AoT Tron Experience

Striving for unique and challenging game play.

Moderator: sinewav

sinewav
Graphic Artist

AoT Tron Experience

Post by sinewav »

INCAM IS BACK.

I am now hosting this server at home for a limited time. This is yet another good use for the $30 laptop I bought 5 years ago, which was originally manufactured in 2003. Ha! This computer just won't die. I've been using it continually since the day I got it.

Caution: My IP is dynamic and have no plans to do anything about it.

The future of AoT includes configuring this server to run Advanced Racing alongside Tron Exp, and maybe some others, though quite a few have already been cloned by Wild West (Thanks Gene!). Maybe one day I'll get inspired to work on MAZE-A-TRON II and a new type of racing server that's never been done before (an idea I've been sitting on for years).
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Re: AoT Tron Experience

Post by ConVicT »

Racing severs? :roll:

Honest opinion on this, seriously!
Stop faffing about with crap!
If you have time for Tron stuff, do something good.
There are loads of racing servers (empty ones). What does that tell you?

I'll tell you what it tells me: Racing servers are to everyone else what they are to me... Something to do when your favourite server is empty!
Bet you wish you could force people to use certain textures :lol:. Then, maybe the maps could look different, or at least feel different.

Waste'a time, man.
Just look at all of Light's servers, they're above all that crap, yet, they're dead; just another example of servers that are only played when there's nobody else anywhere else lol.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

ConVicT wrote:If you have time for Tron stuff, do something good.
It's not always about doing something good, it's about doing something I find interesting and experimenting with new ideas. Also, I don't have time for Tron stuff, otherwise I would be revealing new servers instead of talking about how I might make them one day.
ConVicT wrote:There are loads of racing servers (empty ones). What does that tell you?
It tells me nothing. There are tons of empty servers of all kinds. I'm not interested in making something popular. I'm interested in the challenge of realizing ideas. Also, racing used to be extremely popular. Servers like Advanced Racing and Delicious Deserts Racing spawned novel code for the game, like winzone timers, rubber zones, and high-score displays.
ConVicT wrote:Waste'a time, man.
Not if I learn something new in the process!

Why don't YOU make a kick-ass server instead of posting about mine?
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

I had to put up those AOT servers. I love to play in them! I still haven't quite beaten Maze-a-Tron. If you ever want me to take down one that I am hosting because you are replacing it or want to host it yourself, just let me know.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

sinewav wrote: Why don't YOU make a kick-ass server instead of posting about mine?
Been there, done that, game died, wasted money.
Even had my own racing server too. It was as you'd expect... Empty, just like every other one.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

ConVicT wrote:...wasted money.
I usually see money spent on Arma falling under the category of "fun hobby with a much higher return on investment than a 6-pack of beer."
ConVicT wrote:Even had my own racing server too. It was as you'd expect... Empty, just like every other one.
It's too bad, you're a little late to the game. I was too. I started making servers back in 2008 and the game was already dead in the sense that players had already created factions centered around rubber and cycle_delay. People rarely played new servers, but sometimes one would get popular for several months, like shooting and racing.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

sinewav wrote:I usually see money spent on Arma falling under the category of "fun hobby with a much higher return on investment than a 6-pack of beer."
I agree with you there, but an empty server isn't much of a return. I'd rather have the 6-pack, and I'd return them if they were empty :wink:
ConVicT wrote: Bet you wish you could force people to use certain textures :lol:. Then, maybe the maps could look different, or at least feel different.
Back to this.
If my client can download map files for me, do you think I could make it download textures and sounds and make it use them for just one round?
I've always wanted to make a server that could play music, with a script that let people "/choose <song>", but I'm not especially great with computers, so have no idea how to make it happen.

For now, I'll make it a server rule:
On round <X>, everyone must listen to <song> :lol:
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

ConVicT wrote:I agree with you there, but an empty server isn't much of a return. I'd rather have the 6-pack, and I'd return them if they were empty
Ha! Good point, good point. The difference with me is I specifically make games that are based around a strong single player experience. I play in my servers more than anyone, alone because they are fun, and I'm just happy if someone wants to play along with me.
ConVicT wrote:If my client can download map files for me, do you think I could make it download textures and sounds and make it use them for just one round?
There is actually a development blueprint for this and it's been talked about a lot. Naturally, as I am someone who has gone to great lengths to create games, textures, models, and sounds, I think this is something that would really increase the user experience. Seriously, there is no one here who wants this more than me, but I never learned to program well.

And while I am reminiscing, here are some textures/sounds I have designed for my games:
TRON Experience
Advanced Racing
Original Arcade
Destroy the MCP
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

I was just about to start making my own moviepacks.
This will help.

Do you know if anyone has ever made a Horror moviepack?

P.s Any moviepack ideas welcomed.
I'm not stuck for ideas or anything but I'd much rather be making a moviepack that will be used as opposed to one that might be used.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

ConVicT wrote:Do you know if anyone has ever made a Horror moviepack?
Yes, though it depends on what you consider "horror." Years ago, Misery made a moviepack that featured skeletons riding motorcycles. It's most fantastic moviepack never to be released. :x

Some of the moviepacks I've made involve stealing textures from other lightcycles games like glTron, Cycles 3D, RevoTron, and others. I also made a moviepack based on the game Descent. How about making an Arma moviepack based on a different art aesthetic, like Halo or Starcraft or whatever your fellow tronner are playing? (I have no idea what people play.)

Hmm, this reminds me, I've never made a Cybertron themed moviepack...
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

I like racing, **** the haters.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

If I had time I would make a Hitchcock-themed moviepack with that Citroen DS.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

sinewav wrote:
ConVicT wrote:Do you know if anyone has ever made a Horror moviepack?
Yes, though it depends on what you consider "horror."
Well it would be something along the lines of the usual grid but you're entering the grid post-horrific events, so there'd be blood on the floors, maybe some body parts; hands, bits of legs, heads etc, and maybe a few bodies impaled in various ways on the walls.
Also, the cycle would be a circular saw blade, but I'm sure I've seen that somewhere...

I'll upload it whenever I get around to finishing it.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

I was just playing in your newest incarnation of this server. I wanted to give you some feedback. The combination of the new acceleration and no brakes makes this almost unplayable, at least for me. It seems to me that if you are going to do that kind of accel, some brakes would be nice to get at least a chance to control things. The way things are right now, in just a few seconds it is just to fast to control for me. Perhaps others do better, this is just my impression.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Or, instead of brakes, how about playing with "CYCLE_TURN_SPEED_FACTOR"?