Wild West CTF bug

Topics and posts about all other servers...
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Wild West CTF bug

Post by Word »

Hey, tomb and I played in Ww CTF yesterday with some others (Reno, phantom, DaZe...); and it's really going smooth for as long as it's working -- but every 3 or 4 rounds, all players seem to get camera problems - the camera just freezes on the wall, you don't see any bikes and need to rejoin/wait for the round to end until everything is normal again. Can you please look into that? I guess that would help making CTF popular again.

(I'm assuming Compguygene is the server owner? I don't know about the Texas server, this post refers to the one whose name looks like the classic Ww CTF)
Magi
Match Winner

Re: Wild West CTF bug

Post by Magi »

This has been a long occurring bug to CTF, at least the past 2 or 3 years as far as I can remember. It's not only CTF it happens in though, it can happen in high rubber servers or any servers where the rounds go on for a long time and players are binding a lot, not sure why it happens, but ya it basically makes CTF unplayable for me, right as you're in the middle of a fun match you have to disconnect.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

bye
Word

Post by Word »

Yeah, this didn't happen in the original server tho...
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

This just reminds me of HFT.
I don't remember it ever happening to me in the middle of matches or anything. When it happened to me, it would happen upon entry of the server.

I don't think it's anything to do with camera settings.
Magi you may be on to something when you mention HR servers, but I don't think it has anything to do with binding to much or the rounds lasting for a long time. I have no reason to think this but something makes me think it's it maybe cycle_start_speed.

Word, when you were forced to stare at a wall, did the others tell you if you even spawned?
Maybe it's a respawn glitch?
Magi
Match Winner

Post by Magi »

ConVicT wrote: Magi you may be on to something when you mention HR servers, but I don't think it has anything to do with binding to much or the rounds lasting for a long time.
Well the reason I say binding too much is because I've replicated it in servers with macros by myself in about a minute span. So I don't think it has do with too many respawns or rounds going on for too long, I just think the amount of binding that happens in ctf when added on to respawns and long rounds can make it happen.

bye
Word

Post by Word »

ConVicT wrote: Word, when you were forced to stare at a wall, did the others tell you if you even spawned?
Maybe it's a respawn glitch?
I saw the console messages which just said I got core dumped at some point. turning might still work, but you can't see anything.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

I'm really just taking guesses. It's probably been answered on here somewhere before.
I can't imagine you're the first person to bring it up, but in saying that, it's happened to me and I never asked.

Z-Man?
Word

Post by Word »

Well, perhaps we gotta post a debug recording unless the problem is already known (and solved, too?). I'll make one if needed. As far as I know sty+ct is still unsupported, so would that even help?
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Yes, that would be a good idea just incase the people that can help have never experienced it.
Should also post stuff like screen resolution what camera you use and other things. Whatever you think might/could be helpful.

Btw, were you in fullscreen? I ask because I don't recall it ever happening to me in windowed.
[Anonymous]
Round Winner

Post by [Anonymous] »

Only experienced by .3/.4 users.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

The server in question is one that Tru owns. The one in Texas is the one that I host and is deliberately named different than the original server as the settings are a take on the brawl settings, not the original Wild West =Capture the Flag=. If you see that behavior in the Texas server, I would suggest that you try to make a recording of it. This has been reported in the past with .4 clients. But, I suspect that you are using a .2,8,x client. If it is happening in .2.8.x I have some ideas to try to match the client/server better. Like using sty+ct+ap as both the server and client. Just an idea...
As to the .4 thing... I doubt if we will see any sort of resolution of this until .4 has Zones V2 fully implemented, which will replace the sty+ct zones.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

It may be something that has existed for a while, and all the sty hacks and whatnot make it happen more frequently. I've not seen the problem, but if magi is saying it happens in HR, is it only on a specific client, or is it to everyone connected to the server? If it is on a specific client, is it up to date? Also if it is a client, what OS is it running, is it a 32 bit OS or 64 bit OS, likewise what is the servers OS?

and can it be produced locally, if i can be reproduced in HR, that is easy to test locally.
Word

Post by Word »

It happens to everyone in the server, so I guess my individual settings/client version don't really matter- tomb uses 2.8, I use 0.4 and there were about 4 more guys experiencing it. And yes, I always play in fullscreen mode.
Magi
Match Winner

Post by Magi »

It happens to 0.4 and 2.8 users, but it seems to happen to 0.4 more often. It happened to me the other day when I was in gene's ctf server, I'm using the most up to date 0.4 client, fullscreened. I've taken a recording of it before but I'm not sure if it got looked into or if there was anything really useful in it.

bye
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Here is how one could explain things better for a developer:
- the bug happens at the start of round / in between rounds (when the round is getting built)
- it is NOT a camera glitch, the camera works like it should and spawns at the position you are supposed to be at
- the camera has it's initial direction, but there is no cycle direction affecting it's direction (the reason why it's pointed at a wall most times)
- Cycle objects are NOT created (probably the bug itself) in the client. The round plays as if they were, so more likely than not, the server created them just fine (just a client bug then)
- Things (events) still happen like you get core dumped, AND (I'm not sure about this part) your controls still affect the server interpretation of where your cycle should be, even though you can't see.
- after a round change, this bug fixes (objects get created once more with another attempt to create them)
- as everyone has been saying, this bug occurs on servers with RESPAWN_TIME > -1 and DOES NOT OCCUR when it isn't (at least I haven't seen it in the many years I've been playing)
- no other settings seem to matter, though experimentation could give a lot more insight regarding what settings tend to affect the frequency of this bug, such as extra round waiting time, chat wait? anything..
- I don't know if binds have anything to do with it like Magi says, worth testing though. But respawning seems to be its biggest trigger.