1 Flag CTF

The Sty server, let us know your thoughts, suggestions...

Moderator: the pig

the pig
Average Program

1 Flag CTF

Post by the pig »

Well, with the HTF support in, I could technically create a server config that does one flag CTF. So, instead of having a flag assigned to each team, there would be just one flag.

Any ideas on how the rest of the config should be changed for a game like that? Or just regular Sty CTF except with one flag in the center?
groundpigs don't fly
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

Good idea i had thought of that(just did not post) but i dono how to help on that.
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

I just tried to connect to it, but was unreachable.

hmm... I think the path from home zone to flag ought to be littered with obstacles, making getting the flag and taking it home that much more difficult.
How about random placement (within reason) of the flag, you don't want it appearing within a dz. This is possible with the dz, why not the flag?
The flag is declared on the map, not by the server, that why? maybe you could declare several map spawn points on the map and have the server choose one at random. The initial spawn should be the center though. This would lessen the camp the flag spawn problem I can forsee happening.

On paper, I think this model would work better that the current CTF.

mmm, rotating maps, mixed axes, setting changing mid round.....CTW1FCTF
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

ed wrote:How about random placement (within reason) of the flag, you don't want it appearing within a dz. This is possible with the dz, why not the flag?
The death/winzone is placed totally at random whithin a given area (by WIN_ZONE_RANDOMNESS). There's no guarantee that it won't spawn inside another zone or inside a confined area of the map. It's usually solved by having a growing zone, so sooner or later it will grow into an accessible area.
There's no place like ::1
the pig
Average Program

Post by the pig »

ed: I could put in multiple map spawn points, but that sounds like a lot of work.

I like what wrtlprnft suggests, I think that would be easier for both implementation and for the map maker (and for dynamic updates).

So, I'll add a FLAG_HOME_RANDOMNESS config. The flag will start out at the home position given by the map. Every time it jumps back home, home will change randomly within a circle starting at the map position and of radius given by the config. That way, the admin can choose a radius within the map walls.

I could also use that on regular CTF to randomize the team flag placement. It would still appear on the home side, just not at the same place everytime.
groundpigs don't fly
EagleEye
Average Program

Post by EagleEye »

ok, heres my thoughts on the 1 flag ctf:

Good in concept. however in game not nearly as much. The game itself requires little skill, mostly speed and luck in getting to the flag. to me what made regular ctf fun was the batte in skill between the flags attacker and the flags defender. and even if the flags attacker won the battle, he still needed to make it across the grid to his own zone, and hope that his own teams flag wasn't taken.

However all that is lost in this game as there is not much point in defending a flag when you could take it for yourself. and much of the time your home zone is only a few seconds away. Plus since it is pretty much a free for all to the flag, team work is pretty much non existant.

Just my two cents on it.
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

Well, I got to play it. I like it. But I think the map could be improved, so that you had a good chance to intercept the enemy before he reaches his base.
Perhaps something like this:
It's totally untested and will need some tinkering, the flag is a fortress so it would show up on the image. If you want to give it a go, you can download the map from here:
http://crazy-tronners.com/resource/ed/capture/edsty.xml
the pig
Average Program

Post by the pig »

Great ideas guys.

EagleEye: Will it be better with ed's style map layout? I think that will improve things.

ed: I put your base/flag layout in my current map to see how it would work.

We'll see how it goes.
groundpigs don't fly
EagleEye
Average Program

Post by EagleEye »

hmm, that looks good. Im no expert with maps or anything, but i think if you put holes in the dividing wall it would be good, as it will give the members of the a team the option to attempt to block the other team from returning the flag from the start, if their own team doesnt get the flag.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

wrtlprnft wrote:The death/winzone is placed totally at random whithin a given area (by WIN_ZONE_RANDOMNESS). There's no guarantee that it won't spawn inside another zone or inside a confined area of the map. It's usually solved by having a growing zone, so sooner or later it will grow into an accessible area.
It also occasionally spawns on top of players. I've been a victim of that a few times. One time it even spawned on top of both me and nemo. I had a screenshot of it, but if it's somewhere it's on that broken disk. Well, it's possible that nemo has it, but I doubt it.