Strange new server that doesnt work?

Topics and posts about all other servers...
User avatar
aP|Nelg
Match Winner
Posts: 558
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:22 pm
Contact:

Strange new server that doesnt work?

Post by aP|Nelg »

I noticed a strange server on the list. On armagetron it appears as 666/666:
snapshot20.png
However, the browser at hashpickup shows it as 255/255:
snapshot21.png
Can anyone share what this is about, and why its on the list?

User avatar
aP|Nelg
Match Winner
Posts: 558
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Strange new server that doesnt work?

Post by aP|Nelg »

ok well, looks like the server went down...

User avatar
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 2333
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:09 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Strange new server that doesnt work?

Post by compguygene »

I saw that too. If you go to the associated website, they are trying to sell you an "Illuminati Membership" Certificate for $16.99. Looks to me that they were just trying to sell more memberships via a tron server.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm

User avatar
aP|Nelg
Match Winner
Posts: 558
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Strange new server that doesnt work?

Post by aP|Nelg »

I checked the IP of the server. 104.4.114.54. Matches swag. :o

User avatar
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 1659
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:11 pm

Re: Strange new server that doesnt work?

Post by Light »

Random marketing people would have to be stupid to find an open source game with such a small community and host a modified server allowing nobody in. Sounds like an obvious troll to me?

Also, Z-Man did this before as part of the ramp server for April Fools.

User avatar
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 1843
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse
Contact:

Re: Strange new server that doesnt work?

Post by kyle »

Light wrote:Also, Z-Man did this before as part of the ramp server for April Fools.
What do you mean, I was playing in that server! (also I think it was wrtl that hosted it)
Image

User avatar
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 1659
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:11 pm

Re: Strange new server that doesnt work?

Post by Light »

kyle wrote:
Light wrote:Also, Z-Man did this before as part of the ramp server for April Fools.
What do you mean, I was playing in that server! (also I think it was wrtl that hosted it)
Sorry, my mistake. :P

User avatar
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 2333
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:09 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Strange new server that doesnt work?

Post by compguygene »

Light wrote:Random marketing people would have to be stupid to find an open source game with such a small community and host a modified server allowing nobody in. Sounds like an obvious troll to me?

Also, Z-Man did this before as part of the ramp server for April Fools.
Well, it could be trolling I suppose. But it has been my experience to never underestimate the stupidity of marketers. I have seen much stupider ideas with poorer execution.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm

User avatar
Z-Man
God & Project Admin
Posts: 11258
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: Cologne, Jabber: [email protected]
Contact:

Re: Strange new server that doesnt work?

Post by Z-Man »

The specific IP has been banned from my master servers.
aP|Nelg wrote:Matches swag. :o
Oh? Sounds plausible. I'll double check that. If true, I'll work out his subnet and do stuff. Not the first time he ran unwanted servers.

User avatar
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD
Posts: 6704
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:03 pm

Re: Strange new server that doesnt work?

Post by Tank Program »

That IP corresponds to other gem servers such as...

Code: Select all

[2014/11/24 23:24:04] [33] Acknowledged server: 104.4.114.54:4535, name: "Domination's Team Sumo Brawl!"
[2014/12/20 22:28:31] [33] Acknowledged server: 104.4.114.54:4534, name: "join if you are gay ok thanks"
[2015/01/07 03:29:18] [33] Acknowledged server: 104.4.114.54:4534, name: "That one server with people"
[2015/01/18 05:23:23] [33] Acknowledged server: 104.4.114.54:4534, name: "Illuminati Confirmed /_"
Also, a few different random names in IRC.
Image

User avatar
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 1659
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:11 pm

Re: Strange new server that doesnt work?

Post by Light »

Tank Program wrote:That IP corresponds to other gem servers such as...

Code: Select all

[2014/11/24 23:24:04] [33] Acknowledged server: 104.4.114.54:4535, name: "Domination's Team Sumo Brawl!"
[2014/12/20 22:28:31] [33] Acknowledged server: 104.4.114.54:4534, name: "join if you are gay ok thanks"
[2015/01/07 03:29:18] [33] Acknowledged server: 104.4.114.54:4534, name: "That one server with people"
[2015/01/18 05:23:23] [33] Acknowledged server: 104.4.114.54:4534, name: "Illuminati Confirmed /_"
Also, a few different random names in IRC.
That matches [email protected], which is Zulu, ain't it? I have a hard time keeping so many different names in order since I don't talk to most of them. lol

User avatar
Z-Man
God & Project Admin
Posts: 11258
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: Cologne, Jabber: [email protected]
Contact:

Re: Strange new server that doesnt work?

Post by Z-Man »

Can't confirm it's Swag. His previous known actions with (we think) unmasked IPs are from different ISPs. So no range bans yet. Good thing you can't host servers through any of the popular anonymization services.

User avatar
takburger
Match Winner
Posts: 600
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:34 pm

Re: Strange new server that doesnt work?

Post by takburger »

Light wrote:Random marketing people would have to be stupid to find an open source game with such a small community and host a modified server allowing nobody in. Sounds like an obvious troll to me?

Also, Z-Man did this before as part of the ramp server for April Fools.
It is not marketing. I don't think on earth someone would have bought that strategy, if so, then give them my number :x
Image

Durf
Match Winner
Posts: 426
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:35 pm

Re: Strange new server that doesnt work?

Post by Durf »

Who cares?
This isn't all that different from a server with 1/1. No one could join it anyway (yea I tried).

Seems like a bug exploit (custom compiled server); how big of a problem is this anyway?

Amaso
Core Dumper
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:34 am

Re: Strange new server that doesnt work?

Post by Amaso »

Durf wrote:Who cares?
This isn't all that different from a server with 1/1. No one could join it anyway (yea I tried).

Seems like a bug exploit (custom compiled server); how big of a problem is this anyway?
THANK YOU

Post Reply