Lightron Hosting Server Change

Topics and posts about all other servers...
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Lightron Hosting Server Change

Post by Light »

For those of you that use my servers, and the tournament servers .. I've gone and switched servers. This really doesn't mean much to most, though I just wanted to give a heads up and ask for a little feedback.

When you're in one of my servers, if you notice something is not working or missing, please let me know. The goal of this is to have more stable servers. The CPU is able to handle much more than the other server. Along with this, there's another GB of RAM in there. RAM really isn't an issue, but it's there either way. Lastly, I'm not using Ubuntu Server anymore, but installed Debian. This should keep a few extra resources available.

Hopefully I can provide less laggy servers now. Though it wasn't terrible lag, I was extremely bothered by the reasoning for the lag. This also clears up a hardware issue I was having with downloads / writing that was causing the whole system to freeze up.

So, we'll see if this works out. So far, it appears everything is working flawlessly. (:

Oh, and if all goes well, I may allow more slots used for free hosting. We'll give that a few days though first to see how this is working out for us. I'll test more tomorrow, but I really need to sleep.

// Edit - Just a note for Sine. This isn't a new network it's on, just a new physical server. So, the stats shouldn't need to be changed for it I don't think. Also, it's still all reachable with the domain lightron.org I just pointed the ports to the new server.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: Lightron Hosting Server Change

Post by sinewav »

Light wrote:// Edit - Just a note for Sine. This isn't a new network it's on, just a new physical server. So, the stats shouldn't need to be changed for it I don't think. Also, it's still all reachable with the domain lightron.org I just pointed the ports to the new server.
Oh good, thanks for letting me know. I wouldn't change the scores for the same IP since the tracker we use is a coarse estimate of quality; and I think most of that has to do with geography, not hardware. Also, I started to decay the ratings to increase the accuracy of performance data.
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Lightron Hosting Server Change

Post by Light »

sinewav wrote:Oh good, thanks for letting me know. I wouldn't change the scores for the same IP since the tracker we use is a coarse estimate of quality; and I think most of that has to do with geography, not hardware. Also, I started to decay the ratings to increase the accuracy of performance data.
Sadly for me, hardware was the biggest issue. There's nothing amazing in this one, but it should solve the issue of CPU easily maxing out. My connection is pretty stable, though as you said, my location plays a bit of a role in it as well.

It seems to be running quite smoothly, so hopefully the only thing this means is that there's enough of an improvement to be noticeable during things like the Ladle. There's little things here 'n there I'm realizing I forgot to add, like curl had to be added this morning, but for the most part, I don't think anything that affects the game servers is missing. Then again, I could very easily be wrong. :P