Throwback time. Old Nexus9

Striving for unique and challenging game play.

Moderator: sinewav

biasoner
Average Program

Throwback time. Old Nexus9

Post by biasoner »

tRonPaul here. My old lifelong friend Sine.wav turned me on to this game 6 months after he started playing. I think he played then for sentimental reasons as well as interest in design and programming. I played strictly for sentimental reasons, being older and having lived through the original movie (2nd grade elementary school) and arcade games etc etc. I was Tron for halloween in 2nd grade :-)
So, when I started, Nexus9 was in its original form and was very popular. I had no interest in any other modes. The N9 clan was a programming club from some school. N9-Alpha and many others played regularly. Madmax, Acid, Paperclip, and others played there regularly (sorry if i missed anyone). The single binding, no rubber, infinite tail, provided a subconcious perspective on strategy that benefited ones play in all modes.
long story short. Many other versions of N9 came out and they were faster, laggier, etc etc. and no fun IMO.
I got together with sine and asked him to help me try to duplicate what I felt was the old N9 (strictly be feel and perception). I think we nailed it. Acid gave it good reviews and alot of the younger players like it.
Feel free to check it out. It is 'pieces of 8' and usually hangs out by the AOT servers in the list.

-best- ~}3t|tRonPaul

p.s. expanding DZ is broke, so there is a winzone.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: Throwback time. Old Nexus9

Post by sinewav »

Server name again, as it's a little buried there: Pieces of 8.

N9 went through a lot of changes, but this is something that kind of feels like N9 when we started playing, when the server was packed every night. Currently, brakes are disabled and rubber is set to "1" since setting it any lower isn't really that much different and it's much more reliable this way too.
biasoner wrote:p.s. expanding DZ is broke, so there is a winzone.
Yeah, that DZ was one of the best parts of N9. I think I'll move this to a server with a working branch, probably do that Sunday night if I remember.

If you classic N9 players stop by and have a suggestion, let me know. Also, Mods can move this post to the AoT section if you want, thanks.
Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Concord »

Yahoo!
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

I love this server, but I rarely see anyone in it :( Hopefully bringing back the old settings will get some players in the server, so I can pwn all you old people. :D
Boxed
saragei
Core Dumper

Post by saragei »

Love it there. And it's fun to watch players enter and after a minute commenting: "Damn, my keys are broken", "Gah, can't triple here"; amazingly enough, some of them stay and give their best to play as single-binders. Thanks for setting this server up sine and tRonPaul.
Never trust a species that grins all the time. It’s up to something. —Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
Warum sage ich überhaupt was? Das ist, als würde man seinem Navi widersprechen —Bernd das Brot, Kika-Lounge
theroze
Match Winner

Post by theroze »

saragei wrote:Thanks for setting this server up sine and tRonPaul.
apparition wrote:You being able to kill so many players that quickly and efficiently is evidence that the community skill level must be dropping... Sad :/
Reigning champion of: Sir-spam-a-lot 2011
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

I liked the title "The Mainframe" better (minus the asterisks). :) What's the "Pieces of 8" reference? I know what it is, obviously, but in the context of Arma/Tron.
rubber is set to "1" since setting it any lower isn't really that much different and it's much more reliable this way too.
People these days are calling everything below 5 "no rubber" anyway. :roll:

I already sent a [!] note to mods suggesting this be moved to AoT or Other, but which you think would be more appropriate?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Phytotron wrote:I liked the title "The Mainframe"
That server is waiting to be resurrected.
Phytotron wrote:What's the "Pieces of 8" reference? I know what it is, obviously, but in the context of Arma/Tron.
No reference. 8 is one less than 9 and tRonPaul must have had progressive rock on his brain when he blurted it out.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Was The Mainframe different? Thought it was the same settings, renamed.
sinewav wrote:
Phytotron wrote:What's the "Pieces of 8" reference? I know what it is, obviously, but in the context of Arma/Tron.
No reference. 8 is one less than 9 and tRonPaul must have had progressive rock on his brain when he blurted it out.
I had to Google that. I thought Spanish coinage.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

By the way, forgot to mention and ask, did you do anything special with the AI? They do funny things. Here are some samples.
Archive.zip
(1.62 MiB) Downloaded 361 times
They also make boxes like this, but on a larger scale. Made this one myself for quick illustration since I couldn't get a good screenshot of the AI doing it, due to poor camera angle. But, leave them alone at the start of the round and you'll see it.
On the Holodeck
On the Holodeck
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Phytotron wrote:By the way, forgot to mention and ask, did you do anything special with the AI?
No, but Z-Man did. Those are the zone-seeking AI he wrote a while back. I was using that build for something else before. Ideally, this Pieces of 8 server should be moved. Haven't gotten around to it.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Attached are the settings for this server if anyone wants to take it over.
Attachments
p08.txt
(740 Bytes) Downloaded 302 times