Self-Moderating Fortress

Topics and posts about all other servers...
Durf
Match Winner

Self-Moderating Fortress

Post by Durf »

It's a fortress server.
So what's different?
A script forces players to comply to a chosen etiquette: winners attack or alternate (when less than 4v4)

How does it force them?
6 options to deal with an illegitimate attacker:
0 = off, do nothing
1 = text reminder (spams the screen for them to turn back)
2 = remove the zone of the winning team (nothing to attack)
3 = teleport them back to their side when they cross halfway
4 = lower their rubber until it is approximately 0.1 rubber left (sty+ct+ap only, would do nothing in sty+ct)
5 = kill any illegitimate attacker when they cross the halfway point

Only moderators or greater can change mode and etiquette options.
(it is possible to have the access level required to do so adjusted, even changeable in game)

What does this mean?
Hopefully it means:
- a better public fort!
- no more having to remind a noob when they should be defending or attacking!
- trolls are forced to comply as well!
- easy to follow structure and a notice of who is the attacking team when the round starts!
- No more having to rage quit from a public fort game because of people that won't play "public fort".

As the picture implies, the server is currently available to play on!
Unfortunately though, the server is much too laggy.

So why am I posting?
This script is available to anyone that wants it for their own fort server.
Add onto an existing fort server, or host an entirely new one!
IMO this can fulfill some much needed structure for both pros and noobs alike!
Public fort NEEDS this!

Give it a try and let me know what you think!
The server is currently playing as "Winners attack" when it's not reg; and using mode 2 (zone removal).
(server also has my /servers and /goto commands! "/help script" in server for more info)

Contact me via PM or email if you want it.
(normally I would make this available on my website but unfortunately it needs lots of updates)
Hope you guys like it!
orion
Match Winner

Re: Self-Moderating Fortress

Post by orion »

good server for those who likes the "street rules" of winner attack, haha.

even if i follow the rule when everyone agree I dont really like -winner atk-, otherwise I would go to Onslaught server.

keep making great servers durf!
Durf
Match Winner

Post by Durf »

Thanks for the feedback!
Glad you like the idea.

Just in case this part wasn't too clear:
The script can also force "alternating attack" instead.
(both options are only enforced when players are less than 4 vs 4, otherwise it's regular)

Also there is an "off" option so no forcing of any kind takes place, for those that might want to turn it off for some reason (like playing 1v1 fort or a team practice session where they play 5v1).
I've included options for just about everything I could think of at the time.

Thanks again!
I still have a few surprises up my sleeve :wink:
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

Id like to see a server that forces attacking in general. I tire of watching pussies hide in thier own box and pretend to be good because I get bored and suicide.
Durf
Match Winner

Post by Durf »

Perhaps it is their intention to bore you.
After all, fortress has many viable strategies.

Etiquette aside, all that really matters is having your team next to "Winner: " at the end of the match.
That means anything goes so long as you end up winning, even if it means to play like a pussy.

Albeit, I agree that I personally dislike that strategy. Though it is still viable in fortress.
But that's really a personal thing; I tend to run head first into my problems to solve them by force.

<rant>
I think a big problem with "fort strategies" is the belief that 'one must do this' or 'that' in order to properly play fortress.
Preconceived notions of how fortress is meant to be played is the very thing that inevitably makes a majority of fortress players conform to a known standard (the standard grind, standard split, standard sweep, etc..).
Which there is nothing wrong with that in itself; however, things like a torp (torpedo) only exist because someone had the balls to think differently. And in itself, a torp is fine too (very effective at times!).

My point is that the narrow mindedness of teams (to be honest, I barely have any credibility to even say that as a general statement) is what keeps them conforming to standards.
That being said, I think an entire team could focus on being nothing but pussies, or have the entire team sumo their zone, or attempt some massive 6 person defense, or split and create an 'impassable' wall rim-to-rim with 3 or 4 players.
Not all strategies have to make sense at first, and some of them may need some work before becoming more successful than others (not all strategies will be as easy to make happen as a torp).
And something to offset the ordinary balance is good.
"Let's force these teams to come up with a new defense for our new attacks!"
</rant>

Rant aside, if all that matters is the win, then play the patience game. Beat them at their own game.
Or just go after them and pwn. Iunno. :s

However, anything is possible with scripting, really..
(even some kinda fort game where attacking is necessary...I'm already getting ideas just typing this out)
If you want something made, prepare a server for it and I can script you something np ;)
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

It definately is thier intention, its how they get back at me anymore. Its petty and annoying, but I guess when you only have one weapon, it would be stupid to not use it.

Xdude taught the world.

What I love about fort is when you hole thier wall as a team, and they cry like little girls.
"ITS NOT FAIR" well then make your ******* wall not have holes in it dick.

Instead of camping your own box, destroy your enemies, then they cant hole your wall.

Why the **** should I suck because you dont know how to deal with it?
blondie
Core Dumper

Post by blondie »

meant to pm