gore is right (which I doubt, I get tought elseway.. On the top of that, we're rich enough to make dikes like these.)

And z-man, isn't it so that a lot of Germans come to the Dutch beaches every summer again? So you should know about the 20m+ high dunes... :P
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Well, let me put this into perspective. It takes a day to get out of Texas from where I'm at, but it only takes 4 days to get to Seattle. And what's wrong with that, anyway? Beats the hell out of being some dinky country that couldn't get a foothold anywhere else so had to claim its land from the ocean....

Anyway, all the climate zones in the US are represented in Texas, it's just that if you want real mountains you have to go outside of texas, because the ones on the border with Oklahoma dont really count either. So, as a matter of fact, I can be at the beach in 6 hours, or a ski resort. (Ok, fine, the ski resort's 14 hours away) There's cool limestone caverns just 10 minutes from my house, I'm planning on hiding in them when the Russians invade.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Fonkay
Match Winner

Post by Fonkay »

Yay Canada! :D
This post does not come with any form of Warranty or Return Policy.
If you're unhappy with this post, please feel free to suck it up and move on.
Sabarai
The Former Man of Cheese

Post by Sabarai »

Well.. Some country is investigating how we protect our claimed land from the sea after some hurricane named Katrina destroyed New Orleans.. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4607452.stm

And from where I live, the nearest beach is at 30 km, 1 hour with a bicycle... haha and the nearest ski-residence is about 300~400 km away (Belgian Ardennes) or the German Black Forrest or the French/Swiss/Italian Alps.. All closer than 14 hours of driving :P
Also I can be at an indoor ski resort within an hour..

Because it's smaller and we do need everything, everything is easier to reach :)
Freewheelin'56
Round Winner

Post by Freewheelin'56 »

Double Yay Canada 8)
Freewheelin'58 I want Goshdarn back!!
Great Googly Moogly
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Sabarai wrote:And from where I live, the nearest beach is at 30 km, 1 hour with a bicycle...
You are a super-biker.
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

If it's totally flat and the wind is OK I can ride my bike at 35km/h for an hour, no problem.
There's no place like ::1
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Whatever "wind is OK" means. :)

I'll have to try for myself sometime.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Sabarai
The Former Man of Cheese

Post by Sabarai »

Here it IS almost totally flat, and I used to cycle 10 km every day to school in 20 mins... (5 km to school 10 mins, 5 km from school 10 mins)

When the road is good I can reach 35 km/h on my Rollerblades haha :P But only for a little while :P