Strange new server that doesnt work?

Topics and posts about all other servers...
Illuminati
On Lightcycle Grid

Re: Strange new server that doesnt work?

Post by Illuminati »

I agree with Durf on this one. If we put as much effort into 0.4 or making this community better this would not be a problem.
None can even get into the server......
d1sc0very

Post by d1sc0very »

Is it possible this server is stealing passwords? As per-- http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... =4&t=23447
I think I might recall Swag talking about that on the dbd hr server.
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

d1sc0very wrote:Is it possible this server is stealing passwords? As per-- http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... =4&t=23447
I think I might recall Swag talking about that on the dbd hr server.
I guess I should avoid posting too much information, but no. It cannot steal your password. Without being able to connect to the server, it's not even a possibility.
Durf
Match Winner

Post by Durf »

My original position on this was that dealing with this server at all was a general waste of time.

Considering how attempts to ban it have failed, this is just wasting more time.
If this was just bait to get Z-Man and Tank Program to waste their time, it was 100% successful.

My overall positions on servers (names, URLs, and usability) is that a person should be allowed to host the server they want (even if it is outrageously offensive and/or useless, its THEIR server, not yours). Shouldn't a person be allowed to host a server meant specifically to not benefit anyone?
How does one justify all the servers that are just copies of another server? They don't benefit users as much as completely unique/new servers do. (with the exception of optimal geolocations for a popular game type).
Does a clan server really benefit players (outside the clan)? Yet are they not still listed without this much scrutiny? The reasoning "for the benefit of players" is flawed.

I suppose you could be glad that it's just one server and not 666 servers - the effort required to ignore a useless server and continue scrolling to playable servers is minimal. Just get over it and move on. Have any of you considered that if you ignored this entirely, it might have just gone away? You giving it this much attention only encourages more actions like this.

@Light
I'm not necessarily against the idea of it being banned...or I wouldn't be if you all didn't seem to be overreacting.
I'm actually quite serious and not simply trying to argue for the sake of arguing (an argument is the expression of different opinions - by definition, every thread is an argument).
I even offered help to Z-Man, or whoever hosts the master servers, to "automatically" deal with troublesome servers.
I'm willing to help resolve this and any related future issues all at once, rather than just sweep this one under the rug.

I can see why, given recent events, that you think I would be trolling this thread, but I can assure you I am not. Have faith in your fellow tronner.

@nelg
The cost of doing something the right way is never wrong.
I presented valid reasoning and asked appropriate questions.
Overall, the difference in effort being spent should show you that I actually care about (not only the master list, but) tron's users (and server owners).
I'm willing to spend the effort required to get to the bottom of any issue. Sure we can all just get ban-happy but like trying to ban proxies, you can't just ban a large range and expect not to affect other users (I don't see valid reasons for banning this server and not other servers - some clearly written rules that are being violated).

@everyone
The best reasoning so far has been in this post.
And I understand that perfectly fine. I can agree that such a server should be banned.
Really, all I was asking for was understanding. Why is this so important anyway? Why are so many of you bothered by something that costs you next to nothing to simply ignore? Why is this worth your time? Aren't there more important things to do?
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

I doubt we have to worry about swag hosting servers under proxies, durf...
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Durf: Nobody was making a big deal out of it. Nobody screamed "THIS ABOMINATION HAS TO GO!". Banning them was maybe ten minutes of work for me, tops, and I have two masters. I would have done it had I spotted the server myself. You probably put a comparable amount of work into telling us we should not bother :)
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

Z-Man wrote:Durf: Nobody was making a big deal out of it. Nobody screamed "THIS ABOMINATION HAS TO GO!". Banning them was maybe ten minutes of work for me, tops, and I have two masters. I would have done it had I spotted the server myself. You probably put a comparable amount of work into telling us we should not bother :)
^^^
Illuminati
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Illuminati »

aP|Nelg wrote:
Z-Man wrote:Durf: Nobody was making a big deal out of it. Nobody screamed "THIS ABOMINATION HAS TO GO!". Banning them was maybe ten minutes of work for me, tops, and I have two masters. I would have done it had I spotted the server myself. You probably put a comparable amount of work into telling us we should not bother :)
^^^
Yes. Indeed. True
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

@Durf
In my opinion, we need to get rid of servers like that. The key difference between this server and some other apparently pointless/useless/unusable servers is that this server had a deliberately fake user count. This is bad because when viewing the master list ordered by number of users, this server shows up where you really don't want it to. Now, one server like this is not a huge mess but imagine many servers like this, each with differing user counts. It would make the master list very unpleasant to view. Therefore, it's best to enforce the policy from the start and to remove such servers.
Playing since December 2006
Cero

Post by Cero »

Check this out :roll:
screenshot_1.png
Seems your masters are still not blocking this server...

At least from my end it appears below all the other servers.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

That's been there for next to a week.
Have you looked at the site?
...F***ing weirdos!
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

ConVicT wrote:That's been there for next to a week.
...F***ing weirdos!
When something look fishy on internet, I obviously do not connect / try to reach the website.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Ok, GRR. The firewall control panel of my VPS is completely borked. You set it to block UDP and in the overview it shows that, but go in again and it switched to blocking TCP.
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

Cero wrote:Check this out :roll:
screenshot_1.png
Seems your masters are still not blocking this server...

At least from my end it appears below all the other servers.
I have my client set to "Users" instead of "score" though.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

takburger wrote:
ConVicT wrote:That's been there for next to a week.
...F***ing weirdos!
When something look fishy on internet, I obviously do not connect / try to reach the website.
Not bothered, I have antivirus, and even if I didn't I know where to look to get rid of it.
FYI, the site doesn't give you anything, so, meh.