Ladle Tool: Randomteam Maker

Striving for unique and challenging game play.

Moderator: sinewav

sinewav
Graphic Artist

Ladle Tool: Randomteam Maker

Post by sinewav »

It's practically useless!
Randomteam Maker

I'm so lazy, I no longer want to copy/paste the individual teams off the wiki into a text document. Plus, it's hard because the links get in the way, and doing it code-side is also a pain in the ass. So I made a tool that crawls through the team list wiki code and prepares it as arguments for .randomteam by taking each team and removing the spaces and special characters that can break the script.

However, there is a whole lot it doesn't do.

First, it doesn't know anything about seeds, so you still have to double check the number and place the seeds in order. Easy enough. Second, teams without websites show up generically as "LadleTeam" and need to be edited by hand. Not hard. And third, special characters break the shit out of this thing. I don't have the time or patience to validate all this crap. Just stop using non-alphanumeric crap in your names. In the future when that happens I'll just list your team as "Jerk Squad." Finally, you have to put the spaces back team names when you fill the bracket, but you had to do that anyway, so whatever.

But even with all that, the tool still saves a few minutes.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: Ladle Tool: Randomteam Maker

Post by sinewav »

sinewav wrote:However, there is a whole lot it doesn't do.
I fixed a few of these things today so the tool is a little harder to break. It now finds all the teams without websites. It will never solve seeding.

For the few people who actually use the tool site, I made some overall improvements. Most of it is code-side (I had regrets looking at my old, messy code). A added navigation to the site and the background color changes randomly because that's fun! (Three different colors) I might make some more cosmetic changes soon.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: Ladle Tool: Randomteam Maker

Post by sinewav »

I fixed the missing space after the seed number and before the team list. I also added the ability to choose output for either !Frobot or ]lrjbot since .armabot died a long time ago (god have mercy, we miss it so).