Strange new server that doesnt work?

Topics and posts about all other servers...
takburger
Match Winner

Re: Strange new server that doesnt work?

Post by takburger »

ConVicT wrote:
takburger wrote:
ConVicT wrote:That's been there for next to a week.
Have you looked at the site?
...F***ing weirdos!
When something look fishy on internet, I obviously do not connect / try to reach the website.
Not bothered, I have antivirus, and even if I didn't I know where to look to get rid of it.
FYI, the site doesn't give you anything, so, meh.
It's not about viruses ... Also about connecting your client to the server.

There are players who have been ddos during ladles, how do you think people got their ip in the first place ?
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

By having any user_level that allows you to see IPs in the game?
If that were so much of a bad thing, then why's anyone allowed to do it?
So, no, it's not about viruses, or IPs, it's about scamming money I believe, and I wasn't about to sign up and start paying.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Stop arguing about stupid things, please. What does their goal matter? They probably just did it for the lulz. There are better ways to harvest IPs or scam people.
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

Z-Man wrote:Stop arguing about stupid things, please. What does their goal matter? They probably just did it for the lulz. There are better ways to harvest IPs or scam people.
Does the client even send the username if you don't actually connect?
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

You would have to connect for your client to work out that the server is full, for it to give you the server full message, no?

Easy test: Make a 1/1 server and try to enter and see if it comes up in your logs .
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Light wrote:Does the client even send the username if you don't actually connect?
Nnnnope. If you want the IPs of specific people, you need to let them connect and at least start authentication (or possibly transfer their player data during the initial sync, I'm not sure right now whether the GlobalID field is managed server or client side). Otherwise, all you get is a random set of IPs. You then have to monitor all other servers to see which GlobalIDs are playing on them at any given time and correlate those two fuzzy data sources. I'm sure it's possible and even feasible, but it's actual work.
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

Z-Man wrote:Nnnnope. If you want the IPs of specific people, you need to let them connect and at least start authentication (or possibly transfer their player data during the initial sync, I'm not sure right now whether the GlobalID field is managed server or client side). Otherwise, all you get is a random set of IPs. You then have to monitor all other servers to see which GlobalIDs are playing on them at any given time and correlate those two fuzzy data sources. I'm sure it's possible and even feasible, but it's actual work.
It would be more realistic to just collect IP's and users the way we've all done it for ever now. I would say if that was really his goal, he'd make it so people could at least connect. I assume having 666/999 users would keep it at the top.

Anyways, I was just curious. I would guess his goal is, as you said, just to be funny.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Light wrote:It would be more realistic to just collect IP's and users the way we've all done it for ever now.
Yep.
AXO_FUNGUS

Post by AXO_FUNGUS »

I checked the IP of the server. 104.4.114.54. Matches swag. :o

http://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lo ... 4.4.114.54

Yes, indeed. It is swag's IP.
Z-Man wrote:
... are you asking why we would not want a server on the browser list that lies about its player count, can't be entered and tries to scam (really, really stupid) people?
Yes. I'd like to know. It's a little discomforting to know that you will ban servers from the master list simply because you don't like it (or in this case, exploiting a bug that exposes a weak point in your [devs] code)

Z-Man wrote:
Please take it down. Servers are meant to benefit players.
It benefits us all by enriching our existence with it's own. More importantly, can you say that it's not benefiting players? At the very least it benefits the developers. Personally, I am glad that it was made.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating it, but really it seems to me that some of you get worked up over nothing. Does it offend you that a loophole was exploited? Get over it. No rules were broken. Just fix the loophole (that would be your [devs] responsibility, not theirs - disallowing their server to be listed on this basis is wrong IMO.).

Let's put it this way:
Even if you fix the bug/loophole, it won't prevent them from making a legitimate server with 1/1 just to "market" or "scam".
Are you going to ban all the 1/1 servers too? Any server listed with 1/1 is just as useless ("doesn't work").

I think you're going too far for a "strange new server that doesn't work". This isn't a threat to national security....or is it? :o
Still though, even if it is a completely useless server...why ban? Even if it benefits no one, what is the problem? (Not asking about the "nuisance" of having to ban the server from the list; asking why it should be banned in the first place)

aP|Nelg wrote:
Can anyone share what this is about, and why its on the list?
Your curiosity seems innocent enough. Short answer: because it can.
aP|Nelg wrote:
aaaand it's still up...
Given your earlier posts, why do you care if it is? Or why would you want it taken down? How would you feel if people posted threads that resulted in your 1/1 server(s) being taken down from the list? They are just as strange and they "don't work" all the same.
You started this thread with general curiosity, so why does it seem like you're out just to take down a server?
Holy crap Durf. You are getting triggered over SWAG. XD I'm not sure why... Anyway, swag shouldn't be allowed to even have a server, he is a known IP harvester, comment spammer, toxic mean person, etc. (you know, swag :P ) Honestly, all this fuss is over nothing. But you know, it is mean when he threatens to DDoS your server or when he tracks your IP and uses UDPs to boost your ping up to over a thousand, and your server becomes unplayable. That shouldn't be allowed.
Last edited by Z-Man on Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No actual edit, just reminding everyone that this is some epic bump while I approve it.
{AXO}FUNGUS, freezing up here in Canada.
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

AXO_FUNGUS wrote:
I checked the IP of the server. 104.4.114.54. Matches swag. :o

http://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lo ... 4.4.114.54

Yes, indeed. It is swag's IP.
Z-Man wrote:
... are you asking why we would not want a server on the browser list that lies about its player count, can't be entered and tries to scam (really, really stupid) people?
Yes. I'd like to know. It's a little discomforting to know that you will ban servers from the master list simply because you don't like it (or in this case, exploiting a bug that exposes a weak point in your [devs] code)

Z-Man wrote:
Please take it down. Servers are meant to benefit players.
It benefits us all by enriching our existence with it's own. More importantly, can you say that it's not benefiting players? At the very least it benefits the developers. Personally, I am glad that it was made.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating it, but really it seems to me that some of you get worked up over nothing. Does it offend you that a loophole was exploited? Get over it. No rules were broken. Just fix the loophole (that would be your [devs] responsibility, not theirs - disallowing their server to be listed on this basis is wrong IMO.).

Let's put it this way:
Even if you fix the bug/loophole, it won't prevent them from making a legitimate server with 1/1 just to "market" or "scam".
Are you going to ban all the 1/1 servers too? Any server listed with 1/1 is just as useless ("doesn't work").

I think you're going too far for a "strange new server that doesn't work". This isn't a threat to national security....or is it? :o
Still though, even if it is a completely useless server...why ban? Even if it benefits no one, what is the problem? (Not asking about the "nuisance" of having to ban the server from the list; asking why it should be banned in the first place)

aP|Nelg wrote:
Can anyone share what this is about, and why its on the list?
Your curiosity seems innocent enough. Short answer: because it can.
aP|Nelg wrote:
aaaand it's still up...
Given your earlier posts, why do you care if it is? Or why would you want it taken down? How would you feel if people posted threads that resulted in your 1/1 server(s) being taken down from the list? They are just as strange and they "don't work" all the same.
You started this thread with general curiosity, so why does it seem like you're out just to take down a server?
Holy crap Durf. You are getting triggered over SWAG. XD I'm not sure why... Anyway, swag shouldn't be allowed to even have a server, he is a known IP harvester, comment spammer, toxic mean person, etc. (you know, swag :P ) Honestly, all this fuss is over nothing. But you know, it is mean when he threatens to DDoS your server or when he tracks your IP and uses UDPs to boost your ping up to over a thousand, and your server becomes unplayable. That shouldn't be allowed.
This topic is long since expired and no longer applies. I doubt Durf is actually reading anymore, as he seems to have given up on tron (and since he is banned from the forums). In fact, I almost think this topic should be locked.