Unix utils for Windows

Everything todo with programming goes HERE.
k
Random Identifier & Project Developer

Unix utils for Windows

Post by k »

In case anyone is interested here is a link to a bunch of Unix utils that have been ported to native Windows executables (you don't need cygwin).

http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/
subby
Shutout Match Winner

Post by subby »

oh when, oh when, will they port windows console tools to unix ....

(ROFL)
iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

Post by iceman »

stupid drunken post deleted
< iceman >
Last edited by iceman on Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Ever looked at BOCHS?
Marrow
MVP - Project Contributor

Post by Marrow »

iceman wrote:i want a windows emulator running on unix
there's always wine. that will run windows programs while in linux.
GOD
On Lightcycle Grid

Unix utils for windows: MinGW

Post by GOD »

"Sticks and stones may break your bones, but my words will destroy your mind." - O.O.G.
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Freewheelin'56
Round Winner

Post by Freewheelin'56 »

Hi God :lol: catch any bugs lately.
Freewheelin'58 I want Goshdarn back!!
Great Googly Moogly
klax
Project Developer

Post by klax »

Has anyone tested coLinux?
http://www.colinux.org/

Is it faster than emulating linux with vmware in XP?
GOD
On Lightcycle Grid

Greetings

Post by GOD »

Hey '56,
    sorry about the delayed reply; yes I have caught and slaughtered many bugs lately. Thanks for asking. The conspiracy thickens: my girlfriend is _highly_ alergic to bee, and the like, stings... so much so, in fact, that if she were to be stung she would only have about 45 minutes to live, unless she got a shot from this thing she needs to (but often doesn't) carry around, then she would have about a thirty minutes longer to live. They're after me, I tells ya! Oh, there's one now! *squish*

Tank Program: Hmm, how is cygwin? I have had to deal with it on rare occasions, and I haven't been too happy with it. I find mingw far simpler to deal with than an entire linux environment, as appealing as that may be. For dev, though, especially development for Windows, I think a windows based environment would be better: if you develop too heavily on cygwin you become bogged down by the overhead of requiring certain cygwin base files to run the program (something I experienced when I started developing for the GameBoy Advanced, one of the devkits developed relied on cygwin, and there was such a compatibility issue that it made it's way into the FAQ).
"Sticks and stones may break your bones, but my words will destroy your mind." - O.O.G.
Tank Program

Re: Greetings

Post by Tank Program »

GOD wrote:HTank Program: Hmm, how is cygwin? I have had to deal with it on rare occasions, and I haven't been too happy with it. I find mingw far simpler to deal with than an entire linux environment, as appealing as that may be. For dev, though, especially development for Windows, I think a windows based environment would be better: if you develop too heavily on cygwin you become bogged down by the overhead of requiring certain cygwin base files to run the program (something I experienced when I started developing for the GameBoy Advanced, one of the devkits developed relied on cygwin, and there was such a compatibility issue that it made it's way into the FAQ).
cygwin is fine for what I use it for, that is to say, it does what I want it to. I don't use it for the development of Armagetron Advanced tho, so... I couldn't say...
GOD
On Lightcycle Grid

Re: Greetings

Post by GOD »

Tank Program wrote:cygwin is fine for what I use it for, that is to say, it does what I want it to. I don't use it for the development of Armagetron Advanced tho, so... I couldn't say...
That's cool, I was just asking about general development use, not specifically for Armagetron.