[TT] Tron Times: Annual Tournament Viability

Striving for unique and challenging game play.

Moderator: sinewav

sinewav
Graphic Artist

[TT] Tron Times: Annual Tournament Viability

Post by sinewav »

There has been talk of a "TRON Olympics" since before I stared playing this game. Our current general participation is so low we probably missed the opportunity to have an event like this. However, I have been thinking about how such an event might work in practice. It is possible our small community can support a multi-mode tournament. I propose we try it. The framework I have in mind is simple enough and purposefully designed around a small player base. To make it work we need no more than 16 persons and, realistically, no less than 12. This is a perfectly reasonable number and something we should be able to reach with enough time and promotion.

Speaking of time, this is not intended to be a monthly event. An annual or bi-annual meeting would make sense, but could even be quarterly if successful enough. But when? In the past, Armagetron had a high number of student players and we planned accordingly. This is probably not true anymore. Events should probably be scheduled around popular international holidays like Christmas, Easter, New Years, etc (some people are busy with family, but not everyone). The next favorable window of opportunity is Christmas / New Years. I will wager a guess that in a few months people will be ready for some sort of organized tournament given that Ladle is no longer played.

Below is a rough sketch of my idea. The basic principal is this: The outcome of each stage determines the position of players for the next. We start with no teams (anarchy), then build into pairs, then teams of three or four, then end with two teams of six or more for a the final. The modes are still debatable and we might want to build custom games for this event. We can even have several modes to choose from and select them before the event starts. This is a good opportunity to resurrect old games and try new ones.

If the community is interested I would also like to set up a website where players can subscribe to email notifications. With a community this sparse and disconnected we will need every tool available to remind people of dates and progress. And I guess the event needs a name. Right now I am calling it "TronAthon" as a placeholder until something better comes along. :)
Attachments
tronathon.png
Pre
Average Program

Re: [TT] Tron Times: Annual Tournament Viability

Post by Pre »

seems like an advanced version of what magi had in mind for sumo with the GSG.
it definitely sounds like something that would be fun for everyone involved in, so why not try it out?
if some people volunteer to set it up all we would need to do is contact some guys and i'm sure we could make it work
Magi
Match Winner

Post by Magi »

Pre wrote:seems like an advanced version of what magi had in mind for sumo with the GSG.
Holy crap why did I get a job
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

bye
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

What would really help is compiling relevant settings here. I need a recent CTF configuration, a popular Team Sumo config, and most importantly, a good LMS/Deathmatch config. My first inclination is to use something like Mudpuddle, but I guess Classic Sub will work, or anything that doesn't freak people out too much. Now, I really like the idea of ending on Wild Fort because of the variety, though we should probably curate the maps so they are a little more similar to each other. Some of those Wild Fort maps are ridiculous and are more novelties than seriously competitive (I'm looking at you, Chico). Once I get the configurations I can build a test server. If it works as expected, then we can open the sign-ups for an event in December.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

My NY server is seriously under-utilized so if you would like me to setup a user account for you to host the server, just ask. I will post configs later.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm