Ladle Tool: Server Distributor

Striving for unique and challenging game play.

Moderator: sinewav

sinewav
Graphic Artist

Ladle Tool: Server Distributor

Post by sinewav »

Placing the servers for Ladle is too much like actual work for me. And after having a bit of trouble training someone else to do it I decided we either needed some sort of fancy diagram or a utility to do the work for us. I opted for the later.

It's based off one of kyle's unfinished projects. Servers "flow smoothly" according to the guidelines, and seeded teams will never start in a finals server (which some people believe to be an advantage at the end of Ladle). The script just spits out some wiki code like ]randomteam so editing is that much easier -- but this is only for a 32-team bracket starting with the sweet sixteens. The rest should be done by hand for now.

I didn't bother to add any filters to the inputs so it's all wysiwyg. Feel free to complain or make suggestions, though I'm not likely to do much more with it.

Server Distributor
Last edited by sinewav on Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Ladle Tool: Server Distributor

Post by INW »

This should be implemented with also adding the teams which in turn, will create a full bracket by itself!

Adding a ton of servers and 20-30 WST teams or 64 players for a sumo tourny takes nearly an hour :|

But this is nice.
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Nicely done, sinewav. The design is simple and intuitive. I also like the new background image.

Btw, you have an XSS-issue. If you're using input from the client, you should always use htmlspecialchars() or equivalent when displaying it.
AI-team
Shutout Match Winner

Post by AI-team »

dlh wrote:Btw, you have an XSS-issue. If you're using input from the client, you should always use htmlspecialchars() or equivalent when displaying it.
dlh hacked id forums!

"95% of people believe in every quote you post on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Version 2: Now supports both 16 and 32 team brackets (but really only the ones linked to here).
Attachments
sd-v2.png
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

dlh wrote:Btw, you have an XSS-issue. If you're using input from the client, you should always use htmlspecialchars() or equivalent when displaying it.
You know, I was never able to get that working. Maybe someone can help? I've tried putting htmlspecialchars() in a few places but nothing seems to have an effect. Here is the basics of my code:

Code: Select all

$eu1 = $_POST['eu1'];
$us1 = $_POST['us1'];

$server = array($eu1,$us1);

if (something)
    {
    $output = "| RD1-server01=".$server[0].
              "| RD1-server02=".$server[1];
    }

echo '<pre>'.$output.'</pre>';
Jip
Round Winner

Post by Jip »

sinewav wrote:

$eu1 = $_POST['eu1'];
$us1 = $_POST['us1'];

$server = array($eu1,$us1);

if (something)
    {
    $output = "| RD1-server01=".$server[0].
              "| RD1-server02=".$server[1];
    }

echo '<pre>'.$output.'</pre>';

$server = array(htmlspecialchars($eu1),htmlspecialchars($us1));
should work.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Actually, it looks like the problem was related to either magic quotes or something else to do with literals (not sure which). Either way, "stripslashes" fixed it up nicely:

echo '<pre>'.stripslashes($output).'</pre>';
Thanks for the help Jipper.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Win one for the Jipper? Sorry.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Slight update to this tool. The text points out that even numbered Ladles play finals in EU servers. This is something I always forget. I also changed the the servers from US to NA because 'North America' would be proper if we ever get Canadian Ladle servers.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Major overhaul, thanks to inspiration from the CTF Brawl crowd.

Changelog:

:done: Users can now distribute servers for common 8-team and 4-team brackets. In each case, having backup servers is implied. If no backups are available just use the highest ranked servers until you run out.

:done: There is now an option to fully randomize the brackets, but the placement across finals still follows the logical pattern derived from Ladle, which of course makes the most sense. The goal is to provide smooth transitions without giving any team a server advantage.

Just a note, the tool is designed to work with the following templates:
  • Template:32TeamBracket
    Template:16TeamBracket
    Template:8ctftourneybrackets
    Template:4TeamBracket
I had to rewrite large chunks of code (it took hours!) and this version is not well tested. Please let me know if you find any bugs.
Last edited by sinewav on Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Core Dumper

Post by *16 »

Tested 4 and 8 teams, works fine! I didn't find any bugs. Nice work sine!
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Major changes to the back-end of this tool now that Ladle has moved to double-elimination. The front-end has changed slightly and is more literal in meaning. Rather than choosing the size of the bracket (8, 16, 32) you now choose the supported bracket template. They are:
  • 16TeamBracket (legacy, single-elim)
  • DoubleElimLadleBracket (16-team, double-elim)
  • DoubleElimLadleBracket8
  • DoubleElimLadleBracket4
Ladle Enthusiasts will then choose whether the Ladle number is Even/Odd rather than EU/NA. I think this is more intuitive.

The rewrite took a couple hours so I hope we get a least another year out of Ladle to make it worth the effort!
Attachments
Screenshot_2016-02-19_23-02-25.png
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

sinewav wrote:The rewrite took a couple hours so I hope we get a least another year out of Ladle to make it worth the effort!
Have you been on the grid lately? As far as my time zone is concerned, Armagetron seems to grow again, I suppose there just have to be more people starting Fortress games. :)
Magi
Match Winner

Post by Magi »

Word wrote: As far as my time zone is concerned, Armagetron seems to grow again, I suppose there just have to be more people starting Fortress games. :)
Really? Maybe it's because I'm not around much during the day but as far as I've seen there's been near nobody in sumo or fort for the past month.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

bye