Low Rubber Review: Summer 2011

Striving for unique and challenging game play.

Moderator: sinewav

sinewav
Graphic Artist

Low Rubber Review: Summer 2011

Post by sinewav »

I'm appointing myself the official authority on Low Rubber Servers, mostly because I have the strongest prejudice. Occasionally I comb the server browser for something different - and by different I mean something that isn't the standardized physics we see in Sumo and Fort and the stupidly high rubber we see in every other server with the exception of Mud Puddle (whose rubber is still way too high for me). This review is also here to filter out "fake" low rubber server, like this piece of junk: Tempest UK. It claims to be low rubber, but has 15. Totally ridiculous (thus, this public ridicule). LoveBug claims that it should be considered low rubber because the refill rate is slow. I think not.

I understand that rubber is somewhat arbitrary depending on speed and connection quality, so I make sure to test out every one to see if it "feels" low. If your server is not on this list* then your server is not low rubber.

• Agility's Arena »FFA« || Rubber: 2 -- Speed: Medium -- Trails: Long
    This is as close to perfect as you can get in the non-existent low-rubber scene. Clearly a lot of care when into the settings. Yes you can jam into the walls carelessly, but it's very hard to beat out another person's grind and you're not likely to beat out two or three of them in a row. A stable server brings this up to 5/5 stars.

Maho's Tron || Rubber: 1 -- Speed: Medium -- Trails: Infinite
    Default settings, hosted in France I think. Kind of unstable. Nothing noteworthy, but should be included in the list because I think it's nice to have the default settings hosted somewhere at any given time. 2/5 stars.

Moe's Tavern II || Rubber: 1 -- Speed: Medium -- Trails: Short
    Default settings but with a larger grid and trails that a much too short. Could be interesting for new players, but anyone who can play Fort/Sumo would be bored instantly. 1/5 stars.

Nexus9 Deathmatch || Rubber: .2 -- Speed: High -- Trails: Infinite
    Ah yes, Nexus9. Now considered a classic, we can still see games played here on rare occasion. I really think setting up a low-rubber tournament here would be interesting. In fact, I remember discussing that with N9 regulars three years ago. Maybe it's up to me to make it happen? 4/5 stars.

PixelParty.de || Rubber: 3 -- Speed: High -- Trails: Infinite
    This almost looks and feels like a N9 clone. The rubber is more forgiving, which is good because the server is a little unstable, and the cycle delay is shorter with no double-bind restriction. This server is probably what you would get if I remixed N9, haha. 4/5 stars.

And that's all there is, sadly. Two servers that should be on there are the currently missing Shrunkland and Bebop in Harlem. I hope to see them up soon. There was also one server that almost made the cut, named Weapon1. Rubber was set at 4 and the cycle accel was crazy. Unfortunately the base speed made the rubber too effective to be considered low rubber, which is fine since the server was highly unstable anyway. You would need that much rubber just to deal with the lag.

*All AoT servers are all designed to be low rubber unless they are copies of other games.
Attachments
LRR01.png
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Low Rubber Review: Summer 2011

Post by Word »

I miss 111 from Moscow :(
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Word wrote:I miss 111 from Moscow :(
Yeah that one is a lot of fun! You still see it once in a while. In fact, I just saw it a few weeks ago.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Weapon1 is actually the included Breakfast in Hell settings. :D Four may seem like more than necessary at the base speed of 6, but you're never going that slow, anyway. Personally, I take greater exception to the low CYCLE_DELAY.

TBC
LoveBug
Average Program

Post by LoveBug »

well i can claim that it IS low rubber for the reasons that I have stated, its your choice to believe it or not

do you really think i care

this is the problem with armagetron, every one seems to want to argue and fight

this is not my way and i dont understand why it is theirs
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

LoveBug wrote:well i can claim that it IS low rubber for the reasons that I have stated, its your choice to believe it or not
You can also claim the moon is made of cheese and state a bunch of reasons, but you would be wrong, just like you are now.