Strange new server that doesnt work?

Topics and posts about all other servers...
Illuminati
On Lightcycle Grid

Re: Strange new server that doesnt work?

Post by Illuminati »

Whats the problem?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

It's not a problem. Barely qualifies as a nuisance. Easy enough to fix.

Or are you asking why we would not want a server on the browser list that lies about its player count, can't be entered and tries to scam (really, really stupid) people?
Illuminati
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Illuminati »

Z-Man wrote:It's not a problem. Barely qualifies as a nuisance. Easy enough to fix.

Or are you asking why we would not want a server on the browser list that lies about its player count, can't be entered and tries to scam (really, really stupid) people?
You may have a discount...
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Oh, so it is indeed yours? Please take it down. Servers are meant to benefit players.
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

aaaand it's still up...
Durf
Match Winner

Post by Durf »

Z-Man wrote:... are you asking why we would not want a server on the browser list that lies about its player count, can't be entered and tries to scam (really, really stupid) people?
Yes. I'd like to know. It's a little discomforting to know that you will ban servers from the master list simply because you don't like it (or in this case, exploiting a bug that exposes a weak point in your [devs] code)
Z-Man wrote:Please take it down. Servers are meant to benefit players.
It benefits us all by enriching our existence with it's own. More importantly, can you say that it's not benefiting players? At the very least it benefits the developers. Personally, I am glad that it was made.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating it, but really it seems to me that some of you get worked up over nothing. Does it offend you that a loophole was exploited? Get over it. No rules were broken. Just fix the loophole (that would be your [devs] responsibility, not theirs - disallowing their server to be listed on this basis is wrong IMO.).

Let's put it this way:
Even if you fix the bug/loophole, it won't prevent them from making a legitimate server with 1/1 just to "market" or "scam".
Are you going to ban all the 1/1 servers too? Any server listed with 1/1 is just as useless ("doesn't work").

I think you're going too far for a "strange new server that doesn't work". This isn't a threat to national security....or is it? :o
Still though, even if it is a completely useless server...why ban? Even if it benefits no one, what is the problem? (Not asking about the "nuisance" of having to ban the server from the list; asking why it should be banned in the first place)

aP|Nelg wrote:Can anyone share what this is about, and why its on the list?
Your curiosity seems innocent enough. Short answer: because it can.
aP|Nelg wrote:aaaand it's still up...
Given your earlier posts, why do you care if it is? Or why would you want it taken down? How would you feel if people posted threads that resulted in your 1/1 server(s) being taken down from the list? They are just as strange and they "don't work" all the same.
You started this thread with general curiosity, so why does it seem like you're out just to take down a server?
SatanicMeans

Post by SatanicMeans »

Z-Man wrote:Oh, so it is indeed yours? Please take it down. Servers are meant to benefit players.

Hey fuçk face do you honesty think this player Illuminati@forums is me? You fuçking retard. Thats Rookie.

Im god stop insulting fåggot or Ill actually do some damage.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

Durf, I think you shouldn't be too worried about Z-man's actions here. There have been many single player servers over the years. Z-man's complaint is that this server does nothing to benefit players. And to top it off, tries to sell something to really gullible people that has no value.

I suppose if the server was playable, the marketing scam might be ignored. To the best of my knowledge, this is the first time that a server has been blocked on the master list. I might be wrong.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Durf, we knew about this exploit before. We have used it ourselves for April Fools. This server did not show us anything new. And the core of the exploit is not fixable in code. Fundamentally so. We can make it a little harder to exploit, but not at acceptable cost; what we have to do is always harder than what the exploiter needs to to to circumvent it. We could automatically reject implausible lies about player counts, like clients > max_clients here, but those don't bother us too much; the thing we really do not want are plausible lies giving a false impression of the popularity and quality of a server. Manual removals are our only technical means to combat those. Asking nicely to shut those servers down is the only alternative, and you see how well that went.

There is such a thing as an implied contract here. We, the master server operators, provide the service of keeping a list of active servers and passing that on to players, under certain implied conditions. "Implied" means we never wrote them down because they should be obvious to anyone with a working moral compass. Among those conditions:
- Do not lie about your server properties. The information given out by your server needs to be accurate. Version, player names, player count, maximum player count, all that stuff.
- The server needs to actually be playable at least some of the time.
- Servers should not exploit zero day vulnerabilities in clients. We fix those as quickly as possible, of course, but it takes time for fixes to actually make it to players.
For listing purposes, we don't care much about the quality of play, your server settings, how you behave on the forums (well, that's not entirely true; but there is no automatic connection between forum moderator actions and server removals), how you choose to represent your server. Servers called "Z-Man sucks balls" are explicitly allowed.

No, it is not a big deal. But neither is blocking a server from the master list the outrageous action you make it to be. We have done so before, rarely. No, me not liking a server is not a sufficient condition.
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

Durf wrote:How would you feel if people posted threads that resulted in your 1/1 server(s) being taken down from the list? They are just as strange and they "don't work" all the same.
Yes, because a 1/1 server shows up at the very top of the list where everyone can see... NOT
Durf wrote:Given your earlier posts, why do you care if it is?
Hey durf, quit assuming now
Amaso
Core Dumper

Post by Amaso »

Nelg is an idiot. You lose chromosomes talking to him
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Amaso wrote:You lose chromosomes talking to him
So it cures Down Syndrome? I don't think you know how this stuff works.

(In case you haven't guessed, Amaso == Illuminati.)
SatanicMeans

Post by SatanicMeans »

I love you all!
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

SatanicMeans wrote:I love you all!
Doubt it, but okay.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

This is the worst.
Everyone who plays Arma go to their regular server, if it's empty they don't bother.
If you haven't noticed it's still very much dying.
Stop talking shit about stuff that doesn't matter and make the game better with your free time maybe?
I don't even have a stake or a rep to uphold and even I make the game better!

Ouft!