behaviour in tron

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
oO.k3nNy
Average Program

behaviour in tron

Post by oO.k3nNy »

i was playing on the (Moo) Clan [ Cow Server ] just before for the first time of my life & this is what happened (see the screenshots)

ballin was attacked quite the same way as i could c it.
i was kicked right after the last screenshot.

the point of this posting is the following:
i play tron mainly for fun (beside the serious matches, and i think most ppl do) and now and then i love to try new servers.
i think most of the players in tron are polite/friendly to each other, just how it should be in a not too big gaming community where most ppl know each other.

my request is to ban players like these (The One) who show such behaviour without any reasons.

if the server approves such behaviour i think the server should be removed from the master server because the master server should be there to show (new) ppl (new) servers they dont know. if a server doesnt want new players on it, it doesnt need the master server.
Last edited by oO.k3nNy on Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

The way I see it, the fundamental problem with banning at the master server level is insuring objectivity. I get regularly accused of not being impartial and arbitrarily banning people from <insert place here, wiki, my master server, forums (?), etc>, this in spite of the fact that I've only ever banned two people in my life, and both had DOS-attacked my server. (Not counting spammers on the wiki, but I don't think anybody will object to me banning a user that posts a bunch of girls on the farm links)

So, how do you a) insure objectivity and b) make it plain to all that the bans are being done impartially?

Add to it the general feelings towards clans around here and you wind up with all the worms out of the can.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Sort of similar to this thread.
oO.k3nNy
Average Program

Post by oO.k3nNy »

@ Lucifer

Objectivity is a hard thing, i agree with that. still this is a different situation as from spamming / flaming towards each other. anyone who judges this objectiv will come to similar conclusions.
bans should be temporary only (exept ofc @ things like DOS attacks and such stuff), like a few days (if that person got banned more times already maybe up to a few weeks).

i agree, the clan thing is a problem here too.

objectivity could be insured with a thread (like i did) in the forum with screenshots, where people can discuss about it until a conclusion is found. (the post with the screenshot should be objectiv too ofcourse)
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

How many times did someone post a screenshot of abuse here, and later the accused person turns up and tells us the screenshot does not show the whole story? How do we know, objectively, that you didn't abuse The One before? Only a full scan of all server logs (impossible) can reveal the truth. Well, not even that: the game action isn't recorded, so, for example, we can't check whether a kick for camping was justified because we can't check whether anyone was camping or not, let alone agree on what camping actually is.
Outside Corner Grinder

Post by 2020 »

he just sounds like an arse

ignore him
silence him
kill him
hehehhe
hold the line
oO.k3nNy
Average Program

Post by oO.k3nNy »

@ z-man:

its true what you are saying.
but: it wasnt about camping so thats not the point here. (with the short period of time i was on the server and amount i was on the server (never before) camping and all the other stuff can easily be excluded)
a solution for this problem could be to write a script, which transfers the server logs directly the a main server or the master server,
if the server and the time of happening is given it may be possible to scan the logs? (i am not really aware with server logs so i am only guessing)
oO.k3nNy
Average Program

Post by oO.k3nNy »

2020 wrote:he just sounds like an arse

ignore him
silence him
kill him
hehehhe
i would love too :)
but i got kicked
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

oO.k3nNy wrote: a solution for this problem could be to write a script, which transfers the server logs directly the a main server or the master server,
if the server and the time of happening is given it may be possible to scan the logs? (i am not really aware with server logs so i am only guessing)
This has serious privacy implications. So yep, you guessed it, I would oppose such a thing. :) (Don't know that I could stop it, but don't forget I run one of the master servers, so to get a ban on all master servers, I'm one of the guys you have to convince)

I don't think there's going to be a way to do what you're asking without shutting out some part of the community, and depending on how it's done, the magnitude of the shutout can increase quite drastically. We all enjoy a certain amount of freedom here, that's probably why the people who tend to stick around are more independent types (I could be wrong). That means we have to take some of the bad with all of the good. Getting kicked from one server by one arguable smeghead is a small price to pay for the numerous great servers you can still play on. :)

- Iron Maiden
oO.k3nNy
Average Program

Post by oO.k3nNy »

@ Lucifer

I ll give up :) its true what you are saying, the heck with them and enjoy freedom :wink:
Revan
Core Dumper

Post by Revan »

Oh, I get it. Now you're considering a master server banning system. I recall it being suggested by me first and shot down in a few posts. :P

http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopi ... ght=master
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.
-Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

@Revan

Who are you talking to?

- Iron Maiden
Canada
Average Program

Post by Canada »

ESTABLISH AN ALAMO!!! and self respect
Canada
Average Program

Post by Canada »

and lucifer, did you change your avatars colors... and why does the person have a yellow face?

oh wait... they must have leperacy...

wait....

why the hell would you have a person with leperacy on your avatar...
Canada
Average Program

Post by Canada »

i hope i scared you for life :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :o :twisted: